Subject: If your collection were lost, what games would you repurchase? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is an interesting enough variant on the, "If you could only keep XX games?" question--so I'm asking it. Let's say that aliens landed and stole your games collection in order to study earth culture . . .

Which games do you repurchase?

As far as I know, this questions hasn't been asked before, but my apologies if it has. I think this is a worthy variant for a few reasons:
1) The question of only keeping, say, 10 games is a little weird because why 10? Limiting your game collection is going to be largely due to space and opportunity to play, if you've already made the purchases, but Mottainai takes up a lot less space (and play time) than Earth Reborn (both in my collection now), and they are counted equally in that case.
2) My question also factors in price (also relevant to my previous example), which forces us to consider value in the games--especially if they are more (or less) expensive than when we bought them.
3) For these reasons (and others), KEEPING a game is very different from repurchasing a game.
4) My question doesn't limit your size, but DOES (I think) strike at the heart of which games you truly value/appreciate in a unique way.
5) Technically, this question doesn't limit you to games you already own. There are a few I would add to my new collection, I think, but I can't really justify them with all the games I currently have.

Part of what got me thinking about this is my habit when selling/trading in games, books, movies, etc. When I get an offer from the vendor/buyer, I always ask myself, "Would I ever possibly pay that much to own this again?" If yes, I just keep it. (For example, if someone offered me $5 of trade-in value for X-COM, there is a 100% chance that I might repurchase that some day for $5, so I would just keep it now. Another example: I traded in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 for $25 a few months after it released, having beat it once. I absolutely would have bought it for that price a few years later, but the price had shot up because of the Avengers movie. Oops.) This question is a variant on that philosophy. Basically, which games are truly valuable to me?

Here's my list, so far:

Definite purchases:
1. Mottainai: small, inexpensive, and full of game play.
2. King of Tokyo (+expansions): Must-have for me. I've had too much fun with it.
3. Scythe: New, but too exciting not to keep playing. Probably the most expensive repurchase on my list.
4. Pandemic: An excuse to get in on the reprint and it's expansions.
5. Chess4: When I have the chance to play this 4-player variant on classic chess, I really enjoy it. And it's not too pricey.

If the price was right:
1. Earth Reborn: I love it, but don't get to play it enough. If I played more, it would be a definite buy, for sure.
2. Freedom: The Underground Railroad: I've really enjoyed this, but it would still have to be a good price, I'm afraid (I got a great deal already)
3. Discworld: Ankh Morpork: another great game that I love, but I'm afraid its OOP status might have driven the prices up (haven't checked though).
4. Roll for the Galaxy: I don't own this, but would probably rebuild with it.
5. Blood Rage: Same as RftG above. However, my buddy has both of these (maybe he'd sell 'em to me cheap out of pity!).

I may add others, but off the top of my head, that's it! I didn't plan for that to be exactly 10 games, and I may change it later, as I said, but this has been an interesting thought experiment for me, actually. I have a lot of games that I love having in my collection, but I either don't play them enough to rebuy, or they are too pricey to pay twice.

How about you all? What games would definitely be in your rebuilt collection? Are there any games that you still own but would definitely NOT repurchase? (**cough**galaxytrucker**cough**) Are there any out of print or "special edition" games that would be tough for you to replace and would be especially big losses? (I hope that's not too traumatic to think about. cry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: If you collection were lost, what games would you repurchase?
The ones I can get cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the repurchasing would have to be in stages rather than all at once so the first few games I would buy are:
Elder Sign
Pandemic: The Cure
Istanbul

In one purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
I'd probably upgrade or do things differently. I wouldn't rebuy Pandemic, but I'd likely get Pandemic Legacy. I would get the new Dead of Winter instead of replacing the old. I'd do Zombicide, but be much more selective over the bits I buy.

Takenoko would be a definite rebuy. I just hope I could track down the expansion again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to start from zero ? The sequence would be highly guided by the ones most likely having opponents/opportunities ready to play immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
I'd have to start with Carcassonne. It was my gateway game, and I've used it to get others into the hobby.

