6 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: More Political talk - Categories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Ellingsen Lund
Norway
flag msg tools
Hello, another guy wanting to "improve" the political game here.

Been looking around for political variations, but has not found any that jumps at me. The overall sense i got from the various post to make the political phase more interesting is playing more cards per phase, getting more laws in play.

The things that I like thus far are:
Daily politics and big decisions
(Minor/Major deck) and Voice of the Council "play an additional PC".

So was thinking of combine those ideas, adding "no voting on the Voice of the Council" to the mix. The idea is this:
Use Assembly 2, give yourself Speaker/VotC and another player the opposite of your choice ("normal" rules except the player chosen to play a Political Card also gain a floating victory point). In addition the active player (the one with the Strategy Card) play an extra Politial Card. One of them is "Major" (Base game, no representatives) and the other "Minor" (1 vote + representative), leaning toward SC is "Major" and VotC is "Minor".

I think I want to remove the "political cards as trade goods" as an intensive for the players to keep (and play) political cards.

In addition a thought surfaced when mucking around with this:
What if I divide the political deck into multiple categories, say;
- Warfare (war-sounding stuff)
- Science (tech-altering/-sounding stuff)
- Commerce (trade-altering/-sounding stuff)
- Production (production-altering/-sounding stuff)
- Political Intrigue (peace, politics and stuff not fitting elsewhere)

Each player may then pick Political Cards from his preferred categories to tailor his political hand toward his race/gameplay.

I have done a quick test-spread on my reduced Political Deck, and think it does not look to bad regarding number of card in each category. I try to distribute the "victory point cards" so each deck have a rougthly equal number of those. Adding back rest of the cards (except some 4-6 cards that have a bad wording relative to expansions) i think this might work.

The last thought I have are that each player has a fixed hand size of 3-5 Political Card, and each time they use political cards they redraw up to this limit. Each Political Card can be discarded (or placed in bottom of its deck) for 1-2 influence when voting, so players may try to gain "better" cards in their hand.

Strategy Cards giving Political Cards must be altered to give something else. Personally I am leaning toward Action Cards as this is something I feel is in shortage in our game (may be our selection of Strategy Cards).

Edit: What do people think?
Edit 2: fixed links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C R

New York
msg tools
I like the splitting of the decks but how many cards are in each. I cannot imagine it being too many so the discarding and replacing for influence seems a bit much (even with limitations on the number of discards).

Plus this also will be a game changer for someone like the Xxcha because it almost makes the racial ability something that everyone can do (to an extent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea, I have divided up many of my house rules along the same line.
Perhaps one should try to allow the Player to create his own law or edict. It would likely be game relevant. It would take a little brainstorming to figure out the parameters for making a law so the system would work.
Or perhaps pick from a list of 10 or 20 laws and fill in the blanks like madlibs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ellingsen Lund
Norway
flag msg tools
Quote:
I like the splitting of the decks but how many cards are in each. I cannot imagine it being too many so the discarding and replacing for influence seems a bit much (even with limitations on the number of discards).

Yeah, by using all Political Cards (minus the 4-6 where the wording is not fitting the rest of the rules in the expansions) there should be around 21 cards in each deck, so may be to easy for folk to cycle for the cards they want. But on the other hand, may force you to discart some of the Politic Cards you want to keep to get the votes you need?
Think this need some playtesting

Quote:
Plus this also will be a game changer for someone like the Xxcha because it almost makes the racial ability something that everyone can do (to an extent).

Good point, but in regard of the Xxcha ability; i see it as a tool for the Xxcha to remove a Political Card they do not like being voted on rather than controlling/cycling the deck. And I do not see that other player gain that ability from this setup. Not familiar with other racial ability that affect Political Cards though, if any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ellingsen Lund
Norway
flag msg tools
Quote:
Nice idea, I have divided up many of my house rules along the same line.

Ty I like the modularity, easier to tweak if there are something that I do not like or feels is not right.

Quote:
Perhaps one should try to allow the Player to create his own law or edict. It would likely be game relevant. It would take a little brainstorming to figure out the parameters for making a law so the system would work.
Or perhaps pick from a list of 10 or 20 laws and fill in the blanks like madlibs.

