DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mini Expansion: The Kaiju Collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Inspired by the original custom ideas of Stu Anderson (andjosh05 https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1056972/marvel-expansion-av) and others in the variant section. I decided to add-on to the Marvel characters with character specific theme mini expansions instead of trying to make big boxed sets.

This is for entertainment purposes only. Not to be sold. All art work and characters belong to Marvel comics and the respective creators.

This set is not in response to the announcement of the Godzilla vs King Kong remake. I was making this mini expansion since April. Part of doing a Captain America mini expansion is including S.H.I.E.L.D., while researching the willy bunch I discovered that they were involved in hunting Godzilla in the 70's Marvel Godzilla comic. This made me want to include Godzilla in the SHIELD mini expansion.

The more I researched, the more this took on a life of its own. I decided to create a mini expansion all to itself called...the Kaiju Collection.

To complete this set thematic there were a couple things done
1) This was made into a partial Rivals set that could be played from the main deck theme but also left in the main deck. It's costed for both.
2) From Stu Anderson's original custom set him included the "Ambush" ability which was put into this set to represent the way Kaiju's can battle. Ambush ability is to be carried out the moment the card enters the Line-up.
3) Like the "Time Travel" ability, a GIANT ability was added. This ability was added to thematically represent the fun and dangerous element of what happens when Kaiju battle...they destroy everything and that includes the main deck (the city).
4) Ascend ability was created.

GIANT
Whenever you attempt to buy or gain a card with this ability, destroy the top card of the main deck.

ASCEND
Heroes or Villains with this ability increase their cost from cards in the Line-Up. If their modified cost goes over a specified threshold, they immediately go to the top of the Super-Villain stack. If they have an Attack, it becomes a First Appearance- Attack. If there is a benefit to the Attack, no one gains the benefit. Even if all cards are removed from the Line-Up, their cost does not get readjusted lower. Ascended cards do not leave the Super-Villain stack until defeated.

With the Ascend ability you can play this set with or without Super-Villains. They will emerge in the Line-Up, once the conditions are met they will move up the Super-villain roll. This will give you a 3 way Kaiju battle (you vs your opponent vs the ascended Super-Villain and/or Hero). Like Godzilla fighting M.U.T.O. when another M.U.T.O. shows up.

Now on to the cards...

Page 1

Page 1 is how I started doing this. Like I said previously, it was an off-shoot of a SHIELD mini expansion so it's all Godzilla themed. As an added bonus you also get Charles Barkley from the Nike commercial that spawn a Dark Horse one-shot comic (https://youtu.be/1oCF-QFuoYs). Sir Charles is a Hero/Super Hero so you can battle him against the King of Monsters just like in the commercial.

The Location included on this page is Devil Dinosaur's world, Earth 78411, from a storyline where Godzilla was shrunk by Pym Particles so they could catch him. Godzilla escaped and as the particles slowly wore off, he slowly started to grow. when he was about the size of a T-Rex he was transported "back in time" (to Devil Dinosaur's world but at that time still considered another time not another world) and battled Devil Dinosaur. So you can add this Location and Godzilla to a slowly forming "Devil Dinosaur: mini expansion" (or maybe its just a Jack Kirby expansion).

Godzilla's Hero card shows off the new Ambush and GIANT ability, causing him to destroy a card on the main deck when he enters as well as when you try to battle (buy or gain) him.

Page 2

Page 2 is one of the coolest. It includes the enemies of Godzilla, the Military and the Alien invades, who could be considered generic Alien enemies of any heroic Kaiju. The two locations I'm extremely proud of; Monster Island and Tokyo. Finally, one of the toughest Marvel Monsters (Kaiju) created during the 50's, Fin Fang Foom (another Kirby/Lee creation).

Page 3

Page 3 gives us more Super-Villains including two playable Kaiju for the Forever Evil set. "Zilla" the 1998 American Godzilla now changed to being a different monster by Toho, the rights owner. As well as Leviathan, a mutated Godzilla after Marvel lost the rights. Doctor Demonicus was the main villain in the Marvel Godzilla series that created monsters for him to fight. He also mutated Godzilla and then turned him into Leviathan (after Marvel lost the rights). Think of Doctor Demonicus as High Evolutionary "light".

