Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
God is a cruel croupier, he dealeth and he taketh away
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonemaier Games,

I was very excited to see the words "colorblind friendly" printed on the back of Scythe's box. The colors used for the base factions are probably the best choices. I had no problems discerning any of the components in our first play last night. Nothing is worse than sitting down to play a game and realizing that there is no way I can participate because I'm unable to tell the colors apart. You are to be commended for considering the needs of colorblind gamers.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Josh! We put a lot into the design to make it as colorblind friendly as possible, including the choice of colors, different meeple shapes, and the use of words on the player mats (instead of just icons). It's probably not 100% perfect, but it was a goal that impacted every aspect of the graphic design to the best of our ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is R/G colorblind and has no difficulty with the faction colors. I oftentimes forget until he says something. Early on during our first game he smiled and chuckled to himself. I asked him about it and he said it was cool that he could tell who was who so easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Morgan
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a moderate to severe protean (red/green colorblindness) and also very pleased with the fact that I had zero issues with distinguishing colors in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust no one
badge
ümlaüt
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed there was no green player and figured that was probably for color-blind-friendliness. Didn't realize just how much effort beyond that had been put in. Nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Michael Bridge
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
what colors are the factions in the expansion? purple & green?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Thanks Josh! We put a lot into the design to make it as colorblind friendly as possible, including the choice of colors, different meeple shapes, and the use of words on the player mats (instead of just icons). It's probably not 100% perfect, but it was a goal that impacted every aspect of the graphic design to the best of our ability.

The only thing I had to adjust when explaining the rules to my color-blind friend was that I couldn't say "Icons in red boxes are costs, green boxes indicate gains". But even those are neatly lined up in rows marked "Pay" and "Gain", so good job!

A much better color-blind experience than Automobiles (which both of us also love, despite the nuisance the colors chosen cause), where I've had to mark up the brown cubes with a silver sharpie so he could distinguish them from the reds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikebridge wrote:
what colors are the factions in the expansion? purple & green?

Yes. And those could potentially cause issues (between blue/purple and red/green, from my experience with my friend), but might not be a big deal depending on the actual shades chosen for the components. Hopefully, Jamey's got a test subject who can help him out when he gets manufacturing samples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott: That's true, but because each character, mech, and worker has a unique shape, the colors aren't quite as important as they would be otherwise (though we did still try to make the expansion faction colors colorblind friendly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Watts
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Scott: That's true, but because each character, mech, and worker has a unique shape, the colors aren't quite as important as they would be otherwise (though we did still try to make the expansion faction colors colorblind friendly).

+1, adding different shapes (and specific text) is better than just relying on picking good colors. Color blindness comes in many different types and intensities.

This game is well designed with respect to color blindness. As well as in many other ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd imagine with purple and green, the only issues would be telling buildings apart, since all other pieces are unique to the faction. I don't think that will be a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.