El Grande was my first real Euro game so I'd need to get that again too.

Codenames has been such a hit with my friends that don't play boardgames so it's an instant rebuy. And it's fairly inexpensive.

I've never played King of Tokyo, but King of New York has a great fun to cost ratio.

Legends of Andor is a co-operative game that I really enjoy that checks off my puzzle and solo play requirements.

Love Letter and Coup to have some quick, social deduction games.

Mysterium is another fantastic gateway game of the co-operative variety that has been a huge hit with everyone I've played it with.

Niagara is my family game of choice.

The Princes of Florence was my favourite game for a long time while my collection was still rather small, so I'd need to grab it again.

Saint Petersburg and Medici are both fantastic games that are easily taught and don't take too long to play.

And finally, I'd need to finish by repurchasing Quantum, Splendor, Thurn and Taxis and Vikings. These are all games that I really enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw the thread title I was all set to say a lot about why I liked this particular version of the "reduce your collection because X" question but then I read your whole post and you pretty much covered it. Suffice to say I like the question and it's something a little more interesting to think about.

For me I really don't think I'd re-buy many of my games. So much of what I buy is because it's new and exciting and I just want to try it. I don't have a local store where I can try games and I buy 99% of the games I play with my friends so basically if I want to try a game I just have to buy it. And after I've played them a couple times I'm usually good and if I don't play them again it's fine. So this version of the question really forces me to think about what games I still really want to play.

It turns out for the most part it's just the small, inexpensive games I'd be willing to replace. Games like Qwixx, Rolling America, Love Letter, Rhino Hero, and maybe Coup are ones I'd still like to have around.

When it comes to games that cost $30 or more, most of the time I'd rather try something new than replace the ones I have. But the ones I would still want to have around are 7 Wonders, Imperial Settlers, Terra Mystica, Bruges, The Castles of Burgundy, Guildhall, and Notre Dame.

The biggest surprise for me is that as much as I love The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, and it's my favorite game, I don't think I would replace it. I have everything and that's 5 years worth of content. I've played it a ton and I love it to death but if it were gone I don't see myself spending all the money it would take to get it all again. I'd probably just take the opportunity to get into a different LCG. Hopefully the Arkham Horror Card Game that FFG is going to announce any day now? Right? Right?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really interesting replies so far.

Mortego: I'd also have to repurchase in stages (money and all).

Ian: I like the idea of changing your methods a little.

Tomello: Agreed. Opportunity is a big driver for repurchases, isn't it? Thus my beloved Earth Reborn is on the maybe list.

Joshua: That's a really interesting list. Nice mix of old and new.

Josh: Glad you liked the question. I wouldn't rebuy too many either. Weirdly, a lot of my small, cheap games don't make the cut (Coup, Love Letter, Sail to India, etc.). Although a few have a good shot, such as Resistance (for groups) and maybe Condotierre.

Still, I like the way this question made me think about my collection as well. There are some games I really like owning that didn't make the list as of now (Cosmic Encounter, Dice Town, etc.)

Keep 'em coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Affordable games ... that I have played !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I would repurchase first the ones that are hard to find e.g. anniversary editions. If the prices aren't to high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think i have around 100 games right now and it's seems to be heavily slowing down because I don't really care about new games until they have been well played and have a strong following and I have most of the older games I'm interested in. with that said, i think i would buy back most of my games. maybe 70-80%. the reason I say this is because i look through my games weekly and try and remove games if I don't feel like they are going to get played anymore.

As someone else said I would not buy them all back at once and look for good deals or used copies but I would slowly get most of them back. I do a lot of research on my purchases and there has only been a few games that my research got wrong. ive only sold 16 games and made my money back on them all when you average them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary o
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dominion- One of my wife's favorites

Paperback- Another of my wife's favorites

Pandemic with Pandemic: On the Brink expansion

These are the first ones I'd re-purchase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCrazyPiper wrote:
I think this is an interesting enough variant on the, "If you could only keep XX games?" question--so I'm asking it. Let's say that aliens landed and stole your games collection in order to study earth culture . . .