Interesting idea

I think some sort of "point" system for each choice/rules is a place to start, like "Gain a Cruiser +X" or "Lose a Destroyer -Y", and you gain a certian limit on the number of point you may use to create a law.

You have the targeting parameters:
- elect player(s); 0 point, +1 if two players
- elect planet(s); same as above
- elect objective; +1 (or limited choice of rules to apply?)
- whole board (often for/against); +3

You have the duration (often determined by the choices/rules added):
- instant; +0
- Law (stay in play); +3, maybe connected to a phase

Then you have a list of choice/rules:
- Gain (Units, Trade Goods, Cards, Victory Points, etc.) +X*
- Lose (Units, Trade Goods, Cards, Victory Points, etc.) -Y*

*I see a problem that an opponent losing something may be a benefit rather than a penalty, and then rather increase the cost rather than reduce it.

Another problem is for/against votes. A sulution I see hare is that the player composing the Law pick the "for" choice/rules, then the other players pick the "against" choice/rules - and/or if all players gain someting, you may instead have the "against" choice/rules be the opposite of the "for" choice/rules (all players gain a Cruiser/all players loose a crusier).

Note that the points are arberitery and not well thought out, just an example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ellingsen Lund
Norway
flag msg tools
Gone through the cards to make a first draft of categories, too much "Peace"-type card and too little "Production"-type, so are switching around a little:

Warfare - 21
Lord of Mecatol Rex
Mutiny
Shard of the Throne
Other
Aggressive Strategy
Code of Honor
Crown of Thalnos
Defend the Jewel *(Space mines)
Enemy of the Throne
Hope's End Training Ground *(Shock Troops and Hope's End)
Imperial Academy *(added "Leadership SC" and replace "two influence" with "one less")
Mass Mobilization
Minister of War
Planetary Conscription
Planetary Security
Prophecy of Ixth
Public Execution
Regulated Conscription
Repeal Labor Laws
War Funding
Warship Commission

Peace - 21
Emperor
Imperial Mandate
Recognize Accomplishments
Other
Arms Reduction
Compensated Disarmament
Conventions of War *(Trade)
Defensive Mobilization
Dispute Resolution
Fleet Regulations
Imperial Containment
Imperial Peace
Limits of Individual Power
Minister of Peace
Neutrality Pact
Non-Aggression Pact
Official Sanction (x2)
Redefining War Crimes
Short Term Truce
Vorhal Peace Price
Unconventional Weapons

Governing - 21
Flawed Planning *(point-ish, removed "Preliminary" as I am not using those)
Seed of an Empire
Other
Colonial Redistribution
Core Stability
Council's Censure *(changed to "Warfare 1/2")
Council Elder
Holder of Mecatol Rex
Holy PLanet of Ixth
Humane Labor
Labor Force Politics
Minister of Internal Security
Minister of Policy
Necessary Bureaucracy *(rephrased to "vote on one extra random card", roll a d5)
New Constitution
On Observation
Political Focus *(added "Political/Assembly" to the card)
Repeal
Revote
Unconventional Measures
Veto Power

Commerce - 23
The Crown of Emphidia
Other
Checks and Balances
Class Struggle
Colonization Licensing
Cost Overruns
Diversified Income
Economic Revitalization
Fighter Tax
Fleet Restrictions
Forced Economic Independence
Free Trade
Intergalactic Commerce
Interstellar Arms Dealers
Mining Operations
Minister of Commerce
Open the Trade Routes
Resource Management
Subsidized Industry
Supported Expansion
Trade Embargo
Trade War
Trafic Tarifs

Science - 23
Incentive Program
Other
Ancient Artifact
Centrillic Gas
Closing the Wormholes
Documenting Research
Forbidden Research
Found Research Complex
Investigate Spatial Anomalies
Minister of Exploration
Publicize Weapon Schematics
Regressive Rhetoric
Research Grant
Sanctuary Shield
Sharing of Technology
Science Community Speaker
Subsidized Studies
Technological Jihad
Technology Buy-back
Technology Investigation Commitee
Technology Tariffs
Wormhole Reconstruction
Wormhole Research

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.