Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Before you start reading. This is another thread about Kickstarter.

I pledged a decent amount of money for and then a year or change later I got it and was underwhelmed. The game might be great but there are too many distractions such as bad art, terrible rule book, horrible insert, Etc.

Reviewers love this game, people who play it love this game but it's selling for less than I paid for it on Ebay and Amazon so I have two questions.

1. In the free market society that I live in, should I sell it now, or should I wait until more people hear about the game and risk selling it for either double the money or half the money? I've had it for a month but it was under hyped so I'm not sure.

2. Have you ever almost immediately opened a game that you bought. Said nahhh. Then sold or traded it at a loss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may never be in this kickstarter situation but I have found myself in similar situations through other buying practices. So yeah for your second question, I've been there and yes I traded it at a $ loss but I ended up with a game I wanted much more and I know for a fact it was the right choice.
To try to answer your first question I think I have to ask, how much time and effort are you willing to do? A math trade may be your best bet but besides that it may just take time in waiting for demand to outweigh supply and you probably need to know if that has a chance of happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about the lackluster game. Bummer.

Personally, I'd advise that you get rid of it now. You know there's some level of demand now...who knows what it will be like in the future. Bird in the hand and all that...

Yes, it's possible that it could go up in value. Heck, I have a friend who banks on that idea...he's a HUGE game & comic hoarder. He justifies it by showing me game/books/comics that have exploded in value since he's own them...however, he doesn't seem to remember the >100's< of other items he's bought that have tanked. I think the odds of it going up in value are much smaller than the odds of it going down. Also, if you're not that happy with it, chances are others feel the same, and the market may be flooded with others selling off as well.

Sell it now while it is still rather new and people are interested in it would be my course of action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Johnson
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. In the free market society that I live in, should I sell it now, or should I wait until more people hear about the game and risk selling it for either double the money or half the money? I've had it for a month but it was under hyped so I'm not sure.

sell it/trade it now.... holding on to it in hope that the value will increase is futile because in the majority of cases it will not.
Besides currently it is clogging up your shelves, remove it and replace it with something you will enjoy

2. Have you ever almost immediately opened a game that you bought. Said nahhh. Then sold or traded it at a loss?

Pax Porfiriana, bought Collectors edition it because it sounded interesting. Opened the box, was distinctly unimpressed by the components and the poor quality. Struggled through reading the rulebook, was completely apathetic and so traded/sold it immediatly, the cards were still shrink wrapped!

You always will sell/trade at a loss as as soon as you own something it becomes 2nd hand. People are not willing to pay new prices for 2nd hand goods, even if they are still like new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks yall! It's a large box. I wish I didn't throw away the box that it came in haha!

Anyways, we all know how much Kingdom of Death, Zombicide, and Scythe have gone for on the second market. I'm think I am planning on putting this game up for sale once I know how much it costs and most likely undercutting any listing by 5-10 dollars so I can have more money in that good ole Gen Con fund!

Haha.

The board game hobby is interesting. I bought a copy of Friday. Loved it. Then that 15 dollar game went out of print for a few months. I sold it for 70 bux on ebay, then bought it again a few months later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of kickstarters have ended like this for me. I knew going into it that there is a risks of the game not being great due it being published by an unknown entity but I did have a surprise if a game that was developed by a well know person and ended up being a bust. I sold it at a loss but thats the chance you take.

Now on the other hand, I had games that are great for the masses but not a fit for me. Kingdom Death Monster was one that comes to mind. I loved the idea when I pledged but It just wasn't going to work for me and my group so I sold it for a profit but not gouging, just basically for the cost of retail so someone could enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Nottingham
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
thanks yall! It's a large box. I wish I didn't throw away the box that it came in haha!

Curious what game you're talking about... 'cuz I recently ditched Journey, and that functionally describes the situation you mentioned. Great figures, people liked it, it just felt like a really boring and straightforward game with even less optimization required than Space Hulk to be successful. Luckily, a Coolstuffinc box I'd recently received when I ordered Star Trek Frontiers made this box hunt easily solvable, and I think it only cost me... 16 bucks or something? Not bad at all. Wasn't going cross-country, and only sold for 50 bucks, but hey, I reclaimed space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
nathairday wrote:

Years ago, yes. A lot. But I've learned lessons, and today I don't buy a game until I've had a chance to play it, and KNOW it's a game for me. Something no reviewer can give.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
For this type of situation, try to avoid the Sunk Cost Fallacy (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs).

