5 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another Survival of the Fittest / Protect the Young variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Roza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
As many before us, my group, during our first campaign, went for the 'survival of the fittest' principle. Mainly because you get the +1 strength bonus and it just sounds cooler than 'Protect the young'.
But, as many before us, we regretted that choice almost immediately.

I think, almost all on this forum are in agreement that SotF is too harsh, with not much in return (the 1 strength and + survival is ok, but not that good considering the drawbacks).
Also, I am of the opinion that PtY is overpowered. It gives the settlement unlimited (ok, limited to endeavors) options to gain saviors, create cannon fodder for a nemesis battle and most importantly, have more opportunities to create better and better warriors.

I was looking for a way to level the playing field a bit and came up with the following. I'd love to know what you all think.

------------

Intimacy:
If population increases above 15, as a result of intimacy, archive 1 consumable item for every newborn child. If the settlement does not have enough consumable items, the child dies. In the case of twins, only 1 dies.

Saviors are unable to procreate.

Survival of the Fittest:
When rolling for intimacy, add strength of the female to your lowest result. This is your intimacy result, even if that roll is now higher than the other roll.

------------

Notes:
- The consumable item addition makes sure there is a slight drawback to just procreating for the heck of it. If you get a settlement that nurtures every person, the newborns probably will be weaker at first and in need of extra nourishment. I went for 15 population, because that is also the number chosen for the 'Society principle'.
- Saviors are unable to procreate, because I am afraid female red saviors will make intimacy with SotF too easy,
- With SotF, the new children should become more powerful, not only in battle, but in creating new soldiers as well. Adding it to your lower roll, still means it's not overpowered, but acts more as a failsafe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Sunstalker campaign yet, as we have to finish base things first and try to play spoiler-free (also had a long break from KDM with both groups), but I kinda like the +strenght variant for Survival of the Fittest. I find it most sensible and thematic of all I've seen yet.
That said, I'd drop the part with archiving consumables, seems forced.
As for the saviors being OP, Poots wrote that they will be considerably nerfed in 1.4 update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's a smart solution for SotF. Not sure how balanced it would be if you could get a settlement rolling under that thing.. but thematically I love the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Styfen wrote:
Have you looked at the Sunstalker campaign yet? It uses Survival of the Fittest combined with a new intimacy table that makes SotF interesting.

I have it lying around, but don't want to spoil too much, so I haven't looked yet. Did you mean to imply that it would be good to change the SotF intimacy table to that one in a 'Lantern/Watcher' campaign?

ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
... I kinda like the +strenght variant for Survival of the Fittest. I find it most sensible and thematic of all I've seen yet. That said, I'd drop the part with archiving consumables, seems forced.

Thanks! I don't know about the archiving consumables-thing myself, but I think there needs to be a slight nerf on the PtY-principe as well. At least that's how I feel.
I tried to take a thematic route, where a settlement with too many children would probably have problems feeding the many mouths.
Any other ideas are very welcome.

ksiazekrzysztof wrote:

As for the saviors being OP, Poots wrote that they will be considerably nerfed in 1.4 update.

Didn't mean to say the saviors are OP, but having a female red savior doing 'SotF' intimacy with all her strength boosts, THAT would probably be OP .

Exo Desta wrote:
Yeah, that's a smart solution for SotF. Not sure how balanced it would be if you could get a settlement rolling under that thing.. but thematically I love the idea.

I haven't tested it yet, but hopefully the fact that you still have to go with the lowest result, would even things out. With innovations like Clan of Death, Bed and SotF itself adding to a newborns strength, it could go very fast though. Creating newborns that add +3 to every roll. But it takes a while to get to that point and getting that far with SotF probably deserves something of a reward .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.