Subject: Is it possible to win this game before the Ancient One awakens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Takacs

San Clemente
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes 3 turns to close a gate (normally).

Turn 1: move to a gate; travel to Other World; Other World Encounter

Turn 2: move to 2nd side of the Other World; Other World Encounter

Turn 3: move to Arkham, close the gate

During these 3 Turns, 3 new gates have appeared! Yes there are a few Other World Encounter cards that send you home early, but is this enough to close all the gates and win? Especially if it takes longer than 3 turns to close a gate.

Playing 3 Players there is no time to do anything else; such as obtain clues, spells, possessions etc. in Arkham. Maybe with more Players winning is possible?

Have I missed something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bradford
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Offhand I'd say that you're missing additional Investigators. Trying to keep up with anything less than four-to-six total investigators (two or three apiece for a two player game/two apiece for a three player game) can be quite... difficult.

But nobody (who knows what they're talking about) has ever said Arkham Horror was 'easy'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is.

You must consider that gates have a limited space to open - only in unstable locations. So yes, in the first two, three, four rounds, gates will open constantly, but once they are there, monsters surges (a gate opening where there is already an open gate) will start to happen. Then, once seals started to be put in place, gates will be blocked from opening.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to seal the gates, not just close them. When you seal a gate, it cannot reopen there (unless you use the expansions that allow for the occasional reopening of sealed gates).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might be missing something. A gate does not open every turn. Only when there is an empty spot to play it on. As others have noted above sealing gates makes it so you can have multiple turns without opening. Another thing this helps with the Doom token typically only go on the GOO when a gate opens. Often people think the number of doom tokens on the GOO is the number of turns you have, but if you play it right you have a lot more turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the unstable locations at which gates open are not evenly distributed in the Mythos decks. So you should focus sealing (which usually requires 5 clue tokens, IIRC) on the more prominent locations. Note that if you are playing with expansions, that distribution may change. Some expansions introduce Gate Bursts, which undo seals, so this will alter your sealing and closing strategy significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not playable as 1 investigator and the base game is barely playable with 2. The solution is to play with more investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I love The title of your thread!

Yes you can win this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Takacs

San Clemente
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for confirming my suspicions and for your suggestions.

I will try a house rule for our next 3-Player game: upon arrival to the Other World, make a Will check -- if pass -> move directly to the 2nd Other World location. Thus it could take only 2+ turns to close a gate rather than 3+ turns.

Rather than lengthen an already long game by adding extra investigators, this simple solution may be the answer to a playable, winnable but yet challenging game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's some confusion in the replies... the OP said he plays with 3 investigators and several replies suggest that its hard to win with 1/2 investigators (which is true), but I win with 3 investigators all the time.

Jerry got it right and I think it bears repeating: A gate does not open every turn. You will typically start the first few rounds getting lots of gates and then you end up with monster surges. So with 3 investigators, you can have 1 gate closer, 1 monster hunter and 1 errand-person who gather clues/money/shops. And if you seal some of the 'hot' gate locations first, then the mythos cards do nothing when they trigger there and you start to enter the 'cleaning house' phase where you keep that GOO all nice and sleepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cim Fisher
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
S Lee T wrote:
Thank you for confirming my suspicions and for your suggestions.

I will try a house rule for our next 3-Player game: upon arrival to the Other World, make a Will check -- if pass -> move directly to the 2nd Other World location. Thus it could take only 2+ turns to close a gate rather than 3+ turns.

Rather than lengthen an already long game by adding extra investigators, this simple solution may be the answer to a playable, winnable but yet challenging game.

This is a very bad idea. You'll greatly reduce any challenge that comes with the Other World. Part of the challenge comes from choosing when is a good time to enter an Other World and which one to enter, as they themselves have varying difficulty. By potentially skipping a whole turn in that Other World, the risk is less risky. This is especially true for any investigator that has a high Will (as per your suggestion).

I've played Arkham Horror tons of times and the majority of them were with 3 players. We won plenty of those times without that the Ancient One waking up (and moreso with just the base game). It's very winnable. Perhaps your problems occur at the time management level. If you know it's going to take you three turns to finish an Other World, be prepared for it. Communicate with the other two players so that while you're out of Arkham, things don't get out of hand.

While AH isn't a perfect game, and there are things about it that could be changed for a better overall experience, making it easier isn't one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is "balanced" (that is, it's very hard but not impossible, and you can expect to win about half of the times) with 4 and 8 investigators.

