Subject: Questions about lace. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question to people with more plays in: Is lace a viable heavy strategy? I managed 2nd place in our game with it, but thst was with supreme optimization and almost no competition. Comparatively the winner was fishing focused, and even with competition did excellently. The 2 cube tax (one to pay for making the worker score and the other denied because your worker has to be on the board) was brutal. I started winter with 7 cubes in my pyramid, even with spamming prestige for cubes and the -1 cube in lace building from season 1.

I suppose I'm not saying it isn't viable, I scored 167pts total, but it seems to require a lot more brain+luck than cruising the outside for 4pt majorities, 9pt roof tiles, and lots of fish.

Is there something I am missing? (Likely)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Shadrix
United States
Athens
GA - Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh-

I've been thinking about this too. Earlier today, I was wondering the benefits of the strategy. I could not figure out the benefits of the strategy. The cube tax is tough and you're not fishing. Why would I want to do this.

I decided to pursue this strategy tonight and was victorious in a two player game. Here are the two benefits of the strategy:

1. You get a coin here and a coin there. Which in this game is a huge deal.

2. You have limited cubes for building your pyramid which provides extra flexibility.

It seems like the designers had to put the cube tax in the game for a reason. Perhaps lace used to be too strong.

Let me know what you think?

Bradley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mount Eerie wrote:
Josh-

I've been thinking about this too. Earlier today, I was wondering the benefits of the strategy. I could not figure out the benefits of the strategy. The cube tax is tough and you're not fishing. Why would I want to do this.

I decided to pursue this strategy tonight and was victorious in a two player game. Here are the two benefits of the strategy:

1. You get a coin here and a coin there. Which in this game is a huge deal.

2. You have limited cubes for building your pyramid which provides extra flexibility.

It seems like the designers had to put the cube tax in the game for a reason. Perhaps lace used to be too strong.

Let me know what you think?

Bradley

I think 2p is vastly different from 4p

In a larger game I think it might be good to dig yourself into 3 of the lace workshops early if you can to give you maximum bonus for those roof tiles, but go no further. Mix it uo with fishing then if the opportunity presents itself go heavy lace in fall or winter where the cube tax won't be as crippling (since you only have to push through winter with reduced cubes)

A lot depends on what others do of course. But I do believe early 'all in' lace can be crippling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Shadrix
United States
Athens
GA - Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think lace is supposed to be just a viable as fishing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in the same way. It is a lot easier to strip someone off an island with fishing, it is hadder to boot someone from the lace. So it is probably less beneficial to go all in lace, at least early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.