GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 72.44

4,984 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
31.4% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Erik Doescher

Texas
msg tools
I'm a little bit confused about the rules on this one. I've only played one game so far, so it might just be me not understanding the larger scope of things.

After the familiar is created there is no cost (that I know of) to activate him each turn- you just have to announce it before or after your main character's actions. It turned out to be pretty OP in our game, as that player basically controlled two attacking characters (him and is familiar) each turn. The familiar has no shield roll and can die pretty fast, but then he just gets recreated again at the start of the next turn so nothing really changes.

So is the familiar meant to just follow you around the whole game at no cost after he is created?
If that is the case there would be no reason to not always it activated, so why even bother having to announce that you are activating the familiar each turn?

It feels like I am missing some kind of penalty or rule to offset that power. Or maybe the game just gets harder as you go on and you need it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smithe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct that if the reanimate is on the map, there is no cost to activate him for repeated rounds until he is defeated (or until the encounter ends).

However, if the reanimate is defeated, the necromancer must spend another action (and fatigue, to use "Raise Dead") to summon another one. The reanimate does not automatically appear at no cost after being defeated. If the necromancer is summoning the reanimate every round, he's only taking 1 other action. That may be moving, or attacking, or resting, but it won't really be 4 actions between him and his reanimate, it will be more like 3 (since one of those actions is re-summoning the reanimate, assuming it had been destroyed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul said it already, the penalty is that the Necromancer loses an action each time he has to summon a new reanimate.

You should also keep in mind that the reanimate can only attack once and move once. It can do neither of those actions twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim de Groot
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakoholic wrote:
You should also keep in mind that the reanimate can only attack once and move once. It can do neither of those actions twice.

This made the difference for me between the view that the reanimate was very strong to that it is probably balanced. When the party needs to move fast, he tends to be too slow to keep up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achille Masserano
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I'm trying to understand if at the start of the quest the reanimeted, or any other "pet", start on the map or if it needs to be summoned instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeotheOne wrote:
Sorry I'm trying to understand if at the start of the quest the reanimeted, or any other "pet", start on the map or if it needs to be summoned instead.

Unless the Familiar says to place it on the map at the start of each Encounter it does NOT start on the map and therefore needs to be summoned...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.