It becomes progressively harder with few investigators: it's harder with 7, a lot harder with 3 and 6, even harder with 5, nearly impossible with 2, completely insane with 1.

We always play as 2 players / 4 investigators, that means we play 2 investigators each - this makes for a hard game, but not at all impossible, while still enjoying some "narrative" encounter.

The difficulty of this game is what makes it fascinating: you're not playing an Indiana Jones adventure against Cthulhoid enemies (think about Eldritch Horror), you're playing a Lovecraftian tale in which the chance of surviving while keeping your sanity is very slim. I don't know the precise percentage of survival in Lovecraft's tales (it could be a fun spreadsheet to compile), but they're not definitely part of the "heroic victory against seemingly impossible odds" trend. Main characters, when they exist at all (that is, you don't have a very big menace against humanity with no one facing it), generally die; when they don't, they become insane; sometimes they become insane and then they die (or vice versa ); very, very rarely they "win", but you're not sure it's the right word, because it's not the words of a winner you're reading, but the gibberish of a survivor.

Now, being royalty-free, you can find A LOT of games and books and movies with a "Lovecraftian" theme that have nothing to do with HPL, thematically or otherwise. Arkham Horror is one of the few games who respect Lovecraft's style (if you close an eye on the ethnicity of some of the investigators, because you know, HPL was a bastard racist who thought nearly anyone who was not white, anglosaxon and teetotal was not only doomed, but an agent of doom himself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much as others have said, you should not have a new Gate opening every turn.

1) If a Gate opens on a location that already has a Gate, you get a Monster Surge instead and no Doom token is added to the Ancient One.

2) Seal Gates whenever possible. When a Gate opens on a location with a Seal, nothing happens. No Gate, no Monster Surge, no Doom token.

3) Not all unstable locations are equally likely to have Gates opening on them. If you decided to close a Gate without Sealing it, try to do it on one of the less frequently hit locations.

4) Don't rush to close Gates. It is often preferable to leave a Gate open on a commonly hit location than closing it without Sealing. With only 3 Investigators you can have up to 6 Gates open simultaneously without awakening the AO. Spend more time gathering Clue tokens instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Takacs

San Clemente
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our family gathers once or twice a month. We always play board games when we meet. Two weeks ago we played Eldritch Horror for the first time. We won. Our experience was just OK. We played Arkham Horror yesterday for the first time. I thought that Eldritch Horror would be good training for AH. It was. I suggested that we concentrate on gate closing, not sealing and ignored monsters, shopping, clues as much as possible. Thus after a couple hours 7 gates opened and we were not prepared to fight the AO.

We were overwhelmed, which led me to start this thread. I'm glad I asked. We will play AH again soon, I hope and use the suggestions that you have provided. We lost the game but had fun with our hopeless struggle. Perhaps more fun next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sealing gates would be your best road to victory with a lower number of players. You don't have to have EVERY gate sealed for this victory, you just have to SEAL 6 gates... As soon as the sixth gate is sealed, you win. The only thing to remember is that you can NEVER allow seven gates to open or the AOO will awaken. 1 character can control the monsters while the other two cooperate on gaining clues and controlling/sealing gates.

Having only 3 characters means that you will have a 6 monster limit and a 5 monster outskirt limit. This means a fast-rising terror level if they are NOT kept in check.

While it seems that I am oversimplifying things, the strategy is VERY simple.
1. Don't fight unless you have too.
2. Have one buffed up fighter for when you have too.
3. Spend most of the time looking for clues or purchasing Elder Signs when you have the cash.
4. This game can read your mind!!! You may THINK you are playing AH. The truth is, the game is playing YOU! I cannot count the number of times the Mythos draw has fouled up a clear path and perfect plan. You are playing to defeat Ancient beings of total evil or extreme corruption. You were never MEANT to feel able to defeat them. This is what makes the few times you CAN defeat them so sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
S Lee T wrote:
I suggested that we concentrate on gate closing, not sealing and ignored monsters, shopping, clues as much as possible. Thus after a couple hours 7 gates opened and we were not prepared to fight the AO.

Actually, a better title for this thread would have been "Is it possible to win by closing all gates before the AO awakens?"

That is a lot less clear cut. Yes, in theory. I have heard stories of it. But I have never had it happen in any of my games.

You would definitely need several key Seals in place first in order to prevent exactly what you describe: A new Gate opening every turn adding a additional Doom token to the AO. And even then, you would need the Mythos deck to cooperate and hit mainly your Sealed locations when you go for the win.

