Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
After receiving my HINT box and reading through all the material, I've come across a quite large list of issues or inconsistencies.
So instead of crying like a baby I'd prefer to start a type of FAQ thread, that PING can use if they want to add to their official FAQ.
thanks a lot guys!

So these are my first points:

- Maps:
-- Maps are printed way too small
Many details are lost, it's hard to make out the number of the terminals and the corresponding door's color. Furthermore about 75% of the TAC rating are impossible to read because of the background graphics.

-- Map explanations & scenario rules
Many things on the maps are very unclear. I can guess how they are meant, but they can easily be debated by other players. The same goes for scenario-specific rules. 75% of them are always the same. It's a waste to reprint them every time on every mission.

- Missions:
Most missions feature "Points" the teams get for completing certain objectives. What are these points? victory points, simply to define the winner? Resource points to by equipment and gear in the next mission?

-- Length & victory condition
Usually the mission read: "duration: until X turns or one team has reached its objectives." so what happens if X turn pass an no one reached their objectives? the one with the most "points" wins?

-- Continuity, aka "campaign"
After one of the earlier missions the Ubermensch' goal is to capture The Hacker of Nakamura (forgot her name). the Mission fluff of the next mission suggests, they failed. What if they don't fail? will she start the next mission as a prisoner? What if she dies? what if Tomo dies at some point? the missions don't seem really connected or at least there seems to be no direct "consequence" of any outcome of a mission.
My suggestion: Every mission briefing should include a part that reads:
"If team A was successful, then... otherwise..." etc. you get my drift.

- Rules:
-- Drone spawn points
What happens if a model stand on top of a Drone spawn point? is it blocked, aka the drone will not spawn there but on another point? what if all points are blocked by models? How to choose which point to select? random? predefined? in one BSC mission it says spawn closest to the characters...

- Multiplayer:
-- Playing with more than two Players
This is more of a suggestion than a "bug".
3P: One player should play the AI with the following tweaks:

- Don't reveal the placements of drones unless the other players see it (LOS) or if they took over an adjacent terminal and thus see it through the CCTV. This means, that it's possible, that more drones are on the board as predefined in the missions because some drones are "hidden" in unexplored rooms.

- Spawn drones following the standard rules but if you have no drone to spawn (maximum on the board) then you can move the spawn point instead (danger rising, AI getting more aware of the intruder and thus reacting more aggressively)

- Change of length: Dont stick to the maximum turn number. Instead raise your drone maximum by one for any two additional turn the teams take to fulfill their objectives

- Victory points: As AI player you get additional victory points (VC), 1 for crippling a character, two for killing one, 3 for turning one into a drone (Reaching 10 cybershock). With these VC you can buy additional drones and equipment: Each drone (including the Motoshige) costs 2 VC. changing it's armament costs 1 VC. (I'll love to equip my Muramasa's with Saipan shotguns!!!)

I'll add more points later, but for now I'd love to hear your input!
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I understand some things from the rule and mission books that you have questions about:

Missions:

Points: these are the points that can be used to get new equipment between the missions.

Length & victory condition:
I believe, that there is no concrete "victory objective" in missions in this game, like we understand it from other games. In every mission your side has certain objectives to achieve that will provide points for getting equipment in the inter mission phase. The side with the most points wins the mission and as a consequence of accumulating more point will power up more. So basically, you are fighting to get more points to get better equipment to have advantage in subsequent missions (and so on) to finally win the final mission of the campaign. If the round limit passes, players are left with the points they accumulated so far from the objectives they managed to complete. If none of the players managed to complete anything, they are left with that.

Continuity, aka "campaign"
I would gladly hear something more about that as well.

Rules:

Drone spawn points:
I think you'd apply the same rules as when the other drone stands on the spawning point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
I agree on the "victory points". it's just that the missions feel a bit disconnected from each other with no real consequence that carries over (save for those points). Furthermore you could be fighting a battle uphill if you loose one mission (in the sense of getting next to no points and the other one gets 'em all), then the next one will be harder to score and then even harder you progress mission wise. It's thinkable that by mission 5 or so, you are completely overpowered by the other team, ressource and personnel wise. I mean it clearly says that dead figures stay dead. And crippled ones stay crippled with specific health etc. (in the mission special rules section). so you team will gradually shrink, more so if you loose. I wonder if by mission 8 any team even has more than 2 figures standing.
Now if you reset in between missions, then continuity goes right out of the window and the whole victory points to buy stuff is completely moot as well...

