Hide
5 Posts

Superhero Solitaire» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Picture and Report from First PnP Plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Rugolo
msg tools
I was really excited to get a chance to give the Superhero Solitaire PnP its first few plays today. I don't normally take pictures, but I took a pic of the set-up, mostly to help with one of the KS goals:

So I managed to get two plays in about 30 minutes. I lost both, but they were really good learning experiences. The first thing I noticed is how the game feels incredibly familiar, but novel at the same time. In the first game, I messed up a few rules that would probably have cost me the game even sooner. It turns out that reading the rules CAREFULLY was the solution to that particular problem.

(Specifically, I missed the part that says that if you're called on to place a timer on a card that doesn't exist, you resolve an explosion. I thought I got off easy on the first set-up.)

Additionally, in the first play, I revealed a few of Tekton's power cards and was scratching my head trying to think of why I would even want to activate it. As I got deeper into the game, I started to see the strategy of it and probably could have won at least the second game if I had been thinking more strategically.

The highlight of the session occurred towards the end of my second game: I was doing a great job building up all four bases when I flipped a "Blowback" (Set a Timer (1) on each base with a card). So I set four of the five tokens on the four bases. I realize I'm in big trouble if I get to the next draw phase, especially as I have no Tekton tokens on the shield side. I have no cards to move to the bases to defuse the bombs, but I'm making moves on the board when I flip Fractal Shield which allows me to recover all five shield tokens.

Then the worst case scenario happens: I flip Cherry's other Blowback. She only has one Bomb token in her supply, so I reveal it 4 times (one for each base that already has a timer). Luckily it's the "1" token, so she only gains four tokens. Unfortunately, she had so much of the general supply of tokens that I had to use 4 shields when her 4 timers expired during the next draw phase. With that I headed into the last round. I had a lot of moves and only three cards left in any reserves. Unfortunately one of those cards was the 2 of hearts and I just couldn't make it happen. I didn't bother to do the final scoring, but I know I lost by a lot.

All in all, I think this is a great game with a lot of potential. I look forward to playing it again later on with more awareness of what Cherry can do and more of eye towards using Tekton's power strategically. I'm looking forward to my first victory and will post here when it happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Rugolo
msg tools
Just lost my 3rd game after feeling like I had it under control. While setting up for my 4th game, I noticed that when multiple timers would expire you choose one. I was having all 4 go off at all. Oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Very nice PnP deck did you make it yourself? I looked at the PnP file and realized I'd never be able to print it easily because each card it its own page... any tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice pnp set!

To make your own more easily you can do what I did and just sleeve a standard deck of playing cards. Then print out the 6 cards from each deck that are non-standard, cut them out and slip those into the sleeves. For Cherry Bomb it was the 1s, 7s and 13s. For Tekton I think the 4,6,8 of one suit and 5,7,9 of another.

You don't get the nice full experience with the art but you can at least try out the game.

Just tried mine for about the 4th or 5th time -- I either won a complete victory (36 pts) or a minor victory (16). It all depends on whether you can move a '13' that is in a column with one or more cards in Reserve onto an empty column to reveal the Reserve cards behind it. If you can, complete victory! All the rules say is that an empty column is not used again unless you can move a '13' into it. I figured you can move one from your hand or from waste so you probably could move it from another column too but wasn't certain.

I agree about some of Tekton's powers, specifically the one about moving one reserve pile onto another. But I actually did it in this game to move a pile I didn't think I could reveal onto one I thought I could and it paid off. Also the lava burst came in handy to scrape off some a couple of duplicate high cards into the waste so I could start seeing the reserve piles under it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Rugolo
msg tools
I used a printing service. It was a little pricey, but this game looked so good that I wanted to give it a try ASAP. So far I am not disappointed. I've played about 10 games so far and have yet to win through a combination of bad luck, misinterpreted rules, and (I'm sure) poor decision making. I think I told my wife "one more game" like five times last night before I put it away for the night.

The game is the perfect combination of challenge and quickness-of-play to really get me feeling addicted. So even though my two printed decks cost nearly half the cost of the 8 that will come with the core set (not to mention I will have duplicate copies of Tekton and Cherry Bomb), I consider it a worthwhile expense.

The more I played last night, the more I got a handle on the tactical use of powers and also what to anticipate that Cherry would throw at me. It really does feel like a superhero battle. The only issue I can potentially see is this: when I have game nights with friends, I am always the one pushing for one more game in the wee hours of the morning after a crushing loss (usually in Defenders of the Realm or Sentinels of the Multiverse). Sometimes I get my way and sometimes a friend with a voice of reason convinces everyone to go their separate ways and get some sleep. Because this is a solitaire game, I always get my way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.