Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, let me disclose that the first time I saw a friend with customized game pieces I IMMEDIATELY made fun of him. He is a good friend and took it as it was intended, a buddy mocking something different and geeky.

Stage 2 was, once learning the cost of said customizations, head scratching and why/how could someone throw away their money for new/different game pieces that accomplish nothing to change the came i.e. the gameplay and rules are the same.

Stage 3 was, realizing that I needed a much better way to box up Eclipse. The stock box was just too much of a PITA so off I went to Broken Token and a couple other sites to get a better box and organizational parts to make the game faster to set-up and easier to play.

Stage 4 was, seeing some cute/funny meeples that my GF would think are fun to play with instead of the stock set.

Stage 5 was, realizing that every game that had a Broken Token box upgrade now REQUIRED this upgrade.

Stage 6 was, beginning to put my personal touch on my favorite games with custom pieces and meeples.

Stage 7 was, WIDENING my "favorite" games. A lot.

Stage 8 was, seeking more and new ideas to customize and upgrade most games that I play.

Stage 9 was, embarrassingly, buying a game or two because of the "coolness" (ironic, no?) of the upgrade pieces available.

Stage 10, recognizing this addiction

Stage 11, creating this thread as a call for help!

On a serious note, I am curious, who has actually spent as much or more on upgrade parts / boxes for a game than they did for the original game itself? I am not talking about expansions that simply had rules and / or scenarios to a game but true replacement pieces as upgrades.

Without taking careful count I would say that I have done this (spent more on upgrades) at least 4 or 5 times with dozens of other games that have significant upgrades as well. Am I a minority or does this afflict a lot of others too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
I have spent lots of time upgrading my games but not so much money. I fabricate my own extra bits but if I had the money yeah I'd spend a pretty penny. Totally non-necessary but oh so fun custom stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sunshiny wrote:
I have spent lots of time upgrading my games but not so much money. I fabricate my own extra bits but if I had the money yeah I'd spend a pretty penny. Totally non-necessary but oh so fun custom stuff.

Great point! I actually bought a 3D printer to make custom pieces, starting with Food Chain Magnate, but had platfor issues and haven;t used it yet.

RIght now it is an expensive paper weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balance the cost in terms of time, effort and money with how much reward you expect to get out of upgrading a game. If you play the game every week, then it might make sense to upgrade it a fair bit. If you only get it to the table once a year, then the upgrade probably isn't worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to have my miniatures painted and luckily I know a guy in my town that does them (well) for a flat rate.

Aside from that I've thought about purchasing a Chinese copy of wiz-war just for the Chinese box. Or even having someone make a wooden box/chest to hold the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
A 3d printer is totally on my wishlist. Unfortunately I'm sure that's where it'll stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Great point! I actually bought a 3D printer to make custom pieces, starting with Food Chain Magnate, but had platfor issues and haven;t used it yet.

ok, total stab in the dark but I'm gonna seem really cool if im right...
hair spray
cool

Personally I've embraced customizing my games as a project that is currently cheap and I can do in the small space that I have. So far its been things like making carcassonne expansion folder box thingies out of packing tape. So cheap, very hands on, and greatly rewarding. I will soon be stepping up as I bought a foam cutter and intend to make my own foam inserts as soon as a get a full evening free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

ok, total stab in the dark but I'm gonna seem really cool if im right...
hair spray
cool

hair spray?

My platform came warped, apparently, from the manufacturer. THey sent a replacement but I have been to busy and/or lazy to replace it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
My platform came warped, apparently, from the manufacturer. THey sent a replacement but I have been to busy and/or lazy to replace it yet.

eesh. Is it just the glass top or is it even worse than that?
if its just the glass you could try getting something of similar size. My friend buys just some moderately decent glass from menards thats close to his bed size and uses that plus hair spray has given him better and more reliable results than whatever glass bed he got with it and using their official sticky stuff or tape. He does have to replace the glass after 10 or so medium size prints as it cracks after a few prints but he still feels like its a better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:

I've wanted one to make various little card-stack-holders and such. I saw a lovely little one someone made for the Armada damage deck somewhere.

Stacks of cards all over the table is a pet-peeve of mine and I'd love to have some holders for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On some games I have spent more on the sleeves for the cards than on the actual game itself.

Otherwise I have only dabbled into this. Plastic tokens to replace the cardboard chits in Zombicide? Yes, please!

My goofiest is the Squinkies (little rubber minis made for little kids) that I bought. They made a Disney's Cars set, so I dropped five dollars on some clearance Cars to use in Formula D. They are about the right size, and it is cool to see Lightning McQueen, Mater, Luigi, etc. tear around the board. Also brings kids to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

eesh. Is it just the glass top or is it even worse than that?
if its just the glass you could try getting something of similar size. My friend buys just some moderately decent glass from menards thats close to his bed size and uses that plus hair spray has given him better and more reliable results than whatever glass bed he got with it and using their official sticky stuff or tape. He does have to replace the glass after 10 or so medium size prints as it cracks after a few prints but he still feels like its a better choice.

The glass top they told me. But that was after replacing the head unit and other troubshooting. It was all that was left to replace or address!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benevolentweasl wrote:
On some games I have spent more on the sleeves for the cards than on the actual game itself.

Otherwise I have only dabbled into this. Plastic tokens to replace the cardboard chits in Zombicide? Yes, please!