I don't know man. There is just something missing or maybe I'm missing it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
Thanks!
I agree on the "victory points". it's just that the missions feel a bit disconnected from each other with no real consequence that carries over (save for those points). Furthermore you could be fighting a battle uphill if you loose one mission (in the sense of getting next to no points and the other one gets 'em all), then the next one will be harder to score and then even harder you progress mission wise. It's thinkable that by mission 5 or so, you are completely overpowered by the other team, ressource and personnel wise. I mean it clearly says that dead figures stay dead. And crippled ones stay crippled with specific health etc. (in the mission special rules section). so you team will gradually shrink, more so if you loose. I wonder if by mission 8 any team even has more than 2 figures standing.
Now if you reset in between missions, then continuity goes right out of the window and the whole victory points to buy stuff is completely moot as well...

I don't know man. There is just something missing or maybe I'm missing it...

I did a speed read lat night and I recall campaign missions (not all of them are) have a reward section to gain recovery between missions.

Personally I am going to make some of the advanced rules standard especially hit damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this is true, but it is limited to two things:
Recover up to two wounds or reduce Cybershock by two points, depending on mission booklet.
This is a big missed opportunity. I mean they could easily have done things like:
If team A managed to get the data, then in the next mission they can control some doors or some drones or whatever...

I think I'll re-write the campaign for my group and I'll add proper "consequences" for winning or loosing a mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
HINT

1. Components
There are onlt two Tactical Network Boards what happens when playing 3 or more factions. Does this mean we are limited to two factions +AI and the AI does not use the Boards.

2. Doors

Page 17

Locked doors can only be opened by a character in control of the corresponding Terminal

Shouldn't this read by a characters on the tactical network by a character in control of the corresponding Terminal.

3. Terminal

Page 17
A security Terminal controls the cameras in all adjacent rooms and hallways, including those adjacent diagonally.
Examining the maps for missions it seems that this should read :-
A security Terminal controls the cameras in all adjacent rooms , hallways and rooms adjacent to those hallways, including those adjacent diagonally.

If this is not the case then some rooms will not be controllable.

4. Wounds

Page 8 states
Character cards start on their “healthy” side for standalone missions and are turned over to the crippled side when the number of wounds received is equal to or greater than the number of wounds marked on the card.

Page 17/18 states
Once the number of + wounds exceeds the Wound value on the character’s card, flip ALARM TOKENS the card to its crippled side.

Which is correct?

5. Alarm Tokens

Page 18

The Alarm tokens are generated just once for each type of action (ignore any subsequent actions of the same type).

Is this per character or per round . If two charcaters carry out the same action does the above apply?

6. Cyberwarfare Procedure

Page 23

a)
....o, lay the cards face down on the Tactical Network card in the spare programme slots).

shouldn't this read (for clarity)

....o, lay any new cards face down on the Tactical Network card in the spare programme slots).

b)

The Players may keep a maximum of five cards in their hand and must discard any CW cards in excess of this.

shouldn't this read : to be consistant with initil paragraph of Section -
The Players may keep a maximum of five cards in their hand and on their Tactical network (excluding other factions programmes) and must discard any CW cards in excess of this.

or

c)
Plan and decide on card usage (returning to the players hand any CW cards on the Tactical Network that the Player wishes to) lay new programme cards face down on the Tactical Network card in the spare programme slots. The Players may keep a maximum of five cards in their hand and must discard any CW cards in excess of this.

Note;- Brackets should be replaced by commas.

Note:- It is not clear if rival factions Virus/Worms on a Players Tactical Network count against a players hand limit or not

7. Cyberwarfare Procedure continued

In the Example Chapter 9 page 38 it states:-

After laying the cards down the Players turn them face up at the same time and 38 HUMAN INTERFACE NAKAMURA TOWER RULES pay their SR costs with SR tokens.
This is at odds with the rules on Page 24

Attacker reveals their first offensive CW card and any supporting Booster programme being played and pays their SR costs.

Defender reveals their first defensive CW card played on their Tactical Network and pays their SR costs.

also shouldn't they read
Attacker reveals their first offensive CW card and any supporting Booster programme being played and pays the SR install costs of any newly revealed cards and the running costs of existing cards.

