Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asif Kazmi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"You may gain a 1, 2, and 3 cost card from the Line-Up and put them into your hand. If you choose not to, +3 Power. First Appearance - Attack: Each player puts a card with cost 1, 2, or 3 they control or in their hand into the Line-Up. If you cannot, gain a Weakness."

Regarding the first appearance attack: do I have to put a card in the lineup if I have a 1-3 cost one in my hand? What if I don't mind taking a weakness or would even prefer to have one with a card like Bizarro ("+3 Power. At the end of the game, this card is worth 2 VPs for each Weakness in your deck.") in my deck.

If I do have to, why does the attack not say reveal hand? Someone could easily avoid that by saying they don't have a 1-3 cost card, then just take a Weakness. Most games with mandatory hand effects like this force a reveal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS Bragg
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you cannot is the key text here. If you can you have to do the first part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asif Kazmi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I ask because compare Cheshire to the Anti-Monitor:

"+2 Power. Destroy any number of cards in the Line-Up, then replace them. FIRST APPEARANCE -- ATTACK: Each player reveals his hand, chooses a card with cost 1 or greater from it, and adds that card to the Line-Up."

That card specifically asks you to reveal your hand to avoid any contention about whether you have a qualifying card or not. Cheshire does not say this, so it makes me wonder if the intention of the designer was "does not" instead of "cannot" in Cheshire's last sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start by pointing out that Blackfire, Brother Blood, Clock King, and Harvest (all TT set) also have similar effects/attacks, and lack any "reveal" text.
Of course, they also lack the "if not > Weakness" part.

The Weakness part is not optional, you must do the 'put into line-up' if able (or avoid the attack altogether).

As for the lack of 'reveal hand', I don't know why they left it off, but this game has quite a bit of 'open information', and exceedingly few ways to 'sneak' a card out of your hand without someone being able to tell what it was.
What this really comes down to is trust/being a good sport. Presumably, you should be able to trust everyone in the game not to cheat.
Since you'll (eventually) know exactly what someone had in their hand, if you catch them with a 'valid card' but they claimed they didn't have one, then you know they are on the shifty side and know not to trust them in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asif Kazmi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, I agree that it is in keeping with the theme of those other TT cards you mention, they also don't say reveal hand. It was just different from the base set in it's wording, so I was confused(I just bought TT and only had the base set prior).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reveal was removed from attacks to save space. We're assuming the friends you're playing the game with aren't cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.