17 Posts

Night of Man» Forums » General

Subject: worth it just for solo play?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I understand that I would have to purchase the expansion as well as the base game to play solo (and may be willing to do that) and also understand that the game was not originally intended to be solo. Given that, can some other solo players let me know their opinion if that purchase would be "worth it" (obviously highly subjective and based on many different things-but I am interested in all opinions) for someone who is just interested in playing it solo?

Take care and have a great day!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
So I understand that I would have to purchase the expansion as well as the base game to play solo (and may be willing to do that) and also understand that the game was not originally intended to be solo. Given that, can some other solo players let me know their opinion if that purchase would be "worth it" (obviously highly subjective and based on many different things-but I am interested in all opinions) for someone who is just interested in playing it solo?

Take care and have a great day!

Michael

Will be reviewing it soon but reports are its very fun solo even without the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the reply. I tend to not enjoy playing both sides and prefer A.I. for a solo game as a general rule. I look forward to your review.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hearne
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the AI system works very well. One issue may be long term replayability unless more scenarios are provided, perhaps through Yaah! magazine. There are 6 solo scenarios included with the expansion. As far as I can tell, none of the solo scenarios include the Feroxi expansion.

If you really like the theme it may be worth your investment, but if you are also interested in more down-to-earth (hah) themes check out either '65 (Flying Pig's new Vietnam title that uses the same basic system) or the Conflict of Heroes solo system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seemed like a thurough review of the Night of Man solo expansion:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/104584/night-man/night-m...

I agree with one of the video comments that the base game + the solo expansion is a little on the pricy side, but with the current flash sale it is definitely more reasonable.

I didn't pick up the solo expansion myself, but I am tempted to even for just the Feroxi and extra terrain tiles/scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
theduke34 wrote:
I think the AI system works very well. One issue may be long term replayability unless more scenarios are provided, perhaps through Yaah! magazine. There are 6 solo scenarios included with the expansion. As far as I can tell, none of the solo scenarios include the Feroxi expansion.

Re: Yaah!, there will be a solo scenario (with Feroxi!) in the September issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Strait
United States
Federal way
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered it last week and did add the expansion for the Solitaire add on as well. I am excited to play this both 2 player and solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can play it solo without the expansion. Just reveal both players hands, play the best to your ability for both sides, and use a die when making tough decisions.

Solo seems pricey because it comes in a package with ALL the KS stretch goals. You get much more than the solo expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
Yes, you can play it solo without the expansion. Just reveal both players hands, play the best to your ability for both sides, and use a die when making tough decisions.

Solo seems pricey because it comes in a package with ALL the KS stretch goals. You get much more than the solo expansion.

Thanks for the replies! So what more does the Kickstarter extras provide for a solo only player?

So it sounds like a relatively satisfying solo experience can be had outside of just the solo expansion with a few simple adjustments??

How long does a game typically last? Is the 60 minute estimate correct?

take care,

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
theduke34 wrote:

That will be Yaah #7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGargoyle wrote:
tomrussell wrote:
theduke34 wrote:

That will be Yaah #7?

Yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
TheGargoyle wrote:
tomrussell wrote:
theduke34 wrote:

That will be Yaah #7?

Yup.

Do you just order that magazine issue off of the flying pig website?

By the way, I took a chance and went ahead and ordered this plus the expansion set with the solo scenarios. Looking forward to trying it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
tomrussell wrote:
TheGargoyle wrote:
tomrussell wrote:
theduke34 wrote:

That will be Yaah #7?

Yup.

Do you just order that magazine issue off of the flying pig website?

Yes, but the page to order isn't up yet. We ran into some last-minute hiccoughs that we're resolving before we send it to layout and start taking preorders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the person who did the video review referred to earlier in this thread. Just seeing this post now.... obviously I do think it worthwhile as as solo purchase (as my review says) but to address something you mention in your post about it being originally designed not solo...

... the way the card-based AI is incorporated is so effective that you do not feel as if you are playing an 'add-on to say we have solo option' variant. It really does feel as a seamless solo design--that's how well it works.

Also because of the nature of the scenarios and their build-up in complexity I think there is replay value in the game beyond going through each scenario once. As you gain experience and familiarity with the system you can go back and try different strategies etc to good effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
I'm the person who did the video review referred to earlier in this thread. Just seeing this post now.... obviously I do think it worthwhile as as solo purchase (as my review says) but to address something you mention in your post about it being originally designed not solo...

... the way the card-based AI is incorporated is so effective that you do not feel as if you are playing an 'add-on to say we have solo option' variant. It really does feel as a seamless solo design--that's how well it works.

Also because of the nature of the scenarios and their build-up in complexity I think there is replay value in the game beyond going through each scenario once. As you gain experience and familiarity with the system you can go back and try different strategies etc to good effect.

Thanks so much for making that video and for sharing your thoughts!

So it sounds like you are saying that the 6 solo scenarios each have a great deal of replay value? Did I read or hear somewhere that one can create their own solo scenarios to use with the A.I. system??? Also, about how long does a solo game tend to last?

Thanks again for the feedback and have a great day!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:

Thanks so much for making that video and for sharing your thoughts!

So it sounds like you are saying that the 6 solo scenarios each have a great deal of replay value? Did I read or hear somewhere that one can create their own solo scenarios to use with the A.I. system??? Also, about how long does a solo game tend to last?

Thanks again for the feedback and have a great day!

Michael
You are very welcome.

To try to answer your questions: IMO the 6 solo scenarios do have replay value. For one, you can replay to improve and/or change your tactics--to see what works etc. For another, you will be getting different responses from the AI each time you play since the same cards will not be coming up in the same order. Multiply that by the fact that each card can be utilized for many different functions, depending on when you draw it, you can see that the same scenario can provide you with very different situations from your "opponent". This is similar to playing against an actual person.

That said, as in any cardboard game, you're not going to have variability on the maps, etc. that are used per scenario and the set ups for the scenario including available units are static. I don't think this compromises replay value, but it is a function of this kind of game.

There are short, effective rules for creating your own scenarios but these are not specifically part of the solo game. They could be applied pretty easily, I think. Basically where you are limited in the solo play is that you've got the existing set of cards to dictate the AI.

So for example, using the build-your-own setup, you could take the suggested purchase amount (150 points) and follow the guidelines and build yourself a set of units totaling 150. (There is a game purchase amount table included in the rules.) You'd then do the same for the AI. You'd choose the maps, create some house rules for them if you needed, and get going. You could still follow the VP allocation suggestions also provided in the rules. (Sorry if this is confusing--it's actually quite easy to do. These rules are 3 very clear paragraphs long.)

In terms of game time: somewhat difficult to answer. The scenarios get more complicated both in terms of size (# of maps used; # of counters in play) as well as victory conditions and scenario turn length. Once you know the rules, the gameplay is pretty quick--drawing and reading cards becomes quite easy after a playthrough or two. I'd say maybe 30-45 minutes for the first scenario 45+ for the 2nd and 3rd; 60 for the others. BIG caveat here: when I play solo I tend to spend a lot of time at certain points in the game figuring out my move and playing certain moves out in my head. For me, this is part of the charm and fun of a playing alone. But it also increases play time.

I'm not sure whether I said this in my video or not, but one of the things I like about this game is that is is pretty easy to walk away mid-scenario if you need to, maybe making a note or two about what's going on. There's enough complexity in the game to keep it interesting, but not so much that if you are interrupted you come back feeling totally lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:

Thank you very much. I appreciate that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.