Subject: The Big Bad Wolf... in the Woods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
The Woodlands is a strange place.

Let's make it a little bit stranger.

1. The Werewolf begins the game on the Crossroads (inside the Woodlands).
2. Death can't enter the Woodlands and the Werewolf can never leave.
3. In the Woodlands, whenever a player roll a 1 for movement in the Woodlands, roll again for the Werewolf instead of Death.
4. In the Woodlands, whenever a player encounters an event, flip the day/night card instead of moving the Harbinger.
5. In the Woodlands, players are not affected by the current Omen, only the day/night card.

Practically -- whether or not you're in the Woodlands or not -- whenever you roll a 1, there is only one additional bit of upkeep. And whenever you encounter an event card, there is also only one additional bit of upkeep.

Before the Harbinger, I thought the Werewolf a little fiddly, but not as much as most. I always had a much bigger problem with Lycanthrope never being that much of a bane for a player. With the addition of the Harbinger on top of the Reaper, rolling a 1, encountering event cards, and keeping track of on-going effects & upkeep are all doubled. The fiddly-ness was doubled.

By isolating the Werewolf to the Woodlands, it kind of solves most the problems I had. And it also adds some strategy as the Woodlands now acts as a type of sanctuary when really nasty Omens are on top of the Omen deck. (It also slows the end of the world from coming when you are guaranteed NOT to advance the current omen.)

Why can't the Reaper or Harbinger enter the Woodlands? And why does the current Omen, heralding the end of the world, have no effect?

Well, like I said, the Woodlands is a strange place.
And King Oberon and Queen Titania's magic is strong.
And "nature" is a common theme as a neutral force that stands in opposition to both good & evil.

All of the above. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.