Defender reveals their first defensive CW card played on their Tactical Network and pays their SR install costs of any newly revealed cards and the running costs of existing cards.

8. Cyberwarfare Procedure continued

Conduct Cyberwarfare battle (draw CanDo cards, add programme strength and use SRs (a maximum of 2) to boost the total programme strengths, use special rules and abilities and also subtract 3 if attacking remotely).

Question :- do you spend upto 2 SR after CanDo cards are drawn and revealed or after you draw yours but before the opposition reveals theirs or before they are revealed. This can make a big difference.

9. Cyberwarfare Procedure continued

Page 24

The cost of additional attacks is equal to the “running programme” costs of the programme cards used in the previous attempt.

Shouldn't this read

The cost of additional attacks is equal to the “running programme” costs of the programme already installed or install of any newly revealed cards.

Note: It is not clear if you can keep a number of the same type of "attack" programmes running simultaneously or have to discard to run a new type.
You could have face down programmes of different costs and use sniffer to aid in choice or try with lower SR cost attack first and if it breaks defence (lucky CanDo) then use higher attack if you have SR's

It is not clear what happens if a CW attack by faction fails but has unrevealed offensive programme and SR to play them.
It is also not clear when different CW cards special actions occur is it when costs paid or when succesful .
Algorithm - Immediatly and discard (no running cost)
SNIFFING - Immediatly and discard (no running cost)
ICE - When Running/Install costs paid - coninuously
Bastion - When Running/Install costs paid
Worm /Virus - When Installed on enemy Tactical Network ?
or
do some special abilities come into play when installed and running and others when infecting a Tactical Network.
Example - Ubermensch Gang MIND WORM
It has +1 strength against any Tactical Network defensive programmes (not vs AI?) and -2 to speed skill of enemy character
Does the second ability only apply when on enemy faction Tactical Network board or do both only apply when on enemy faction Tactical Network Board.
Procedure - When Running/Install costs paid - booster linked programme and discarded if attack fails/defence defeated.
IDS - When Running/Install costs paid or when defeats an attack?

I am assuming the order is :-

Cyber warfare

Initative player decides order that Each faction's Hacker attacks.

All factions
Plan and decide Card usage

Use SR Booster Cards

Use sniffrer cards

In faction order determined by Initiative player .
Resolve Cyberwarfare battle in one location
First attatck vs defence -
Attacker uses running programmes , paying costs and /or reveals CW cards and pays install costs
Defender uses running programmes , paying costs and /or reveals CW cards and pays install costs
Resolve all programme special abilities.
Succeed - repeat attack if location has more than one defence card
- attack another location
fail - repeat atatck if programme available or attack another location

10. Real World Phase

Action Points can be spent on the following action options: Move, Ranged Attack, Close Combat Attack, Special Action or use of Gear. In general one Action Point is used for each Action, though some Special Actions (e.g. opening a door) and Gear use do not require the expenditure of Action Points

for Gear does it cost a action point or does its use not require expenditure of action points ?

11. Close Combat Attack (CC)

Page 28
The Reactive Player applies an additional -3 modifier if using the Fast Attack reaction (the character had less time to react to the attack), alternatively he/she can use the Dodge reflex reaction. Everything else works the same as the Ranged Attack.

Does this meen a Fast Attack reaction to CC is -3 and an additional -3

Note: the chart on page 42 implies its only -3. Also this and the chart on Page 18 (alarm token Generators) should have been on a Play aid card or cards. as well as the action list on page 30.

Other ranged weapons can be used in Close Combat but with

Also is the penalty for using a ranged weapon in a Fast Attack vs CC an additional -3 e.g. -6. If only equipped with a ranged weapon and decides to use bare/cyber arms is the rnaged weapon turned over (unequipped)?

12. Example page 29

States:- Greater then than effective range but less than maximum range. - it should be but within maximum range - otherwise maximum range is reduced by 1.

13. Clean Up Phase.

Page 33 Close all doors that can be closed. - Does this include doors whose security terminal is under the control of a Faction.

14. Clean Up Phase.

Page 33.
Remove own Cyberware cards -

Any cards still face down are turned face-up. If there are not enough SR tokens on a card to support it the card is immediately discarded.

This has already been carried out at the end of the Cyberwarfare phase page 25.

