Polis: Fight for the Hegemony» Forums » General

Subject: Is Scythe similar to Polis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ynaca eco licario
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing Polis a lot, and I'm interested in Scythe because what I have seen in the videos have remind me certain aspects of Polis.
Can anybody who has actually played both tell me if Scythe is really the same kind of game which would enjoy someone who loves Polis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry to have to tell you they are nothing alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I have played both and enjoy both, but the two games are completely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ynaca eco licario
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, Thank you for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played two games of Polis this weekend and one of Scythe last week. I was not struck but any glaring parallels but upon reflection I will note some areas where there may be similarities...and differences.

They are similar in this manner:

-I enjoyed all three games (it helped that my opponents were great people to spend time with).
-You need to gather resources else you will founder as your opponents(s) best you.
-War is just one option of many courses of action.
-You win with victory points. In Polis you add population cubes to prestige points; in Scythe there is a point salad of VP's.
-While you can play most of the game without fighting battles, a good player will know when it is advantageous to start a battle, when it is advantageous to spend your effort on more productive pursuits and when it is more advantageous to just let the opponent win the battle thus avoiding a waste of resources.
-Like Maria and Friedrich, this tactical option of avoiding battles rather than duking it out in a lost cause makes both games brilliant in design.

Where they differ:

-Polis is 2 player, Scythe accommodates 2-5.
-Sythe is an alternate history game; Polis brilliantly and accurately captures the historic struggle between Athens and Sparta without getting bogged down in too much detail (aka...rules).
-As noted above, a prudent retreat in Polis can win you the game, in Scythe it may merely preserve your resources for better use.
-It is VERY much more the case in Polis over Scythe that a player needs to recognize when a retreat is prudent.

Of the two I thought Polis the better brilliant game.
Nevertheless, I am glad to play Scythe anytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ynaca eco licario
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The 'cold war' factor was one that I realized was very similar.
Thank you for all yours explanations. Now I'm more convinced that probably both have different things to offer and there isn't overlappin' between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
The closest thing to Scythe is Terra Mystica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.