Mechagodzilla is the first Kaiju to have the Ascend ability. This fits his character since he can be a Villain or a Hero.

Path of Destruction is the Secret Wars for Godzilla. This card actually makes the Super-Villain/Hero stronger the more locations are destroyed (just like a Kaiju movie).

Finally, Page 4

Page 4 includes additional Military cards and Escaping Civilians. Military can by useful or destructive. For the Kaiju, they are potentially destructive.

The Escaping Civilians give you 2 different bonuses and then one collection bonus that completely makes sense for this mini set.

Your feedback is welcomed and part 2 coming very very soon! And please don't fret, I'm almost done with the Golden Age part 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robot romeo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work! Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea there'd been a crossover.

I like the idea of Ascend, but I can't figure out the idea behind Giant. Is it just to shake things up, or am I missing something?

Escaping Civilians look so cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
robot_romeo wrote:
Amazing work! Well done.

Thank you. Wait till you see what's to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
freedfromthematrix2 wrote:
[q="Jlerpy"]I had no idea there'd been a crossover.

Neither did I. They did some interesting stuff to promote the Godzilla comic, like having him fight the Champions, FF, Avengers and even Thor. Godzilla even went to the moon. After Marvel lost the license, they kept using him in the comics through mentions and then finally mutated him to Leviathan in Iron Man comics...where they later killed him off with Archangel.

Jlerpy wrote:
I like the idea of Ascend, but I can't figure out the idea behind Giant. Is it just to shake things up, or am I missing something?

In an attempt to keep my writing brief and snappy, maybe I'm not explaining myself well. While researching for this I watched a lot of monster movies and read the comics to get sense of how powers and what were the defining characteristics of a Kiju battle. Because of their size, when they fought, they destroyed buildings. Things fell, people got crushed and cities were destroyed.

To reflect this destructive characteristic of Kaiju battles I was putting on every card "Destroy a card from the top of the main deck when attempting to buy this card". I needed a streamlined way to say that. While studying the cards I was reminded of the "Time Travel" ability and created GIANT ability in the same way.

The GIANT ability is an abstract way to representative 2 things: the destructive challenge of capturing a giant monster; a way to differentiate and categorize a Godzilla sized monster, like "Time Travel" is used to abstractly differentiate someone who travels across time, space and the multiverse regularly.

How does the GIANT ability play in the game? Since it is an indescrimate deck destroying ability, you don't want to many of them in your deck unless using a 130 card deck. To many Kaiju can cause your game to end prematurely due to so much destruction in your city. I should back track and say the city and the innocent people's lives, to me, have always been reflected through the main deck and its destruction. To me the main deck running out ends the game because the city is destroyed. Why does the hero continue battling when the city (or cities) he or she has sworn to protect has been destroyed?

My view on this is express in the narrative solitaire rules found in the variant section, here...https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/895451/solo-variant-first-a...

The Ascend ability is based off of the ability of a Kaiju to randomly appear in a city, awaken due to a battle or a device, and superseding the current threat to become immediate threat. Like in the most recent Godzilla where the first Muto appeared (entered the Line-Up) then awoke the second Muto which became the immediate threat (Ascend: when this card enters the Line-Up, if their 1 or more villains in the Line-Up, add 3 to its cost and place this card on top of the super-villain stack.). The insueing battle toppled buildings, killed people and leveled a large portion of multiple cities (GIANT ability) with Godzilla emerging victorious (buying or gaining the first Moto from the Line-Up, probably beating a thematic Crisis and finally buying the Super-Villain. All with the GIANT ability. That is at least, 3 card main deck destruction). Kaiju do not pay attention to who or what is being destroyed when they fight so the GIANT ability is automatic and indescrimately activated to reflect this.

Jlerpy wrote:
Escaping Civilians look so cool.

Thanks. This is one of the first times collecting cards for VP at the end of the game makes sense. No matter if you are Gamera and saving people or eating people as Mothra, this makes thematic game sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.