At the end of the CW Phase all players declare any face down cards and remove there are insufficient SRs for their initial costs. If SRs any card that did not have sufficient SRs is discarded.

15. Clean up Phase.

Page 33
Discard any number of non-blank CW cards from the Player’s hand of CW cards.

add see Advanced rules for use of blank CW cards.

16. Examples

Page 44

3. RANGED ATTACK VS. TAKE COVER EXAMPLE

Perform an opposed test based on the Speed Skill values plus any “Dodge” bonuses of the Target...

this is the only mention of adding Dodge bonuses to a take cover attack , it makes sense but is this a typo?

Shoko uses a Move Action to get Line of Sight on Tetsuo and then decides to make a Ranged Attack. Tetsuo is next to an open door and decides to react by using the Take Cover reaction to move out of Line of Sight. Tetsuo’s Speed Skill is 4 and has no bonuses for Dodge, whilst Shoko has a Physical Skill of 8. Tetsuo would need a CanDo card 5 higher than Shoko in order to get his Take Cover reaction in and prevent Shoko from making a Ranged Attack.

I thought the take cover had to beat the Ranged Attack in which case Tetsuo will need a CanDo card equal to 4 + any Ranged attack bonuses Shoko has.

This needs clear and consistant wording see 17. Either you need to equal or exceed the Attack - As n attack needs to exceed then a defence only needs to equal.

17. Tests in General

Tests page 15 states.

If the result is higher than the listed basic value then the test is successful. If the result is equal to or less than the basic value then the test has failed.

It probably should state in opposed tests the attacker's Ranged or Close Combat must exceed the Defender 's Fast attack,Take Cover or Dodge.

18. Advanced rule Hit Location

For a left-handed person just reverse the allocation of left and right

Should comment rhat this is significant for Legs as the odds for 1and 3 are different from 2 and 4.

Last Week

The Oneda sister player Boards have the wrong names but correct pictures ,
I think Yuko's is 7 physical and 3 mental correct picture and Shinsu's is the other one with Gunslinger again correct picture wrong Name or the rule books are all wrong.

Also

We have :-cards #20 Isetani Nihonto, #21 Isetani Ichigeki, #22 Isetani Ichigeki but it should have been 2 x Nihonto and 2 x Ichigeki to correctly equip base characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Loig . I keep missing this as normally Rules Faq's are under Rules , so I didn't look under General.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was tabled on club night between experienced Miniature and Netrunner gamers , played TT and TT style Boardgames e.g. MERCS,Recon, Infinty , Warhammer ....

We felt it was a good game and just needs tidying up. Especially for new players to genre.

We soldiered on and wasted time working things out.
The setup was agonising due to Player board gear and weapon descritions not quite matching the cards. Need to create a cross reference spreadsheet.

The missions miss essential information. We decided to go for Grab What you can and had to read between the lines. The Map only has one objective token and could do with some text to show which it is and the other objective should be present with text.

No security level so we assumed it was starting number of drones e.g. 2

Order of picking Team Budget gear - needs some rules or more Gear and tokens otherwise unbalanced , I let my opponent choose , he took all the commercial SR boosters (Free for him) leaving me with poor choices.

We had the feeling this was play tested with experienced players thet did not restrict themselves to the core components.

page 13 "a low value reducing the number of Cyber Warfare cards
drawn?" When does this happen

Faction Special Skills - per turn or per game?

Page 18 Alarm Token generating Token is Hacking Gear any gear that Contributes to Cyber battles including adding extra SR or Card draws or specifc gear e.g. that adds strength.

Initiative bid what happens in a tie - we drew CanDo cards.
Also use CW tokens to bid then paid for them from SR , saved having to place them and then pick them all up.

Play SR's hidden or revealed and what order? We played draw CanDo then attacker plays SR's followed by defender then reveal , we also missed the limit of 2 SR's.

Page 26 last sentence is wrong as initiative player chooses order . repeat procedure until all members of the player with initiative have been activated then move on to the next player.

Do you place SR tokens on CW cards when placed face down Page 33 implies that you do but Page 22 states Face-Down cards do not havve SR placed on them until they are used or end of CW phase.

Do you place SR on cards when you pay for them ?(we just discarded them)

If TN infected by multiple Worm/virus does each character test once or once for each?

CW Battles per faction one of Purge , Hack TN , Hack Terminal
or can you attempt Hack on both TN and Terminal?