Which games do you repurchase?

As far as I know, this questions hasn't been asked before, but my apologies if it has. I think this is a worthy variant for a few reasons:
1) The question of only keeping, say, 10 games is a little weird because why 10? Limiting your game collection is going to be largely due to space and opportunity to play, if you've already made the purchases, but Mottainai takes up a lot less space (and play time) than Earth Reborn (both in my collection now), and they are counted equally in that case.
2) My question also factors in price (also relevant to my previous example), which forces us to consider value in the games--especially if they are more (or less) expensive than when we bought them.
3) For these reasons (and others), KEEPING a game is very different from repurchasing a game.
4) My question doesn't limit your size, but DOES (I think) strike at the heart of which games you truly value/appreciate in a unique way.
5) Technically, this question doesn't limit you to games you already own. There are a few I would add to my new collection, I think, but I can't really justify them with all the games I currently have.

Part of what got me thinking about this is my habit when selling/trading in games, books, movies, etc. When I get an offer from the vendor/buyer, I always ask myself, "Would I ever possibly pay that much to own this again?" If yes, I just keep it. (For example, if someone offered me $5 of trade-in value for X-COM, there is a 100% chance that I might repurchase that some day for $5, so I would just keep it now. Another example: I traded in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 for $25 a few months after it released, having beat it once. I absolutely would have bought it for that price a few years later, but the price had shot up because of the Avengers movie. Oops.) This question is a variant on that philosophy. Basically, which games are truly valuable to me?

Here's my list, so far:

Definite purchases:
1. Mottainai: small, inexpensive, and full of game play.
2. King of Tokyo (+expansions): Must-have for me. I've had too much fun with it.
3. Scythe: New, but too exciting not to keep playing. Probably the most expensive repurchase on my list.
4. Pandemic: An excuse to get in on the reprint and it's expansions.
5. Chess4: When I have the chance to play this 4-player variant on classic chess, I really enjoy it. And it's not too pricey.

If the price was right:
1. Earth Reborn: I love it, but don't get to play it enough. If I played more, it would be a definite buy, for sure.
2. Freedom: The Underground Railroad: I've really enjoyed this, but it would still have to be a good price, I'm afraid (I got a great deal already)
3. Discworld: Ankh Morpork: another great game that I love, but I'm afraid its OOP status might have driven the prices up (haven't checked though).
4. Roll for the Galaxy: I don't own this, but would probably rebuild with it.
5. Blood Rage: Same as RftG above. However, my buddy has both of these (maybe he'd sell 'em to me cheap out of pity!).

I may add others, but off the top of my head, that's it! I didn't plan for that to be exactly 10 games, and I may change it later, as I said, but this has been an interesting thought experiment for me, actually. I have a lot of games that I love having in my collection, but I either don't play them enough to rebuy, or they are too pricey to pay twice.

How about you all? What games would definitely be in your rebuilt collection? Are there any games that you still own but would definitely NOT repurchase? (**cough**galaxytrucker**cough**) Are there any out of print or "special edition" games that would be tough for you to replace and would be especially big losses? (I hope that's not too traumatic to think about. cry)

my OCD would make me have to buy everything still in print now, and everything out of print as soon as I can find available copies...
and all the promos...
\sigh

and my magic draft cube
\CRY

absolute necessities:
1)Keyflower base game
2)Eclipse complete
3)Five Tribes + exp
4)Splendor
5)Gates of Loyang
6)Agricola
7)Tzolkin complete
8)Terra Mystica + F&I
9)San Juan

probably a few more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
The ones I can get cheap.

Yeah, I would be in this situation for a couple of reasons.

First, losing my entire collection means I would have lost my house, (i.e. to fire or earthquake), as I have games in several rooms and in storage in the garage. So, I would have many more pressing needs to use the insurance money.

