Subject: My Nascar Driver Placards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
So,

Like many of you I decided to purchase 1:144 scale Nascar cars to add to the overall theme of the game. I'm really glad I did. The cardboard cards that came with the game are good, and the part about flipping them over to activate/deactivate is a great idea. What we do with the 144 scale cars is just turn them around backwards to show they went already for a turn.

I decided to make my own Driver Placards to use for the 1:144 scale cars I got. I wanted to have cars for the top 42 drivers from the 1997 Winston Cup Standings. I tried for the most part to stay true to the 1997 Racing Champions series. I made some slight changes on a few drivers because some of them didn't have cars made by RC that year for whatever reason, and also I needed to fill out the field for 6 cars per color type. Also I didn't simply just paste over the current team color cards as I wanted to leave this option open, that I could still play the game with the original components drivers, cardboard cars, if I wanted to. I know there are modified team color cards out there too. I might try my hand with making some of those as well.

I realize in a 5-7 player teem that you will only run 3 cars per team. But I wanted to have a full field of 42 cars available in-case in the future we decide to run a race using all 42 cars!

Some guys that I found cars on were much lesser known then some guys I could not find cars on. So for instance I stole the lesser known guys car and assigned the well known driver to it (Example, for Randy Lajoie I took his car and gave it to Mike Skinner who finished much higher in the 1997 Winston Cup Standings that year. The Earnhardt car I have decided that I will try and make. I can't just re-assign him to another car, that would be like re-assigning Michael Jordan a new number and to the Pacers! That just wont' work, too much of an icon, my game needs the #3 Earnhardt Goodwrench car. I will find a way to make it work. I plan on taking another black car from the series and doing some touchup work on it. I'll post it here when I'm done making it.

The Pink team became White. The Purple team is a hodge-podge of odds and ends, a mixed colors team of cars that didn't fit as well into the other color groups. Some matches were a little bit of a stretch like Dick Trickle's primarily black car with a green front bumper/hood but I needed one more green for 6 and I had plenty of black cars, plus I needed room for Earnhardt.

Some of the cars are not in the photo because they are still on their way to me, should get most of them this week.

The placards themselves came out good. I probably could have spent some more time cutting around some of the edges better but all and all I'm happy with it. I was a little rushed as I wanted to have this done in time for my family vacation coming up next week. I probably should have made the placards a little shorter. When I initially made them I didn't think about the lamination part that might stick out on the end and cover up the Turn Leader Marker spot. They cover just a little but I'm not too worried about that.

How I made these. I initially made the squares on a Word Doc and edited the fonts, colors, etc. Then I took my saved work on a flash drive down to Office Depot. I'm really not well versed with computers, and printers and stuff but the guy there, Richard was of great help to me. I told him what I was trying to do and he helped me every step of the way. I found out he is a gamer too. He said he was off to play some Dungeon Crawlers with his friends later tonight. So we chatted for a bit about different games. Thanks Richard!

Anyway at Office Depot I gave them my flash drive and they were able to print out all 7 teams for me on sticker paper. Then he had some thin cardboard that he let me have for no charge. I put the stickers on this then trimmed them down on a cutting board station they had. So after I had all my little rectangles ready he placed them all on some laminate sheets and they were done. I just trimmed them out of the lamination with scissors. Altogether it cost me about $6 to have them all done and made. It did take me longer then it should to edit all of them on my Word Doc though.

Here are the pics of my work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you did it in Word.
I always use Publisher for this kind of jobs.
But nicely done.
Think I'll have to do the same to get my 1/144 cars in use.
Wonder if the two circuits from Real Action Stockcar Championship would be useful for this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks Rene. I might actually try and re-make each of the large team cards too but with my Nascar drivers. I already saw some that other people did. Again I'd replace Pink with white car drivers and Purple would just be a hodge-podge or colored cars that don't quite fit with any other group Purple itself, Orange, Grey, etc.

I'm not familiar with RASC. I've looked at it a little bit, looks like a lot folks enjoy that one too.

I'm really hoping to get the Crew Chief Expansion for this, but I got into this after the Kickstarter ended. So I hope it generates enough buzz that they decide to release more copies after the Kickstarter campaign. Fingers Crossed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.