Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Eldritch Horror: Signs of Carcosa» Forums » General

Subject: Difficulty of the expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So I was just wondering if anyone who has this expansion could tell me about the average difficulty of the games with hastur or just the new cards in general. Me and my friends are looking for a pretty challenging experience, so if there is a harder expansion than this, could you also let me know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebookmaster wrote:
So I was just wondering if anyone who has this expansion could tell me about the average difficulty of the games with hastur or just the new cards in general. Me and my friends are looking for a pretty challenging experience, so if there is a harder expansion than this, could you also let me know?

I found Hastur not all that hard, but others here have complained about long loss streaks. I have to admit having had some luck with the mystery card draws, though.

If you're looking for more challenge, just start with an extra rumor in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hastur is quite hard in my opinion. I'm 0-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
its easier than yig and syzygy, but it really depends on what mysterys you get.

some are really easy, others are great. i might remove some of the easier ones..

can you use the new investigator to just get a blight, not get it and not lose anything, nullyfying hastur's ability?if yes, dont pick her

we've won many games against him. we lost 2 times at the start then all the rest were medium to easy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:
can you use the new investigator to just get a blight, not get it and not lose anything, nullyfying hastur's ability?if yes, dont pick her

Using Wendy isn't quite as powerful as it seems at first. Hastur's reckoning usually hits for 2-4 sanity loss, spread between all the investigators. That hurts, but isn't crippling. Saving Wendy's ability to counter that means that she can't use it normally during the turn, and that's her big thing. Gain this hallucination, or have a ~50% chance of preventing 4 sanity loss among everyone at the end of the turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
If you're looking for more challenge, just start with an extra rumor in play.

Another option for making it more challenging (at least if you are using four investigators) is to use the revised reference card variation. This will greatly increase the number of gates which means more sanity loss from Hastur's reckoning if you choose to not take the blight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Y
msg tools
We had a fairly close win against Hastur, but only because we seriously locked down every gate that spawned, so the reckoning rarely did anything damaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.