GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 121.25
45.9% of Goal | left
So how does Forbidden Stars handle 3 player games? I've only done 2 player versions which tend to keep both players engaged, but in 3 do you have issues with one guy being bored during combats they are not participating in a lot? And I guess if 2 players ally against 1, then it can end fairly quickly for the victim?
If the players know what they are doing, combats don't drag on much. During that time the third player may do one or more of the following:
- Plan in his head what he will do with his next Strategize or Deploy order;
- Actually carry out his next Strategize or Deploy order (if his opponents are easygoing);
- Study the card choices and abilities of his opponents for later use;
- Amuse himself at the spectacle of his opponents tearing each other apart;
- Go and get a cup of tea/beer/snacks etc.
I have found that a player is only ganged up on if he makes it very easy (being split across the map on objectives the nearby opponents want), or is winning the game so the others need to coordinate to stop him.
Otherwise the zero sum nature of the game kicks in; attacking someone uses up prefers and resources, so overdoing it leaves you vulnerable to the third player.
- Last edited Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:36 am (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:33 am
Three players is my favorite way to play.
People praise the two player game because of speed. But in reality two player game leave one boarder where a small mistake and material advantage leads to being steamrolled. With two players we are almost afraid to attack because a failed attack can mean a lost game.
Three players is still fairly quick if players know their faction, but it leaves players with multiple concerns a many targets. Because of the objective system players do not just beat up the weak player.
People tend to focus on obtainable objectives, usually these come from multiple players, making a comeback possible. Instead three player games make me think harder because I have multiple fronts and cannot simply throw everything in one direction, it makes me feel uneasy and resource starved which is a good thing.
- Last edited Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:01 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:56 am