$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 135.22

7,877 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.6% of Goal | left

Support:

Mark Willis
msg tools
Overall aim: How many games are there on BGG, excluding expansions? Can anyone help?

Here's what I've tried:
I tried doing an advanced search excluding expansions but this only showed 50 pages of 100 games so 5000. But I know it's more than that...

So I thought I'd just take the overall list and take out N/A ranked games... There are approx 85,000 games in the BGG Database, but only approx 12,000 games ranked. It looks like the missing 73,000 games all have N/A ranking.

I know a lot of them are due to being expansions, but some are also due to not having many ratings (for example Rough Justice or the new Iron Throne game).

Anyone know the specific criteria for games being a non-expansion but also not having a ranking? This might help me work out how many N/A games are actually non-expansions...

Can anyone help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
You'd need to query the DB directly using the XML interface, I think. There's no way to find out what you want using the current UI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think games need a certain number of rankings before they qualify for a rating. I don't know what that number is.

Just checked - a game needs 30 user ratings to get a rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
I think games need a certain number of rankings before they qualify for a rating. I don't know what that number is.

Also, games that contain other items (Puerto Rico: Limited Anniversary Edition) are not ranked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:

Also, games that contain other items (Puerto Rico: Limited Anniversary Edition) are not ranked.

They are, however, rated. (They have a 1-10 rating; they do not have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd... highest Geek Rating rank.)

You can use Adv. Search and count the games in recent years. We had nearly 5000 games in 2015, so this method may break later this year. Once you total recent years, like 2000 on, you can probably switch to decades, and then all games before 1950 or so.

The few games created before 1 AD/CE, like Backgammon (-3000), could not be searched for at one point; I'm unsure of the status of this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a time when I could have answered this really quickly.

However, BGG seems to have once again changed the API, with (as before) no guidance on how fast you're allowed to call it. This is too much of a headache for a Sunday morning. Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Willis
msg tools
Thanks for all the thoughts all!

I'll look into these and let you know if I can come up with a number...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.