BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Are you going solo too? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Moody
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Hello,

I will be on my own on the Friday and Saturday of Essen 16 (mostly shopping on the Thursday).

Anyone else going solo?

If you want to meet, test some games, and play some games during the evenings please message me and we can meet at the entrance or downtown Friday morning.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo is the best way
You solely decide where to run, where to look, which games to try without worrying it's not the other person's cup of tea
Best find a partner for post-shopping gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like solo phases as well, but like to team up with a friend as well. I don't like bigger groups though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I'm always on my own in Essen. Sometimes I think that it's easier to try out games, as you don't have to wait for a free table, but you can ask a group that's just starting a game if you can join them. It's a nice way to play with other people as well (though it helps if you speak German).

In the evenings you can always join other groups at the hotel where you're staying, or that you're visiting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
I'm always on my own in Essen. Sometimes I think that it's easier to try out games, as you don't have to wait for a free table, but you can ask a group that's just starting a game if you can join them. It's a nice way to play with other people as well (though it helps if you speak German).

In the evenings you can always join other groups at the hotel where you're staying, or that you're visiting.

All true, that was my thing for nearly a decade too, but in 2011 my wife finally decided she wanted in on that Spiel thing too and I must say we've been having a great time ever since. It's great to have a sounding board just to make sure a game you think might fit the group really does. Someone to point out the good things and the flaws you overlooked. And you never get the "what the hell were you thinking when you bought x" comment ever again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I run around mostly solo as well. Sometimes I join up with guys from my hotel or with random strangers from earlier that day. Everything has its advantages and disadvantages. I personally think 2 players is best. Small enough to join games by others but large enough to start playing if an obscure game has low interest by others.

No time after the fair tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi McBryde
United States
Neosho
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
Went with a buddy last year.

No body available to go with me this year.

I would be exited to meet up with some new friends.

Still looking for lodging for the three nights if anybody has any suggestions. Was able to share a room last year. The prices are pretty daunting when I don't have anyone to share the room with. If there is anyone out there in the same predicament, I would be willing to share the price of a room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going alone after my friend bowed out. I used to live in Germany, so I'm comfortable getting around. Evenings may be a little lonely, but maybe I'll be too exhausted to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi McBryde
United States
Neosho
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
Still looking for possible roommate.

Thinking about staying in Mulheim or Duisburg if someone is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MissouraLakatu wrote:
Still looking for possible roommate.

Thinking about staying in Mulheim or Duisburg if someone is interested.

This post was right after yours in my feed: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1624564/i-have-essen-apartm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am, kind of. I've met a lot of 'iFriends' over the last few years, but yes, I'll be traveling solo. Excited for my first trip to Essen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, solo too (at least until my kids grow old enough to come).

Always easy to find a game night and make friends at hotels. Staying at Intercity this year since Movenpick kicked the bucket. Always looking for a heavy game night, so hit me up.

Also @Edward: would love to game with you and meet you, fan of the cast here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Here, solo too (at least until my kids grow old enough to come).

Always easy to find a game night and make friends at hotels. Staying at Intercity this year since Movenpick kicked the bucket. Always looking for a heavy game night, so hit me up.

Also @Edward: would love to game with you and meet you, fan of the cast here.

I'll be at What's Your Game? booth for a few hours each day and there's a HC gathering w/ fans, designers & publishers at fritzpatricks.com on Friday at 8pm! Follow in the guild for more info so I don't clutter this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Alabbasi
Bahrain
Springfield Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
I was suppose to write Arabic Words, but BGG don't sport that, so you have to live up with this..
badge
Before you head to the desert, make sure you have your own falcon....
mbmbmbmbmb
I am traveling Solo this year as well. Anyone looking to meet up for gaming let me know. I am staying at the Holiday Inn Essen City Center if any is available at my hotel as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao F. Falaschi
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
In this city there are those who'd live alone. Twilight brings them from the gloom into our homes. And hiding there among the wreckage left behind. They see things that aren't there when they close their eyes
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also travelling solo this time. I can do quite well during the fair, but in the evenings it is always nice to have someone to play with. I will stay at the TOP CCL Hotel Essener Hof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Coon
Germany
Riedlingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are always people playing at Motel One and I'm an almost 2 meter (6'4") tall, bald guy, so I'm easy to find if you need someone to play a game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Alabbasi
Bahrain
Springfield Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
I was suppose to write Arabic Words, but BGG don't sport that, so you have to live up with this..
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jacobjcoon wrote:
There are always people playing at Motel One and I'm an almost 2 meter (6'4") tall, bald guy, so I'm easy to find if you need someone to play a game with.