If virus disables Cyber gear , when is it enabled? is it removed or just left face down.

Can you Use Medical gear on self rules only say adjacent model.

When dragging can you use cyber muscles/body as well as legs and arms?

Page 27 All Attacks are simultaneous ? All the rules suggest one winner so what is simultaneous.

Why does table on page 42 have Move (perform dodge) as an action , surely a dodge is a Reaction and you cannot Fast Attack a Reaction?

Ranged Attack vs Fast Attack does Fast attack total need to exceed Ranged attack total as it does vs Move ? we played the reactive player only needed to equal the Active Characters total.

Does and the target of a fast Attack benefits from TAC even if it is making a Ranged attack. Does a Target of a Fast CC attack benefit from TAC (at Range 0)

Are Hallways per tile or continuous hallway ? played per tile.

I have submitted as a formatted PDF in files section

EDIT as now approved in Files section .

Please feel free to comment

Hint Detailed Sequence game Summary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional Questions :-
Fast attack CC attack is it handled as normal CC or is it FA CC -3 vs Active players Ranged or Move(dodge) test.
If as normal CC and in response to a ranged attack would the attacker be limited to using ranged weapon or if Heavy unarmed? In the time I cant see being able to switch to CC weapon.

Attack Alarm tokens is it + 1 only for any combination of Ranged/Move vs Fast Attack or +1 for Ranged and +1 for FA response?

Why does it state in table +1 for CC without using ranged weapons is there a missing entry for CC with ranged weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PING have posted a FAQ - however it still has some issues.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7o3fsuihryqzfv/HINT%20FAQ%201.0.p...

The worst two:-

Hint FAQ wrote:

" Page 17 says: Locked doors can only be opened by a character in control of the corresponding terminal...”. Does it mean that only the hacker controlling the terminal can open them or any character belonging to the team of the controlling hacker can open them? Answer: Only a Hacker can be in control of a Terminal and thus it is the Hacker that controls the opening and closing of the associated doors. If the Hacker is rendered unconscious then he loses control of the Terminal (but any CW cards installed remain)."

Hint FAQ wrote:

"Page 27 All Attacks are simultaneous ? All the rules suggest one winner so what is simultaneous. ANSWER Each attack is resolved separately and the results applied simultaneously. It is not a Ranged Attack versus a Fast Attack, but RA and FA!)."

These were queried on the KS Update

Reply on KickStarter Comments to Page 17 item in FAQ wrote:

@Jerry T
To be clear about the doors. If Hacker control the Terminal it means that all the member of his team can / allow to change status all the doors who's Terminal they control. One of the main goal is to protect the Hacker.

Reply on KickStarter Comments to Page 27 item in FAQ wrote:

About opposing test. Action trigger Reaction. This is situation we've called simultaneous. You as a Reactive Player has a chance to make some reaction and compare (with - modifier) to Active player. Like in Infinity. Somebody wins. Always.

My Reply
@Postindustrial Games. First thank you for responding.
Your current Answer should have been the answer to the FAQ question e.g.
If Hacker control the Terminal it means that all the member of his team can change the status(Open, Close ,Lock , Unlock) of all the doors who's Terminal they control.

If the Hacker is unconscious then control is lost which is why one of the main goals is to protect the Hacker.

For the Simultaneous Combat and not opposed tests.

That is not an accepted meaning in gaming of simultaneous in gaming. If you do not tell us you have called an opposed test Simultaneous how can we know what you mean. If you had added at the beginning of the real world phase :-
All actions happen simultaneously , for gaming purposes the characters take their actions sequentially. Each combat comprises of the activating characters action versus the targets reaction.
@PING what you have described is a Ranged Attack versus a Fast Attack because these happen simultaneously.
RA and FA suggest that first you do a RA and then you do a FA.

Which means in both the examples your FAQ answer is at best misleading and at worst wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Starman54 wrote:
If as normal CC and in response to a ranged attack would the attacker be limited to using ranged weapon or if Heavy unarmed? In the time I cant see being able to switch to CC weapon.

