$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 114.7

7,005 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Someone is wrong on BGG! What do you do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahahahahahaha, I ran across that little cartoon on Facebook the other day where a guy is sitting at his computer desk presumably late at night and his wife tells him to come to bed, his reply is he can't because someone is wrong on the Internet. Too funny!

Lately I got to wondering about the same thing here, someone will post an opinion about a topic and it seems to me that a reply soon afterwards will be full of You're Wrong type of rhetoric. I "get" rational discussion about opposing thoughts and whatnot but I feel that some folks thrive on proving someone else wrong.

Is that what I'm doing here with this thread? Nope, you can oppose all you want because, like I said, it's my opinion/observation, I could totally be wrong.

Am I wrong!?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Am I wrong!?

Yes.


[Sorry]
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
In the final analysis, there is no good, no evil, no Uncle Mikey.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I feel that some folks thrive on proving someone else wrong.

Certainly - some people enjoy that some much they'll take the opposite view on something just so they can try to prove them wrong - like arguing the sky isn't blue or whatever.

I think fairly often on BGG people aren't so much trying to prove the other person wrong as get them to understand their point of view. For instance let say someone says they don't like Connect Four because it's solved. If they think that means it's not fun to play because someone can learn how to win every time then I might argue that they are wrong. If they realise that isn't the case but still have lost interest in playing it then I'm not bothered.

Another factor is that someone appears to be wrong and actually would be wrong if you took their statement literally - e.g. "Connect Four is rubbish, it's not a game, it's basically Tic Tac Toe". Maybe this person thinks that Connect Four & Tic Tac Toe are pretty much the same, maybe they just don't like it and don't realise it's a lots more complex than Tic Tac Toe, maybe they are a genius and the two games are actually pretty much equivalent. I'm guessing not the last one. If I just translate that as "I don't like Connect Four" then we're fine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
...


https://xkcd.com/386/

Quote:
What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Hahahahahahaha, I ran across that little cartoon on Facebook the other day where a guy is sitting at his computer desk presumably late at night and his wife tells him to come to bed, his reply is he can't because someone is wrong on the Internet. Too funny!

Lately I got to wondering about the same thing here, someone will post an opinion about a topic and it seems to me that a reply soon afterwards will be full of You're Wrong type of rhetoric. I "get" rational discussion about opposing thoughts and whatnot but I feel that some folks thrive on proving someone else wrong.

Is that what I'm doing here with this thread? Nope, you can oppose all you want because, like I said, it's my opinion/observation, I could totally be wrong.

Am I wrong!?


You nailed it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to cite the rules or FAQs. The references are important. I usually avoid RSP because of this.

If game related and they can't figure out the problem comments like "As I recall," or "Here's how we do it," etc.) are useless.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look away and seek calmer, more rational and uplifting reading in the political news.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible to only read opinions that mirror your own, there are plenty of echo chambers online.

If ya can't handle being corrected, then don't post. I've found there's always someone more knowledgeable than me on any given topic and I'm incredibly grateful that they would take time to teach me.

And then of course the most important reason for disagreement:

Popcorn. /mic drop
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly correct people as a public service. It's sheer altruism. I'm the Ghandi of BGG.
14 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people can't handle someone else having a different opinion. Some people just like to correct misinformstion. Many people can't tell the one from the other. The internet /forum format promotes long diatribe single-dump intersction over the short informstion gathering/understanding/agreement back and forth of fwce to face interaction.

Navigwting it all is a learned skill requiring more effort than some folks want to put in (or would gain benefit from lutting in)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
I mostly correct people as a public service. It's sheer altruism. I'm the Ghandi Gandhi of BGG.


There. Fixed that for you. Oops. I'm one of those people.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dirk
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
carterbeatsthedevil wrote:
In the final analysis, there is no good, no evil, no Uncle Mikey.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Dirk wrote:
carterbeatsthedevil wrote:
In the final analysis, there is no good, no evil, no Uncle Mikey.


Sick ref.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Theiss
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be wrong on this.

Bacon
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think the real question is can you shuffle one card?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
i think the real question is can you shuffle one card?


Yes you can. This was actually one of the few threads on BGG that ended with conclusive proof and unanimous agreement. whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people like to be right.

Some people want to be right AND have everyone else acknowledge that they are right.

From a practical stand point though. When I want to get an answer at work, sometime it is faster to just say the wrong thing. People are much more likely to respond, just to correct you.shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
Ah_Pook wrote:
i think the real question is can you shuffle one card?


Yes you can. This was actually one of the few threads on BGG that ended with conclusive proof and unanimous agreement. whistle
And here I thought I could get through this thread without feeling the need to correct someone wrong on the internet... sigh.


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdaly72 wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
I mostly correct people as a public service. It's sheer altruism. I'm the Ghandi Gandhi of BGG.


There. Fixed that for you. Oops. I'm one of those people.


But what if he was referring to Ghandi Kassenu, the Ghanaian footballer? What then?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best course of action when someone is wrong on BGG is to point out that they're wrong and how it makes them a terrible person, then wait for their reply and delete your own post.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody is Always wrong, and not just on BGG.

Well known fact...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The biggest problem with human communication, I think, is that everyone wants to think they're the smartest person in the room. If people would admit to themselves and others that in somethings they're smart and in most other things they're an idiot, that would resolve the fundamental tension in life." - Paraphrased from Scott Adams
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.