You paid what you paid for the game. That money is gone. Now you have this game in your hands.

Would you prefer to have this game, or would you prefer to have however many dollars you can get by selling it now? The price you paid is irrelevant (although it doesn't feel irrelevant!).

If you don't enjoy the game at all, and you would enjoy the $25 or whatever you can get for it, then I recommend you sell it. The only situation where I would advise otherwise is if you enjoy not having the regret of getting less money than you paid for the game more than you enjoy the money. Sometimes people are willing to give up money in order to avoid feeling regret, and that may make them happier regardless of "rationality".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaosAndAlchemy wrote:
For this type of situation, try to avoid the Sunk Cost Fallacy (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs).

You paid what you paid for the game. That money is gone. Now you have this game in your hands.

Would you prefer to have this game, or would you prefer to have however many dollars you can get by selling it now? The price you paid is irrelevant (although it doesn't feel irrelevant!).

If you don't enjoy the game at all, and you would enjoy the $25 or whatever you can get for it, then I recommend you sell it. The only situation where I would advise otherwise is if you enjoy not having the regret of getting less money than you paid for the game more than you enjoy the money. Sometimes people are willing to give up money in order to avoid feeling regret, and that may make them happier regardless of "rationality".

There's wishful thinking and there's trying to guess the outcome of the market while not letting wishful thinking get in the way.

I have two NIS copies of a game I Kickstarted by a major designer. The problem is that they printed far more games than was initially stated in the KS. If I sell now I'm going to get maybe $15 per game before paying BGG and paypal fees. It's not worth it to me to sell now. $12 isn't going to make me happier. So I'm pushing them to a back shelf where they'll sit indefinitely. I make this decision based on the prestige and popularity of the designer and the fact that the game is not bad, I just don't want it. IMO the game's value will go back up.

YMMV. Make the decision based on your analysis of the game's potential worth later on, your patience in waiting, and ultimately whether it's worth it to you to wait. I know plenty of gamers who aren't going to care one iota over $50 "lost" if it meant selling now instead of 2 years from now. I'm not such a person so I hold on (occasionally) to games I think will be worth more later.

To be honest, most KS games are not going to go up in value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throw it into a math trade. Btw what was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further enclosing them with chicken wire?

Pete (battles his obsessions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Well, the only way it makes grammatical sense is if there is a person named "your" who spells his or her name entirely with lowercase letters. your loves enclosing previously enclosed stuff so so much that he or she has gained the nickname, "Recooping your."

Anyways, in a recent game, your lost. Hence the title, "Recooping your loses."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Nottingham
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Well, the only way it makes grammatical sense if there is a person named "your" who spells his or her name entirely with lowercase letters. your loves enclosing previously enclosed stuff so so much that he or she has gained the nickname, "Recooping your."

Here's .01gg for making me reanalyze the entire structure of the sentence. I quick-read your response at first, said "This is a bunch of nonsense," then read it more slowly and ... yep, all checks out. Now I want to name my future baby a random lowercase name just to wreck sentences they're involved in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ChaosAndAlchemy wrote:

Yeah I know the Sunk Cost fallacy and well... I'm terrible at processing it. I mean yeah I know I should not burn more money but I just burnt a pound of money so what's a few extra bills?

For those who are wondering the game is Defenders of the Last Stand. It was shipped a year and some change after I backed it. It is one of the first games that I backed, and I did so for 96 dollars. It's a really cool game but I didn't know what I was getting into with 8th summit games. Publish now - fix on second edition. I watched a video of Miami Dice with Tom Vassel and he liked the game but I feel like you have to be dedicated to the theme and feel of the game and overlook its many errors and have to go to BGG to figure out what cards mean. I respect the designer as he has been super helpful on the forms.

I can look over some bad graphic's and lower than average quality of component's because that is a small business issue. I just can't get into a game that feels like it hasn't been proof read, the rules aren't solid, and other misc errors exist that could have been solved with sweat equity.

If you want to trade or buy it let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
The game might be great but there are too many distractions such as bad art, terrible rule book, horrible insert, Etc.
It's hard to imagine that a game with so many problems is going to go up in value. Bad art and a bad rulebook are going to make it hard for new people to get into the game. Short of some reviewer with a lot of pull lauding the game to the moon and back, it's probably not going to get much good buzz.