It is a highly circumstantial win condition. A tactical opportunity that presents itself once in a blue moon and not something I would base a strategy on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can cope with some minor spoilers, take a look at this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/439650/table-statsprobabili...
Brian has dertermined the probability of gates opening and clues appearing in certain places. Very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never won by having no open gates (I've come very close!).

I have won by sealing 6 gates (and this is easier with the Curse of the Pharoah's expansion, which adds some more Elder Signs).

Even if you are trying to win by having no open gates, you will need to seal some of them, and you should try to seal those in locations that spawn a lot of gates (eg The Woods).

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
We have won by having no open gates, but it was just once in... well a lot of games.

We had a lucky streak of gates opening on independence which was sealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mb
cafin8d wrote:
I think there's some confusion in the replies... the OP said he plays with 3 investigators and several replies suggest that its hard to win with 1/2 investigators (which is true), but I win with 3 investigators all the time.

Jerry got it right and I think it bears repeating: A gate does not open every turn. You will typically start the first few rounds getting lots of gates and then you end up with monster surges. So with 3 investigators, you can have 1 gate closer, 1 monster hunter and 1 errand-person who gather clues/money/shops. And if you seal some of the 'hot' gate locations first, then the mythos cards do nothing when they trigger there and you start to enter the 'cleaning house' phase where you keep that GOO all nice and sleepy.
Acoording to statistic https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v_y5tJMBalbjUg5i2kbm... overall win rate with 3 invetsigators is nearly 60% (32% of them is wins by seals). In my opinion thats enough and 3 players game didn't require any house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
S Lee T wrote:
Our family gathers once or twice a month. We always play board games when we meet. Two weeks ago we played Eldritch Horror for the first time. We won. Our experience was just OK. We played Arkham Horror yesterday for the first time. I thought that Eldritch Horror would be good training for AH. It was. I suggested that we concentrate on gate closing, not sealing and ignored monsters, shopping, clues as much as possible. Thus after a couple hours 7 gates opened and we were not prepared to fight the AO.

We were overwhelmed, which led me to start this thread. I'm glad I asked. We will play AH again soon, I hope and use the suggestions that you have provided. We lost the game but had fun with our hopeless struggle. Perhaps more fun next time!
Eldritch Horror is not good prep for AH! Thematically they are in the same Family and there's some similarity in mechanisms, but you have to play them very differently if you want to win. EH is about controlling Gates to avoid the advancement of Doom, while progressing the Active Mystery; AH is about Sealing Gates (you could add "controlling Monster numbers", but they aren't the game ending trigger that Gates are in EH).

If you treat Sealing Gates as a single, monolithic Mystery analogue you won't go far wrong.

Furthermore, Clues are a far more valuable resource in AH than in EH. Generally speaking you should completely avoid spending Clues on rerolls in AH - unless failing the test will directly and immediately prevent you from Sealing a Gate. In EH you can often safely spend Clues because Mysteries typically only use Clues that are generated and spent immediately, so that any that you have on hand can be used for rerolls. A huge difference is that Clues cannot be traded in AH and that makes Clue management/distribution even more significant than in EH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quicker ways to close a Gate. That's why the "Find Gate" spell is the most important one in the deck. And each Sealed Gate is worth its weight in gold cause it buys you several extra turns. It's very difficult with only 3 Investigators so you may want to "house rule" it somehow.

The simplest House-Rule I've found is to "stabilize" 1-2 of the least active Locations- ie no Gates can appear there from Mythos cards (you can still get unlucky in an encounter) That usually buys enough extra time for 3 players to have a fair chance.

The absolute simplest way to lower the difficulty level is to start with one Elder Sign on the board on an Unstable location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:

The absolute simplest way to lower the difficulty level is to start with one Elder Sign on the board on an Unstable location.

But this won't help a one-player game.

I think the absolute simplest way to fix a 1/2p game is to draw a Mythos card only every 4/2 turns. Treat monster/outskirts/gate limits like it's a 4p game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a mission that makes a closing victory probable, but yes, outside of some effect
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(the science building has one of those IIRC)
that magically closes all gates its a very unlikely condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:

I think the absolute simplest way to fix a 1/2p game is to draw a Mythos card only every 4/2 turns. Treat monster/outskirts/gate limits like it's a 4p game.

Dunno, IMHO 2 player (base) games work just fine as is. Only with expansions it becomes unwinable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.