Well, I am not staying in Motel One, but I guess I can always there to game with you as I'm an almost 2 meter (6'4") tall, but not bald, so I guess I should be easy to find as well.

I guess i will look for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meow San

Chaos Realm of the Soul
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AQ_5 wrote:
jacobjcoon wrote:

Well, I am not staying in Motel One, but I guess I can always there to game with you as I'm an almost 2 meter (6'4") tall, but not bald, so I guess I should be easy to find as well.

Bring weird snacks from yer country or something. We are having a weird snacks & gaming friday gathering at Motel One around 8pm (20:00) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Alabbasi
Bahrain
Springfield Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meowsan wrote:
AQ_5 wrote:
jacobjcoon wrote:

Bring weird snacks from yer country or something. We are having a weird snacks & gaming friday gathering at Motel One around 8pm (20:00) laugh

That sounds awesome, anyhow it's too late for me to bring anything from Bahrain as I'm already in Europe. I will see if I can find something interesting on my way to Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Marino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you going solo if you are interested in joining up with NorthStar Games I am looking to fill a couple of shifts during the show with demonstrators (i will compensate you for helping)

and I'd like to hang out in the evenings a little and play some games.

If you're interested in any of that please contact me. I'm excited for this convention and want to meet lots of people.

Nicole

You can reach me directly at my first name above at NorthStarGames.com if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I live in Ratingen not far away from Essen.
I passed by every day for some years on my way to the university and I started to play board games at the beginning of this year.
Since that moment my collection has grown and grown (I also kickstarted a game and will gain it at the fair).
I always missed the fair and noticed that it was over some days later from media/television.
Last year I was in Japan/Shanghai and I missed it.
This year I wanted to visit the fair with my girlfriend but she has to work on thursday/friday and at the weekend I will be on vacation in the USA for the first time for 2 weeks.

I am already pretty curious, bought my ticket yesterday and count me in the club of people which will visit the fair alone^^

Has somebody any recommendations what I definitively should/shouldn't do?
I have of course some companies/board games which I am interested in but maybe some veterans here still have some hints^^

^___^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aiko van Wingerden
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
I'll be rolling solo on Friday (Although I might try to hunt down some fellow geeks that I know personally) and with my artist friend on Saturday.

I'll have to see if I have time in the evening, as I'll be staying in Cologne (That's where said friend lives, and I'm crashin') so I don't know if I'd rather go there immediately or stick around to test my newly acquired games on (perhaps some) newly acquired friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Yeung

Paradise Valley
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nikadermis wrote:
For those of you going solo if you are interested in joining up with NorthStar Games I am looking to fill a couple of shifts during the show with demonstrators (i will compensate you for helping)

and I'd like to hang out in the evenings a little and play some games.

If you're interested in any of that please contact me. I'm excited for this convention and want to meet lots of people.

Nicole

You can reach me directly at my first name above at NorthStarGames.com if you want.

You can always game at the IBIS HBF - that seems to be the gaming hotel outside of Atlantic Congress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I am going solo, too. For most of the evenings I already have an agenda:

Thursday: Meeting at the Unperfekrhaus
Saturday: Blogger Meeting

During the days I will have some appointments but I wouldn't mind meeting people for some game demos etc.

My Essen games of interest list: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/211559/daniels-games-inte...

I haven't yet added all the games from the preview list/SPIEL Together tool. But this should give you an idea what kind of games I am usually interested in (family friendly games for grown ups and 2-player games).

You can find me on Instagram/Twitter for a closer look at the games I play: @boardgamecircus

I will have some prototype copies of my own games with me. If you are used to playing prototypes and giving feedback and if you like tile laying (2-4 players) or trick taking (4 players) I may have a spare copy for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
First time this year and going solo. Don't have to worry about losing people. Though I wouldn't mind having my wife with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.