$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 77.36

5,239 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
35 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Ottoman Sunset» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A six front war pushes Turkey to the brink - a comic book session report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply wonderful, Adam! thumbsup

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic AAR! Great job!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In game terms, I was confident my AAR would be a victory, as my two past games (I've played it nine times) were seriously concrete wins. This included a 32VP International Victory!

My broad strategy when playing Ottoman is:
• Initially ignore army advances, instead focussing on filling off map theatre with resource chits (preferably all six).
• Fill the Dardanelles with all three guns and one minefield, again as a preference for pushing back enemy forces.
• Focus on Sinai front, keeping it in the 5-6 space (until the pipeline is built) - then focussing on fronts that had been strengthened.
• Keep resources off-map for as long as possible – preferably once dusk cards start appearing.

This didn’t happen at all in my game. I only had three resources at any one time, while the Sinai proved a huge pain – I continually failed the 3+ roll when I really needed actions for other fronts. As a result of poor resources, I only had four theatre victories, with two failed and two stalemates. So National Will was between -1 to -3 most of the game. Even worse, all six fronts were in action and none were removed the entire game.

I used all optional rules except Russian Revolution and Forcing the Narrows Redux.

I had 15 cards left in the deck once National Will fell to -4.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the comic book session report, I read a great one reporting on a game of Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic.

I used Comic Life 3. A bit buggy, a little rough - and I really shouldn't have used their "fantasy" template. It's all a bit yellow, isn't it? And I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to remove the opaque caption boxes. I think I'll use my own layout next time, with white caption boxes!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red_gamster wrote:
It's all a bit yellow, isn't it? And I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to remove the opaque caption boxes. I think I'll use my own layout next time, with white caption boxes!


Regardless, it was a fun and visually appealing read for us.

I will be curious as to what you will do with respect to comic book layouts. I write AARs for Wings of Glory on another site. I wouldn't mind trying to do something like newsprint so the AAR reads like a news coverage article.

Thanks again for he extra effort.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7eat51 wrote:
red_gamster wrote:
It's all a bit yellow, isn't it? And I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to remove the opaque caption boxes. I think I'll use my own layout next time, with white caption boxes!


Regardless, it was a fun and visually appealing read for us.

I will be curious as to what you will do with respect to comic book layouts. I write AARs for Wings of Glory on another site. I wouldn't mind trying to do something like newsprint so the AAR reads like a news coverage article.

Thanks again for he extra effort.


What programme are you thinking of using? I've only used Comic Life a couple of times. There's a couple of dozen templates, but they didn't seem to be customizable to a great degree and you can't use your own animations unless you import. SketchBookPro or Comic Creator sound good, the latter is on $20. I only used Comic Life 3 as it was part of a bundle that work purchased, so I got it for free!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red_gamster wrote:
7eat51 wrote:
red_gamster wrote:
It's all a bit yellow, isn't it? And I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to remove the opaque caption boxes. I think I'll use my own layout next time, with white caption boxes!


Regardless, it was a fun and visually appealing read for us.

I will be curious as to what you will do with respect to comic book layouts. I write AARs for Wings of Glory on another site. I wouldn't mind trying to do something like newsprint so the AAR reads like a news coverage article.

Thanks again for he extra effort.


What programme are you thinking of using? I've only used Comic Life a couple of times. There's a couple of dozen templates, but they didn't seem to be customizable to a great degree and you can't use your own animations unless you import. ketchBookPro or Comic Creator sound good, the latter is on $20. I only used Comic Life 3 as it was part of a bundle that work purchased, so I got it for free!


Not sure. I will have to do some checking with my wife. She is a graphic designer and will be my guide through this. I will check out Comic Creator - thanks for the tip.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jujo Vee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be an ad for the game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juujoo wrote:
This should be an ad for the game!


Agreed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Leviloff
United States
Foster City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
That was a neat AAR and a neat presentation. Your strategy seems solid, but I did make this a tough nut to crack. Play on!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crassus wrote:
That was a neat AAR and a neat presentation. Your strategy seems solid, but I did make this a tough nut to crack. Play on!


Pretty happy with the strategy Darin, but it all fell apart in this game, right form the start. Needed those resources into the off map theatres, and Salonika killed me!

I've played nine times, to be at 3-1-5, including four crushing defeats and the one international victory. I've also managed to lose with -4 National Will, the British forcing the Narrows AND the capture of Constantinople. So it's been varied.

Great game Darin, must try Hapsburg Eclipse too. Just starting to get into solo gaming, and Victory Point Games proving an attractive choice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.