29.1% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Doug Gries
United States
Libertyville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allied Commander Bob and I (German Commander) were perusing the map at the conclusion of our 1100 June 6th turn (Allied Commander Chad went to the bar) and we were trying to figure out why the Allies are so far behind schedule on all beaches (particularly on Sword). We believe we did not miss anything in the rules. Clearly, the loss of engineers hurts (for mine removal), but most of those went down just this past turn. Bob looked up the historical progress and I was surprised how far inland many of the Allied units were by this time of the day, compared to where we are in the game.

Accordingly, we would be interested in hearing about any experiences with either the full campaign game or individual beach landings to compare your Allied progress to ours. We are actually concerned the game will end after the 2100 June 6th turn due to Sword not being cleared. Thanks in advance for any input!

Link to campaign session report for 1100 June 6th turn is below:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1609976/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Doug - sorry to hear you are having trouble getting off the beach. It is supposed to be a little hard and I wanted players to be "nervous" about it - but you are supposed to get it done in the end.

As an aside, this is the hardest part of game design. When you make a game, you need to make it easy enough so that even if players don't win the first few times out, they learn as they play and want to keep trying. If it's too hard, players will stop trying (and stop playing). If it's too easy, the same problem happens but for the opposite reason - if you play it once and it is too easy, you won't want to play it again. Riding the balance there is very hard. Anyway, enough of my design rant.

I can't see your individual choices so I can't say much specifically. I can say generally that each beach is different and you'll need a different strategy for each one. To take Sword (as it is the most obvious), your attacks on the beach defenses should almost always be first, get the Obstacle number down by one (as this will prevent your 1-step companies from all dying with an unlucky result of "1" on the CRT). After that is down by one, you should be spending all of your efforts on getting the Gaps down. Don't worry about the RNs for now and take your lumps. Sword is congested and you need to clear gaps and get off the beach.

As for keeping up with historical schedules, remember, at least for now, you can leave the overlay with units and rush southward. You'll be out of command but with the Germans so weak, that shouldn't matter. I'm likely to actually change this rule as experienced players are getting off the beach too fast and moving too quickly...but for now, and for practice, make sure you use this rule.

But my number one advice is find an experienced player and play him using VASSAL. He'll show you how to effectively get off the beach.

Hope that helps. And DON'T GIVE UP! You're figure it out.

Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Gries
United States
Libertyville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Adam, thanks for quick feedback. Agree with your comments on game design - so many things to consider that I would imagine trying to find the right balance would be extremely difficult.

Allies did have some tough rolls on Sword early on - took awhile for the beach defenses to get whittled down so that was a factor. And then the LC full of Commandos took a direct hit (step loss) unloading next to that nasty pillbox. Additionally, another LC full of commandos got hit with a "0" from the Obstacles and were set adrift.

Things are definitely going better for Bob and Chad (Allied Co-Commanders) on Juno and Gold - breakouts occurring and they can certainly run troops further inland. I think the out-of-command thing has them a little spooked - as warranted. They are already down -2 on TQ so going down -3 on those OOC inland troops would be risky. Things didn't seem skewed with die rolls on Juno and Gold, so we were just trying to figure out why these beaches are also behind schedule.

I spent some time looking over the map just recently (I have that luxury - call it home field advantage) and I can move a lot of German units into this 3 hex stretch of Hedgerows just outside of Sword (all within 3 of the reinforcement hex). I have a couple already in Bocage. Bob and Chad have 5 turns to root me out, but it will take them a couple turns just to get positioned for assaults. By that time, the bravery checks will be tough. I may some -3 and -2 armor lurking in there, possibly in Bocage.

That's the tough part. I think I have a reasonable chance to end the invasion early if I run that play as the Germans, but then the campaign is over; and quite frankly, we all want to keep chugging with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That rule (about losing the game) is there to prevent players from ignoring historical priorities and taking advantage of the better intel players have over the real thing.

If a player is honestly trying hard to clear the beach, go ahead and ignore the rule. Remember, there are balancing rules in the scenario book to help you out. See page 49 and O1 and O2. They are there for just for this coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick De Girolami
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
Doug:

We just played 2 days of the campaign game at Tempe and all beaches were cleared on the first day. We were inland to the middle of the board with nothing in front of Caen to stop us.

Once you get the hang of getting off the beach, it should not be a problem. We had 7 pretty experienced players.

The best players should play the Germans, since they are not allowed to make too many mistakes and they cannot defend too far forward.

I will take a crack as the Germans the next time we game....I have got some great ideas that I want to try.

Rick D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Gries
United States
Libertyville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick, thanks for the feedback! Can you recall the particular times during the first day when each beach was cleared? Approximations will certainly suffice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Anderson

Libertyville
Illinois
msg tools
I think the only hono(u)rable thing to do would be courageously surrender based on your consistent min/maxing, analysis/paralysis and outright deception (not to mention the weird dice with all 9's you said you get to use last turn).devil

Seriously though it's such a great game system, Adam. Even though I'm more of a historical miniature war gamer, Greatest Day really ticks a lot of boxes for me. A lot of the issues early on have been wrapping my head around the rules system and neglecting using units properly...I think a couple more turns and it should straighten out a bit. Despite the jokes Doug's been super fair and generous with helping out the newbie to the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.