My goofiest is the Squinkies (little rubber minis made for little kids) that I bought. They made a Disney's Cars set, so I dropped five dollars on some clearance Cars to use in Formula D. They are about the right size, and it is cool to see Lightning McQueen, Mater, Luigi, etc. tear around the board. Also brings kids to the table.

I am a SUCKER for metal coins. ...and Broken Token box organizers....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, I forgot my biggest weakness: Neoprene (mousepad material) playmats!

Machi Koro's - totally unnecessary and useless with the expansions? Sold!

At least two needed for me and another person for Dice Masters... Better get three, because I can't play DC heroes on a Marvel mat!

At least two for Pokemon

One for every series of Weiss Schwarz (I have at least a dozen for this CCG)

Big 5 player mat for Sentinels of the Multiverse (this one is just so-so, it is vinyl and not nearly as nice)

Plus more for different miniature gaming terrain.

I LOVE neoprene!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just use what comes with the game. Upgrades do nothing for me or the game play. However I have spent a fair amount of money on card sleeves in the past to protect cards but that is it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benevolentweasl wrote:
Ooh, I forgot my biggest weakness: Neoprene (mousepad material) playmats!

I LOVE neoprene!

You should get into Scuba Diving!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigb0420 wrote:
I just use what comes with the game. Upgrades do nothing for me or the game play. However I have spent a fair amount of money on card sleeves in the past to protect cards but that is it.

I thought that too... until I played a pimped out Agricola. Seemed like so much more fun. Simple, I know but no less true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid Agricola's price in upgrades. Totally worth it, really enhances the game experience. I bought some Eclipse upgrades, not quite as worth it as I haven't been playing that a lot. I've bought a few sorting trays. The most useful is Castles of Mad King Ludwig as we play that a fair bit.

All in all, upgrades worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Bigb0420 wrote:

I thought that too... until I played a pimped out Agricola. Seemed like so much more fun. Simple, I know but no less true.

Funny. I posted mine before I saw yours. I agree, of course. Pimped Agricola is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being someone with a strong history in miniatures games and being heavily into the painting etc pimping out or customising your favourite games seems a pretty natural thing to me.

Just have a look at some of the amazing jobs people have done for the various games on BGG and the why? Becomes very obvious.

Given all the conversations about art and theme it's clear a lot of people respond to the physical look of games. Where the customisation has no negative effect on the playability of the game, where people can afford the time and money cost to pimp out a game why wouldn't you?

The only reason I don't have more customisation for my games is time constraints (I'd prefer to be playing with my available time).

I love me some pimped out games though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:

Where the customisation has no negative effect on the playability of the game, where people can afford the time and money cost to pimp out a game why wouldn't you?

I initially rejected the idea because I thought it was a waste of money. All of the pieces I needed to play were already there. Then I realized that playing other people's customized games was more fun then playing my own stock version and thus it became fun to put my own signature on some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Stage 2 was, once learning the cost of said customizations, head scratching and why/how could someone throw away their money for new/different game pieces that accomplish nothing to change the came i.e. the gameplay and rules are the same.
For some folks it's about quality over quantity, and spending time with a beloved game over more games.

saturnkk wrote:
Stage 3 was, realizing that I needed a much better way to box up Eclipse. The stock box was just too much of a PITA so off I went to Broken Token and a couple other sites to get a better box and organizational parts to make the game faster to set-up and easier to play.
I've seen folks spring for the "cube holder tray" that's made out of laser cut acrylic (IIRC). Works fantastically, but at $15 a pop, it ain't for everyone. $90 for all 6 players, and $150 for the 10p variant wowwow That's more than the game itself!

Some folks ended up getting some rigid, plastic, "wireframe" thing that isn't as good (cubes don't fit right, they're cocked), but at only $6 to $7 per... that's more $$ in the bank!

saturnkk wrote:
On a serious note, I am curious, who has actually spent as much or more on upgrade parts / boxes for a game than they did for the original game itself? I am not talking about expansions that simply had rules and / or scenarios to a game but true replacement pieces as upgrades.
The cube trays for Eclipse mentioned above is the best example I've seen in others. While I've spent real $$ on upgrades, never more than the game itself. Extra pawns of matching colors so players can tell what color another player is (e.g. p1 is turquoise due to the reminder in front of him), card sleeves, better current player markers, etc.

saturnkk wrote:
Without taking careful count I would say that I have done this (spent more on upgrades) at least 4 or 5 times with dozens of other games that have significant upgrades as well. Am I a minority or does this afflict a lot of others too?
AFAIK, you're in the minority, although hardly alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Warhammer and Necromunda Games like these have lots of customable parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only you, the individual, can decide how much is too much.

Remember, most people on this site aren't just people who play games, they're "gamers"...and moreover boardgamegeeks.

This is a hobby. It doesn't matter if you spend 200 on that rare game, or pay 60 bucks to "pimp" your game. If it brings you joy, thats its.

That's the point of a hobby. And each individual (or his/her spouse) gets to decide how much they get to put into it.

Its no different than people who fly RC airplanes and pimp out their "tackle box"...or scuba divers who collect all of the toys, bells and whistles they don't need, but want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Federal Way
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I've spent more than the game is Lords of Waterdeep. I initially bought the game, the expansion and the mini-meeples to replace the cubes. Then I bought the Broken Token insert, and finally I have upgraded the coins to metal ones. It is glorious.

I also wrote a blog article on the subject!

Cast Iron Games - Bling that Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.