I suppose if it were just an incredibly awesome game, it might overcome those problems. The people who put up with the bad art and struggle through the bad rulebook to find the incredible game underneath will keep singing the games praises and introducing it to new players. Eventually that might generate enough positive buzz for the game to "go mainstream" and become a hit. But very few games are incredible enough to overcome such obvious problems.

The real question is do you want to be a game speculator and take the associated risk. I might be happy just parting ways with the game and losing the difference between what I paid and what I could sell it for. I'd chalk it up to the cost of dabbling in kickstarters. If you're going to pay for something that hasn't been made yet, you risk getting something that doesn't live up to your expectations. If you try to be greedy and hold out hoping it goes up in value, you might end up getting next to nothing back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Well, the only way it makes grammatical sense is if there is a person named "your" who spells his or her name entirely with lowercase letters. your loves enclosing previously enclosed stuff so so much that he or she has gained the nickname, "Recooping your."

Are we supposed to capitalize names at the beginning of a sentence if they're normally uncapitalized?

Pete (has no idea)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Are we supposed to capitalize names at the beginning of a sentence if they're normally uncapitalized?

Pete (has no idea)

Lol I just noticed the error!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Nottingham
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:

If you want to trade or buy it let me know

GM sent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Pete (has no idea)

Yes, I'm pretty sure you are supposed to.

Greg (claims artistic liberty)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Pete (has no idea)

Lol I just noticed the error!
Which one? That it should be "recouping" or that it should be "loss"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If thousands of dollars were at stake and the chances for a high selling price were very good, then I'd wait for it to go up. But it's under $100 and you'll just get even or recoup 15 or 20 in the best case scenario (and wait how many months for that?). And being a kickstarter game, it's more likely that it will lose popularity and sell for an even lower price as time passes.

See for how much you can sell it right now and do it, then look for a very good game that you actually want and costs exactly that amount.

Rationalize it as "I got rid of an underwhelming game in exchange for a really good one" and you´ll feel you won in the end. Don't see it as "I'll lose 15 dollars on reselling an underwhelming game so I better keep it collecting dust" because that's actually the losing scenario.

You already lost 95 on a product that didn't satisfy you and that you cannot return. It's done. Getting anything back for it should be considered a win from a rational standpoint. Funny how the mind tricks you sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
If thousands of dollars were at stake and the chances were good for a good selling price, then I'd wait for it to go up.
I don't understand this logic. You're willing to risk $2,000 dollars, but not $100? Sure, the payoff is better if you recoup 20% of your $2,000 than 20% of your $100, but the amount you could lose is also much greater.

I'd be a lot more likely to risk the $100 as I could afford to throw that much down the drain without feeling too much pain... it's just the same amount as a nice meal out for my wife and I. But losing $2,000 would sting a fair bit more.

As a related question, which bet would you be quicker to accept? Assume the odds are about 70% in your favor no matter which bet you make.

Betting $1, with a possible payoff of $0.20.
Betting $100, with a possible payoff of $20.
Betting $1,000 with a possible payoff of $200.
Betting $10,000 with a possible payoff of $2,000
Betting $100,000 with a possible payoff of $20,000.

I'd wager that as the amount you risk goes up, you'd be less and less likely to take a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IF the chances were very good, recouping an extra 20% over thousands of dollars would probably be worth both the the wait and the small risk... but in this case we know the chances are not good based on the prices of other kickstarter games, and after months of waiting the gain would amount just to a couple of extra coffees at best.

Given equally bad chances, it'd be just as bad wating on reselling a very expensive item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
IF the chances were very good, recouping 20% over thousands of dollars would probably be worth both the the wait and the small risk...
If the chances are that good then you'd probably be more willing to risk $100 bucks than you would to risk thousands of dollars. I don't see a scenario here where it makes sense to risk thousands of dollars but not a hundred dollars. If you're comfortable with possibly losing a lot of money to make a 20% return, then why wouldn't you be even more comfortable risking less money to make a 20% return.

mearendil wrote:
and after months of waiting the gain would amount just to a couple of extra coffees at best.
But if you lose, you only lose a few weeks worth of coffees. If you lose "thousands of dollars" you lose a years' worth of coffees? More?

Sure... you don't gain very much wagering $100 bucks worth of games, but while the gain isn't very attractive, the loss isn't very scary either. That bigger return you're coveting is the same rate of return... it only looks juicier because you're putting more on the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.