Subject: TomAbromaitis Solos SKs 1-3 and More... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
So I've just ordered Beyond Valor and the new Yanks, so the step up to full ASL is imminent. Before that happens I wanted to say a little goodbye to SK. Make sure I get my money's worth when it comes to the trio of Starter Packs I've collected.

I'll be playing as many as I have or can download from MMP's website. I will be using the IIFT, Mike O'Leary's solo rules (Google 'em!), and most likely will be having beers while doing so.

I'll be keeping score, so grab some popcorn, soda, or candies and root for your favorite side as I play each scenario completely unscientifically and occasionally probably poorly.

Here goes!

Score through SK1:

Axis: 4
Allies: 4

Part 2 is Up!

S1 Retaking Vierville: An American landslide victory after destroying a German stack early and then over-powering the rest of the Fallschirmjagers in CC. Axis: 0 Allies: 1

S2 War of the Rats: A strong Russian counterattack force wielding PPsh submachine guns secured the Western-most building... and a Soviet victory. Axis: 0 Allies: 2

S3 Simple Equation: This scenario turned out not so simple for the attacking Americans when a lone German 4-4-7 killed a leader and squad in CC and then turned the dropped flamethrower on it's original owners... Axis: 1 Allies: 2

S4 Welcome Back: Another game of hot, hot dice for the German side. The Americans also saw their .50 cal break down early. The position was quickly overrun and Volksgrenadiers streamed out of the woods and off map. Axis: 2 Allies: 2

S5 Clearing Colleville: The US army in WW2 had no lack of firepower at the squad level. The Big Red One brought all sorts of small arms fire to bare and made this one not much of a contest. Too much for the Germans. Axis: 2 Allies: 3

S6 Released From the East: What a mess. Swirling melees and lots of point blank fire. The Germans just couldn't roost the Soviets out of the central building as they lost the Eastern-most one on turn 5. Lots of casualties. Axis: 2 Allies: 4

S7 Prelude to Festung Brest: Perhaps there's much more to this scenario than it appears. I probably wasn't aggressive enough as the Americans, but the Germans always just seemed to have just enough firepower to make crossing main roads a real issue. Traded too many shots too long for the Americans to get a move on! Axis: 3 Allies: 4

S8 Ad Hoc at Chef-du-Pont: What a game. The American 10-2 boxcar'd an early MC and was wounded. The Ami's came back fighting and killed off a German stack and were on the edge of victory when the last German squad between the Americans and their exit point passed a 2MC and then snaked not one, but TWO shots at the passing Americans resulting in 2 2KIA's. What an ending. Axis: 4 Allies: 4

So going into SK 2 it's all tied. Really enjoying my Squad Leader. Great fun thus far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Playing S5 tonight. Sometimes I outsmart myself. Americans smuffed the German HMG with a 3 roll on the first prep to really open up the West side of the village. Starting T3 and it's looking dire for the Grenadiers...

I predict an Allies lead after this game...

EDIT: No surprises here... Ami's snaked a 12 shot to eliminate the last bit of German resistance. Kinda how the game went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Finished S6 today. At one point a pair of Soviet 4-5-8s took on a lone German 4-6-8 who ended up casualty reducing. During the melee the Germans fired into it breaking both Russian squads. One Soviet squad was killed off... Next turn the broken Soviets in melee self-rally with snakes, create a 8-0, and kill the remaining Germans.

ASL.

Also this happened...

Printing out S7 and S8... right now. Sick children are keeping me home today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying reading these little thumbnail sketches of the scenario plays. I'm wondering though what effect the O'Leary rules are having? I've scanned them quickly in the past and came to the conclusion that they pretty much only shuffle around the locations of concealed / HIP units - and since SK1 doesn't have either of those, I'm wondering.

Just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
peterk1 wrote:
I'm enjoying reading these little thumbnail sketches of the scenario plays. I'm wondering though what effect the O'Leary rules are having? I've scanned them quickly in the past and came to the conclusion that they pretty much only shuffle around the locations of concealed / HIP units - and since SK1 doesn't have either of those, I'm wondering.

Just curious.

Correct! They will have ZERO effect until SK2. Probably misleading... But eventually I'll be using 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
The games have only been getting better! On to SK2! Will post a link to the next thread when I get it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.