Subject: Six players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Jr. Rosbach
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Has anyone tried with six players yet? To me it sounds like all you need to do is get some tokens for the extra player, mod the points for the tournaments to include a sixth player, and maybe put one more expansion pack and one more premium pack.

What are your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there would be too much downtime, personally. I wouldn't play this with 6 players unless they were all knew the game well and weren't prone to AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. This game is already pushing the limits of reasonable timing at five, so I wouldn't recommend it with six.
2. The delta between players for tournament standings are already large enough that the player who places last is during the first tournament is likely out of the game. Similarly, exploiting the delta between first and second is much easier for a player running the big money strategy if there's a sixth player involved, so it might make that play style a little too viable? Not sure.
3. Every player is guaranteed to see at least 39 cards from the store deck over the course of the game, so you probably need to add at least three packs to the store deck for a sixth player (and probably a fourth at least, given that every 5-player game I've played has exhausted the store deck as well). I'm not sure how this affects one's ability to consistently get the cards from a specific set if you're hunting it. On one hand, that set becomes more sparsely distributed, but on the other, an extra player will help cycle through the store deck that much faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtesting has shown that at 5 players, many times tournaments involve a very high level of disruption. I'd imagine 6 players would get even further out of control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin W
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet six players would work if the tournament phase was reworked a little bit to be two tournaments of three and three...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been talks of a 6 player mode in a future expansion. You'll have to wait and see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin W
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithry wrote:
There have been talks of a 6 player mode in a future expansion. You'll have to wait and see!

But that didn't help me on Friday night when I had 6 people at my house!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spamman5r wrote:
I bet six players would work if the tournament phase was reworked a little bit to be two tournaments of three and three...

This is a really neat idea. You'd still need more cards, but tournaments would move much faster and be less disrupted, more in-line with a three-player game.

I think the best bet might be to have each tournament be neighbouring players, but rotate each round. So something like ABC/DEF, BCD/EFA, CDE/FAB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.