$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
24.3% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Commissioned» Forums » General

Subject: Is Peter's Gentile Outreach Even Winnable with Less than Three Apostles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, another Peter's Gentile Outreach thread!

Third game just finished (all two-player), and our worst loss yet (a ten-member church in both Jerusalem and Jericho, and both required books written; no church anywhere else on the board and three extinguished markers placed).

The repeated problem my wife and I see is how difficult it is a) to get out of Jerusalem...and anywhere else, for that matter, once you've left Jerusalem; and b) to keep your churches alive. Why is this so difficult? I'm starting to wonder if it's because there's just two apostles in our games.

So we're trying to get our churches off the ground, but because there's only two of us, the place where we're at is hit with some awful trial every second "turn". The more apostles in the game (I'm thinking), the more time each apostle has to build up the strength of his church before trials hit again. So is it madness to even try to win this with only two apostles? With those restrictions the scenario places on growth and mission moves, it seems so to me.

Then again, if you had all six apostles in the game, they still have to get out of Jerusalem with a mission move, which ain't easy to do, given the restrictions; so Jerusalem could still be hit again and again and again with trials.

So how can this scenario be won? Or (perish the thought) is it broken?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lysaght
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is Peter's Gentile Outreach Even Winnable with Less than Three Apsotles?
During play testing, we experienced about a 50/50 win percentage. This is slightly lower than the base scenario. Here are a couple of quick tips that helped us:

1) With 2 players, we found the best bet was to grow Jerusalem enough to split into two growing churches. When you do the mission move, keep the Apostles together in Jerusalem, and send as many missionaries as you can. This keeps the trials focused in Jerusalem, and lets the other churches grow faster.

2) Add a third book to the New Testament early. This will prevent you from losing one of the two required books.

3) Barnabas and Andrew are key. You can't afford any growth stops hanging around, and adding extra church members early makes a big difference!

4) Use the "Converted City Leaders" Shield to protect the city where you keep your Apostles. It will not protect against everything, but every little bit helps!

5) Try to get the Perform Miracles card early! Especially if you play with Peter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, sir! That is all very, very helpful.

WardenF16 wrote:

1) With 2 players, we found the best bet was to grow Jerusalem enough to split into two growing churches. When you do the mission move, keep the Apostles together in Jerusalem, and send as many missionaries as you can. This keeps the trials focused in Jerusalem, and lets the other churches grow faster.

Keep the Apostles together in Jerusalem....now why didn't we think of that? shake

WardenF16 wrote:

2) Add a third book to the New Testament early. This will prevent you from losing one of the two required books.

That's about the easiest thing to do in this scenario! Mind you, it took us until last night's game to realize that. And once again I say, with reference to my wife and me, shake

WardenF16 wrote:

3) Barnabas and Andrew are key. You can't afford any growth stops hanging around, and adding extra church members early makes a big difference!

Definitely; although Paul would have been extraordinarily useful last night. We rarely could get out of Jerusalem due to mission stops.

WardenF16 wrote:

5) Try to get the Perform Miracles card early! Especially if you play with Peter.

Indeed: without that card, we would have ended last night's game with only one church of the required size!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lysaght
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to be of service! Godspeed in your future travels through Judea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter and Paul just won it with three Trial cards still in the deck! Our biggest win thus far in Commissioned! Therefore:

Thank you so, SO much for the advice, Patrick! And for crafting this fabulous game in the first place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lysaght
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on leveling up! Beware, dangerous journeys through Asia Minor and Greece await you! Get your brain ready for a whole new problem...four failures required before cheat codes will be issued, . Thanks again for playing Commissioned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.