How could you respond to a ranged attack with a fast attack? According to P30 of the rules -

"The Reactive Player can declare the use of a Fast Attack reaction ... at any point during a Move action by the Active Player's model"
Move is a separate action to Ranged Attack. As far as I can see the only reaction you can declare against any kind of attack action is dodge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archonsod wrote:
Starman54 wrote:

How could you respond to a ranged attack with a fast attack? According to P30 of the rules -

"The Reactive Player can declare the use of a Fast Attack reaction ... at any point during a Move action by the Active Player's model"
Move is a separate action to Ranged Attack. As far as I can see the only reaction you can declare against any kind of attack action is dodge.

Since the FAQ and exchanges on KS Comments my question is redundant as you can use a FA (Ranged Attack) in response to a CC.

Rules wrote:

The Reactive Player may use
either the Take Cover or Fast Attack reaction once in a
turn. In addition, he may make any number of Dodge
reactions.

Rules wrote:

Reactions are special actions that a
character of the Reactive Player can perform
during the Active Player’s turn. Once a
character has made a reaction place a “Reacted” token
by the model to signify that it cannot take another reaction
except Dodge for the rest of the turn:
• Reactions that can be performed only once per
turn and only by the Reactive Player’s models:
• Fast Attack – perform a Ranged Attack or Close
Combat Attack with a -3 modifier,
• Take Cover – the model can move one square
such that it is either further away from the
active model that triggered the reaction or there
is no Line of Sight.

Your quoted rule follows this and it is to show that you can react to a move as opposed to just an attack but are limited to a Take Cover or Fast Attack (CC or Ranged) you cannot dodge a Move. Which means if you have Reacted that turn you cannot react to a Move even with a dodge.

Rules wrote:
Dodge is a special Reflex action that can be performed
multiple times per round, only when attacked (by both
Active and Reactive models):

PING probably should clarify this as otherwise all the other tests are redundant. I think they would assume we would infer this.

Sub Headings Of Reactions to Attacks and Reactions to a Move would help.

- The examples clearly show all these combinations:-
Format:- Active Players Action vs reacting Players action.

Page 42 "1. MOVE VS. FAST ATTACK"
Page 43 "2. MOVE VS. TAKE COVER"
Page 44 "3. RANGED ATTACK VS. TAKE COVER EXAMPLE"
Page 44 "4. RANGED ATTACK VS. DODGE EXAMPLE"
Page 46 "5. RANGED ATTACK VS. FAST ATTACK EXAMPLE"
Page 47 "6. CLOSE COMBAT ATTACK VS. DODGE EXAMPLE"
Page 48 "7. CLOSE COMBAT ATTACK VERSUS FAST ATTACK"
Page 48 "8. CLOSE COMBAT ATTACK VERSUS TAKE COVER"

I believe you choose your weapon at the beginning of that characters activation , you can have only one of each type of weapon e.g. Ranged and CC (and only one cyberdeck) the others are turned facedown.

So it is too late to change. However if you have cyberwear that boosts CC then it will boost Unarmed or even act as a CC weapon it is not that clear from the rules.

Considering the the rules state cybergear being a force in CC e.g.

"In an era of cyberbodies and exoskeletons,
cyberarms have the potential to be far more lethal
than bullets." It doesn't always seem to be the case.

@PING perhaps you would comment please.

The non active characters Reaction choices are to any Action by the active character - Move, Ranged attack or CC.

1.If not yet reacted other than Dodge this turn - Take Cover (calculated as per dodge but move a square if successful - behind corner , through door)

2. If not yet reacted other than Dodge this turn - Fast Attack which could be CC or Ranged Attack.

3. Dodge which you mentioned.

The active player is limited to a dodge if it is subject to a Fast attack in response to their Move action as an Active player cannot use a FA(ranged or CC) or Take Cover Reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can always fight in CC with your bare hands. and sometimes (with the right cyberarms) this is even more lethal than a CC weapon... (shoko is the perfect example for that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
you can always fight in CC with your bare hands. and sometimes (with the right cyberarms) this is even more lethal than a CC weapon... (shoko is the perfect example for that)

Yes but if attacked by a CC attack if you have already reacted that turn you can only dodge.

Which was the gist of the previous post.

As for unarmed it comes with a penalty to Physical (-4) and damage (-2)
IMO this should not apply if you have Cyber enhancement that adds to CC but thats not how the rules read.

Updated the Hint Detailed Sequence game Summary (v1.2) changes to CC following PING response.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzwymJlVkywUWUYzZklW...

and posted in files but may take 24 hours to appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agreed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
These are my questions after reading the rulebook several times, reading the FAQ, and playing a learning game...