Second, I have a few hundred games from fifty years of collecting games.
(Losing my first real game, Stratego, from when I was 5 or 6 would hurt!)
So, I would only be able to replace most of them by buying them used.
(Which is how I acquired most of them luckily, hence the reason I have a few hundred - I'm cheap!).

Third, as I am now on the downhill side of middle age, I would probably limit those I replace to just those I actually play with my gaming group.

So, with that being said, the initial list would include:

War of the Ring, 2nd edition
Game of Thrones, 2nd edition
Eclipse, and all the expansions for it.
Acquire, (a good version with the plastic board and tiles)
Terra Mystica and the expansion.
Catan
Sequence
A nice cribbage board (to replace the 3 or 4 I have now).
A nice chess set, (again, to replace the 3 or 4 I have now).

And from there, I would keep an eye open for used games on EBay and here on the BGG for any others that strike my fancy.

My two cents worth.
(Interesting question, btw, made me really think.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Valencia
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably only repurchase a few games to start.
d10-1Agricola
d10-2Bohnanza
d10-3Lost Cities: The Board Game to make up for Lost Cities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! Keep in mind, I don't have a regular gaming group so coops or games that can be soloed are going hit the table more so will be at the top of the list. Games I would repurchase quickly/right away:

Defenders of the Last Stand: Lighter coop but has the character building and adventuring mechanics of the heavier coops that I like. Plus lots of plastic pieces. I've owned it about a month, played 8 times so far, and its already close to the top of my charts.

Elder Sign and Gates of Arkham expansion: Love the Mythos, and is a shorter and lighter coop that hits the table often. Would pick up Grave Consequences, Omens of Ice, and Unseen Forces eventually, and in that order.

Either Eldritch Horror or Arkham Horror: Did I mention I love the Mythos? Another coop game I could solo, but heavier in complexity than either of the above. If I rebought Arkham, would pick up the Dunwich Horror expansion for more characters, the Injury/Insanity and Epic battle deck, and the gate burst mechanic and play for a while. If I rebought Eldritch, Forbidden Lore would be a must for the extra encounter cards, and I would probably pick up Under the Pyramids for more characters and then just proxy the Focus tokens and be happy. I would buy whichever I got in the mood to play first, and then pick up the other as needed. Right now I would probably lean Arkham, but ask me tomorrow...

Zombicide: Black Plague Would not choose to rebuy the Kickstarter exclusives at post Kickstarter prices, but would buy Wulfsburg for more characters and extra quests. Lots of fun.

Game of Thrones LCG: I do play this in a gaming group, and would want to keep playing it.

The player that I play competitive games with already has his own copy of Scythe, 7 Wonders, Forbidden Stars, and Age of Rebellion, among others, so I probably just play at his place or have him bring the game over.

If my brothers kids wanted to play Red 7, Flash Point, or Boss Monster at any time I would definitely rebuy them as well.

Honestly, it is amazing how many games I have in my collection that I like are not "essential".

On a related note, I am going to Gen Con and am hoping that the rumors are true and there will be news of or copies for purchase of an Arkham Horror cooperative living card game. This could make the essentials list pretty quick if it is good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them. Why would I not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to repurchase them all, or a big portion of them at least, but I am not sure if I would actually do it.

Perhaps I would have gone for the games that are most important to me, if they still are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the thoughtful replies, especially from Mark Helton and Cthulhu Hunter! You are really getting into the spirit of the question, as I see it.

Another variation is what if you had to restart a collection for your whole group? Cthulhu Hunter alluded to this already by mentioning his main gaming partner. I would have to at least add Star Wars: Rebellion to my list, if that were the case. And Blood Rage would become a "definite buy" as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
My 3 favorite games:

Battlestar Galactica
Eldritch Horror
Talisman

I would skip on Firefly, 7 Wonders, Robinson Crusoe, Lords of Waterdeep, Werewolf, and Carcasonne.

