BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Ad Nauseam: an Eating Survival rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Dip
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For the first time, I thought about a game starting from the theme, rather than the mechanics (which is pretty odd, if you ask me). The working name is Ad Nauseam, here's the description:
Four friends go out to eat together to a newly-opened restaurant. However, the restaurant works in quite an unconventional way: they serve four random dishes on the Lazy Susan, and it’s up to the friends to decide who eats what. Oh, and did I mention the restaurant’s food really sucks? This is where friends become enemies, and those dishes become your ammo. Good luck not throwing up.

It could need some work, but that's the concept laid out, at least.
In practice, the game should be about passing dishes by rotating the Lazy Susan using some cards you have in hand (and draw from a common deck). Those cards can also neutralize the effects of some dishes, but the idea is that you should try to get the cards with the lowest gross level (which is how much a dish sucks) at the end of the round (when all the dishes are eaten) and try to eliminate the other players by making their gross-o-meter full.
The main problem I have with the idea, though, is how to order the use of the cards: if I make a round end after everyone has played a card and let them play the cards one by one, the last player will, OF COURSE, have an incredible edge over the other players because they basically get to choose, assuming he has the cards to do so, who eats what.
The other option would be going for secret choices: everyone puts down a card, then they are revealed in turns and we go on from there. The problem with this option is that it removes much of the skill from the game, making it mostly randomized and luck-based.

There's also a third option I thought about pretty recently: each turn, the turn player decides whether to play a card or make the round end. However, I see absolutely no reason for the turn player not to end the round when they have got the least gross card, unless I put strong collateral effects on cards with the lowest gross level.

Any idea on how I could go on about this?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
By the way, I want to point out I'm doing this mostly because I wanted to design something I hate: the game is mostly light and luck-based and it's a 4-players game (I can't stand battle royale games because it's easy for players to gang up on someone and basically nullify their skill), also implementing player elimination, another mechanic I loathe (however, I balanced that with really short games, I doubt this could possibly last more than 5-10 minutes, and the first player should be out towards the end of the game, so it's not more than 2 or 3 minutes they should wait before the game ends). I'm trying my best to overcome those limitations of mine, that's why I'm doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm maybe randomize turn order, and introduce some risk/reward to disincent immediate ending of the round? Or don't process card fx till end of round with some way to manipulate resolution order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Dip
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Randomizing turn order will still leave someone as the last player, so it doesn't solve the problem.
Any introduction of randomization I can think of would make the whole turning stuff pointless.

Another idea I was considering is changing the concept at its core: players receive a dish face-down and can pass it to the next player.
Example: A, B, C and D are the players. A can decide to pass the dish to B or not to do so (B has no role in this decision). If they decide to, A and B switch dishes. Then B decides whether to pass it to C and so on. D, however, cannot switch the dish with any other player, so I have to introduce a mechanic to balance this. I was still thinking of cards, that perhaps you set at the start of the turn, that have effects on how much your dish will affect you. (e.g. "You'll love this": if your dish has the highest gross level amongst the dishes on the table, switch it the dish with the lowest gross level. If it doesn't, switch it with the dish with the highest gross level.) (e.g. "Odd tastes": whenever you would increase or decrease your gross-o-level this turn, do the opposite.)

ATM, this is the thing that makes the most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A deck of "remedy" cards with 1) Drugs to alleviate stomach problems, 2) Actions to move dishes around, 3) Tricks for getting rid of food, 4) Nasty surprises someone might find in their dish (hair, ghost peppers, bugs).

A deck of terrible food dishes.

Each player draws a hand of 3 remedy cards.

Each player draws five dishes.

On a player's turn, they may play a dish in front of themselves, or choose to turn the lazy-susan to move their dish to an opponent. They must discard any single remedy card to turn the lazy-susan. If their own dish has 4 cards, and they choose to play a dish card, they may play on any dish with less than 4 cards.

Once every dish has 4 cards, the players must feast. In turn order, they will go around the table resolving how they eat the dishes (or use drugs, tricks, actions to get rid of food) and how much gross-o-level they have reached/avoided.

Players are attempting to maybe fill up their own lazy-susan to be able to play their grossest dishes on others, they may be trying to turn the lazy-susan to get dishes that they have remedy cards for, or they might not care, only waiting to play that roach card into someone's dish of rotten rabbit stew to put them over the top on the gross-o-meter.

Repeat until all but 1 person has been grossed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Leodip wrote:
For the first time, I thought about a game starting from the theme, rather than the mechanics (which is pretty odd, if you ask me). The working name is Ad Nauseam, here's the description:
Four friends go out to eat together to a newly-opened restaurant. However, the restaurant works in quite an unconventional way: they serve four random dishes on the Lazy Susan, and it’s up to the friends to decide who eats what. Oh, and did I mention the restaurant’s food really sucks? This is where friends become enemies, and those dishes become your ammo. Good luck not throwing up.

It could need some work, but that's the concept laid out, at least.
In practice, the game should be about passing dishes by rotating the Lazy Susan using some cards you have in hand (and draw from a common deck). Those cards can also neutralize the effects of some dishes, but the idea is that you should try to get the cards with the lowest gross level (which is how much a dish sucks) at the end of the round (when all the dishes are eaten) and try to eliminate the other players by making their gross-o-meter full.
The main problem I have with the idea, though, is how to order the use of the cards: if I make a round end after everyone has played a card and let them play the cards one by one, the last player will, OF COURSE, have an incredible edge over the other players because they basically get to choose, assuming he has the cards to do so, who eats what.
The other option would be going for secret choices: everyone puts down a card, then they are revealed in turns and we go on from there. The problem with this option is that it removes much of the skill from the game, making it mostly randomized and luck-based.

There's also a third option I thought about pretty recently: each turn, the turn player decides whether to play a card or make the round end. However, I see absolutely no reason for the turn player not to end the round when they have got the least gross card, unless I put strong collateral effects on cards with the lowest gross level.

Any idea on how I could go on about this?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
By the way, I want to point out I'm doing this mostly because I wanted to design something I hate: the game is mostly light and luck-based and it's a 4-players game (I can't stand battle royale games because it's easy for players to gang up on someone and basically nullify their skill), also implementing player elimination, another mechanic I loathe (however, I balanced that with really short games, I doubt this could possibly last more than 5-10 minutes, and the first player should be out towards the end of the game, so it's not more than 2 or 3 minutes they should wait before the game ends). I'm trying my best to overcome those limitations of mine, that's why I'm doing this.

what if one play session was one round and it went on infinitely. So every time someone plays a card they pick up a new one from common deck and the turn goes to the next person and so on in circles until the common deck is depleted. So in this case there will be one last player in the whole game but it won't necessarily be the 4th player. The last player will be the one that can still play one more card as opposed to others. I guess another thing you'd need in this case is to make cards that don't just turn the lazy susan but do some type of other actions that don't necessarily affect the placement of food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.