1. Cyberwarfare when the network draws only an attack card. If I attack the network with a worm and it draws a worm card what happens? Does it get only the can-do card value? Does if get its worm strength plus the can-do value? Does it automatically get defeated?

2. Can you have duplicates of the same chip... Ex. Double up on pain blocker or data-bank?

3. In the ranged attack vs take cover example it says that making the take cover action will 'prevent Shoko from making a ranged attack', if the ranged attack is prevented (instead of just missing) does the attacker get his spent action back?

4. If a take cover action doesn't get you out of line of sight what happens? Is it just a dodge that lets you move one square?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here is how I understood it:
The terminal draws one cando card and adds it to its defensive program. if there is none, then it adds it to 0 (slimmer chance, but might still win). If not defeated, then the terminal will counterattack with a cando card plus its offensive card and the hacker has to defend himself.

Alternatively, you could do the following: add the cando card to whatever program card has been drawn for the terminal and compare it to the hackers attack:
- If the terminal looses, the hacker takes it over.
- If the terminal wins with a defensive program card it ends the fight
- if the terminal wins with an offensive program card it installs it in the hacker's network

2. Yes, I don't see anything contradicting this in the rules, this can lead to pretty powerful builds. It does rais another question: How to select the chips before the game starts? naturally the Nakamura team would just take all the chips, since they cost 0 for them... We played it that we split the duplicate chips and let each team pick from their pot.

3. We read it like this: the "effect" of the attack is prevented, not the attack itself. But you could read it both ways, eg. jumping into cover so that the attacker not even bothers with pulling the trigger. But we thought this is wrong, because you would use all benefiting equipment for the attack so the attack does take place and the attacker looses their action if it missed.

4. Then you got hit and stay in the same square. You only move a square if you succeeded. There is no additional dodge, because as your only reaction you chose "take cover" and you failed it (only one reaction to an action). For some characters it's actually easier to dodge than to take cover and for others it's the other way around. We found that the take cover action is best used before the attack, during the opponents movement, because there it's uncontested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
here is how I understood it:
The terminal draws one cando card and adds it to its defensive program. if there is none, then it adds it to 0 (slimmer chance, but might still win). If not defeated, then the terminal will counterattack with a cando card plus its offensive card and the hacker has to defend himself.

From what I understand this is correct.
Loig wrote:

Alternatively, you could do the following: add the cando card to whatever program card has been drawn for the terminal and compare it to the hackers attack:
- If the terminal looses, the hacker takes it over.
- If the terminal wins with a defensive program card it ends the fight
- if the terminal wins with an offensive program card it installs it in the hacker's network

I think this is the same thing, obviously the Terminal can sometimes have both an offensive and defensive card etc.
Loig wrote:

2. Yes, I don't see anything contradicting this in the rules, this can lead to pretty powerful builds. It does rais another question: How to select the chips before the game starts? naturally the Nakamura team would just take all the chips, since they cost 0 for them... We played it that we split the duplicate chips and let each team pick from their pot.

I have raised this and no answer - The only fair way would be for viable slections to bid or draft or alternate each selection. If you alternate by faction then obviously if Nakumura goes first it will load up , if not it may lose its faction advantage , which will impact balance.

We need multiple sets?
Loig wrote:

3. We read it like this: the "effect" of the attack is prevented, not the attack itself. But you could read it both ways, eg. jumping into cover so that the attacker not even bothers with pulling the trigger. But we thought this is wrong, because you would use all benefiting equipment for the attack so the attack does take place and the attacker looses their action if it missed.

I agree and PING have claried the attack is simultneous but only one winner. So if you lost the attack you were unsighted/missed or it bounced off. It happened so your action is gone and suffer any CS test.
Loig wrote:

4. Then you got hit and stay in the same square. You only move a square if you succeeded. There is no additional dodge, because as your only reaction you chose "take cover" and you failed it (only one reaction to an action). For some characters it's actually easier to dodge than to take cover and for others it's the other way around. We found that the take cover action is best used before the attack, during the opponents movement, because there it's uncontested...

I would agree you were hit before you took cover . from PINGs FAQ and subsequent clarification the actions in the opposed Test are simultneous but only the effect of the winners action is implemented, the other is cancelled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.