Russian Railroads: German Railroads» Forums » Variants

Subject: mixing the player boards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Chris
Japan
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
After a recent game one of the players asked if it was possible to mix the Russian ans German player boards in a single game.

For example: Have 2 players use the Russian boards and two players use the German.

Have you attempted this? If so, what was the result?

Do you think the boards are balanced against each other, or would one easily beat the other? (Which one?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechris01 wrote:
After a recent game one of the players asked if it was possible to mix the Russian ans German player boards in a single game.

For example: Have 2 players use the Russian boards and two players use the German.

Have you attempted this? If so, what was the result?

Do you think the boards are balanced against each other, or would one easily beat the other? (Which one?)
Why would you do that in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not? I thought about asking this question. If some players prefer the German board and some the Russian... why not allow to choose the one they like best...

I think this is a relevant question. I haven't tried the German boards yet as I'm still quite enjoying the Russian ones, but it would be nice to be able to mix...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chris
Japan
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
One of the guy who was playing just asked if it would be possible to mix and match the boards. This wasn't covered in the rules, but I don't think it would break the game rules if we did that. Because the player boards never interact with each other, and both German and Russian use the same main game board in the same way. There should be no rule to stop both boards being played in the same game.

However, the real question is are the boards balanced against each other?

Assuming all players are of equal skill: Do you think people with the Russian board would win over the German players, or would the German players come out on top.

Or do you think the two boards are balanced against each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule wise it's absolutely fine to use them both. The only relevant question is the one you're asking: do the different boards hold up against one another.

Lets'e see if anybody tried it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As the GRR board are more "open" offering additional options, I think players playing GRR boards are favoured; same level of play assumed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question when I first bought German RR. But . . .
KlausKnechtskern wrote:
As the GRR board are more "open" offering additional options, I think players playing GRR boards are favoured; same level of play assumed

After playing German RR, based on the bonuses that are possible from the German board, I think an experienced player would dominate Russian boards. Still might be a good leveler for an experienced player against a newby. (then again maybe not, as there are so many more choices)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules-wise I don't feel it would break the game. It might even be better to give a Russian board to a new player, so that he won't have any decisions to take. Having a Russian board can provide a boon and a challenge.

- With a Russian board you pretty much have "secured" your bonuses. You know that you can get 3 bonus tokens, while on the German board it's possible to get only 2. You have the whole Kiev line at your disposal, while the Nürnberg track has to be assembled piece-by-piece to resemble the Kiev line.

- Nevertheless, you are not drafting out track extensions, possibly letting a player with a German board form a combo. It's possible to get 4 bonus tokens now; 1 on Dresden, 2 on Nürnberg, 1 on München. It's possible to activate the Nürnberg line doubler in conjunction with the Kiev Medal, earning at least 60 points per turn (edit: Kiev Medal is on the Dresden track). Not to mention the bonus industry token, the income markers or the coins for completing a track, which may be even more important than 10 points.

Therefore, when mixing the boards, it's essential that fewer track extensions should be used, as you are giving more options to the players with the German boards. Either randomize them or have the players with Russian boards remove some from the game, after setting up the game board, randomizing the Engineers and the Foundries, if applicable, and the initial player order.

Personally, I wouldn't try it. I actually think that explaining the German boards to a new player is easier. Just don't go into details when it comes to the track extensions. Just state "I will explain how you fill these spaces in when you reach them with your black track".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.