Tyrants of the Underdark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Promote question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joe sedita
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I played Blue dragon and drow negotiator on (my) last turn, can I use the negotiator to promote the dragon and then use the dragon ability to promote two others and get points? Or does my promoting the dragon first make his ability not work? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game handy so can't check the wording on the Blue Dragon card, but I thought that all text resolves on a card as soon as you play it - so playing the Blue Dragon first you'd have to do what it says on that card straight away before playing your Drow Negotiator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I don't have the game yet so i can't speak to the specifics of those cards.

That said, according to pg. 8 of the rulebook, promoting cards is the first of four steps you perform at the end of your turn, before gaining VP for site control, discarding cards and drawing new ones. This section is separate from and listed after the "during your turn" section, which lists playing cards and spending resources.

So as i read it, yes, you would be able to do what you said, because promotion happens after you've played your cards and spent resources/gained effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe sedita
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah, both of the cards say "at end of turn," so they would both have to be played, and then have this like delayed ability that happens at the end of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lee
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have two cards that promote at the end of the turn, you can use them to promote each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so now I've had a chance to look at the cards I understand the question better.

As has been stated above, you do all promotions during the end phase of your turn. So in the example from the question you're playing the following 2 cards

Blue Dragon - this card says that you can promote 2 other cards that you played during your turn.

Drow Negotiator - this says that you can promote 1 other card that you played during your turn.

So, once you'd reached the end phase of your turn, you get to promote 3 cards. And as Peter Lee correctly states, you could even use these particular cards to promote each other if you wanted to. The only restriction is that you couldn't use a card to promote itself (although I don't know if there are any cards in the game that allow you to do so.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.