(I have a small collection.)

Firefly is the biggest I would pass on. I have dumped so much money into it and have all kinds of official and un-official accessories/expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would probably get the majority of the games I have now.

However, it would be easier to pin the ones I would not rebuy excluding children's ones my daughter has grown out of and future grandchildren may not like...

Some of these would be:
Four Taverns - got it for hubby for his guys game night when they had a cancellation for their RPG and it still hasn't got to the table...

I'd debate Elder Sign ONLY because I can't get anyone to play with me...but it is still cool so I might get it anyway

Impulse purchases I may resist the second time around

Hit the Deck
Legend of Landlock
Snap Dragon
Quest for the Princess
Tavern
Saboteur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few other thoughts...

I would need at least a dozen (preferably two) nice marble D6s to use in place of the bland to just terrible dice that come in most board games, and at least a couple of dice bags as well to draw random monsters in Elder Sign and Eldritch/Arkham. Sleeves for the cards in these games is a must for me. YES I would delay purchase of some of my essentials to make sure the games I have purchased do have sleeves (not that sleeves cost much.)

As far as multiplayer games go, if the entire group lost our games, hmmm. My friend has a wife and younger child who game, so the gaming need can vary from 2-4 players. I am still learning what works and what does not. A lot of the games we have now are expensive and are not great fits. Forbidden Stars and Rebellion retail at $100, play long and feel longer, and either cannot be played or are problematic at 3-4. I do like both quite a bit, but would probably not rebuy them right away due to cost and play length. Blood Rage seems to have a runaway leader problem at 2, and may not be a great fit with my friends family either. Scythe looks amazing but looks also to be at its best at 4-5. I would not rebuy a game a 2nd time without having had a chance to play it once first, despite the hype, and still waiting for that first play(and on a budget would buy the basic version without the cool coins and resources). Small World was great with my last gaming group, but not a lot of interest here with this group.

For multiplayer I think my choices would be:

Tiny Epic Kingdoms: Short game with lots of races to play, interesting gameplay, small footprint and price point. I have only played it with two players, but liked it and think it would play even better at 3-4.

Cry Havoc: This also has gotten a lot of hype, plays well 2-4, and sounds like it would be a safer bet vs Blood Rage and definitely shorter than Forbidden or Rebellion. Probably going to be my must buy at Gen Con. Okay, its not a rebuy but not sure I love the other games in this slot well enough to rebuy at their price point vs trying something newer (and shorter). And I would want at least one cool plastic dudes on a map in the multiplayer mix somewhere.

7 Wonders or Race for the Galaxy: I think Race is a much more interesting game (and cheaper), but with the family involved the safer bet is probably 7 Wonders.

Forbidden Desert: A short coop that I like a lot that is also inexpensive, short to play, and a lot of fun. I like it a lot, and it should work great on family nights.

To be honest, a lot would depend on my friend and what games he thought would work for his family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride 10th Anniversary
Jaipur
Dead Man's Draw
Tokaido
Onirim
Snowdonia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I have pretty much everything for Descent 2nd ed and Imperial Assualt, but if starting from scratch would only grab one or the other back. I just can't decide which one (would have been an easier discussion before the road to legends app). I really like fantasy dungeon crawlers and descent is hitting that spot the bestat present.

I wouldn't get the D&D Adventure series again.

Also with X-wing I'd be much more selective on the ships I repurchased but would definitely get this one back. I'd get normal Pandemic and expansion instead of repurchasing Legacy.

I'd also get Eldritch Horror instead of getting Arkham horror back.

I likely wouldn't bother chasing down a lot of the kick starter games again.

My first acquisition however would be Crokinole and I'd use this as an opportunity to upgrade my board.

I'd need a few more plays to make a call on starwars rebellion given the cost.

Otherwise I'd repurchase all my other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have my game collection listed separately in my insurance, so I'd most likely re-buy 90% of it. If you're collection is worth more than say, $1000, it's worth insuring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.