Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor McDowall
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which of the GIPF games are getting a reprint? Apart from GIPF and YINSH which are in my local game-store now.

Also, does anyone care to share their favourite in the series? I figure I'll probably only ever buy one (especially since the box is so bulky and not particularly cheap in my FLGS ) unless I really, really, really love it, so the question is, which one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam in Wales
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BoredGameGiik wrote:
Which of the GIPF games are getting a reprint? Apart from GIPF and YINSH which are in my local game-store now.

Also, does anyone care to share their favourite in the series? I figure I'll probably only ever buy one (especially since the box is so bulky and not particularly cheap in my FLGS ) unless I really, really, really love it, so the question is, which one?

They're all lined up for a reprint (except TAMSK which was removed from the project some time ago). They'll be spaced out over a year or two, and Huch have confirmed that there'll be a new title added to the lineup.

My favourite is YINSH. A perfect abstract game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor McDowall
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply, Adam. I was thinking of Yinsh myself but I await further replies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried Yinsh yet (been waiting for this reprint), but Zertz is my wife and I's favorite abstract game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them ranked and commented on in this GeekList (I slightly prefer Tzaar over Yinsh but either is a great choice):
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/209694/abstracts-ive-...

Also, various opinions here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/56114/gipfy-rankings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Vorstenbosch
Suriname
flag msg tools
mb
I think DVONN is brilliant!!!

The first time I played it, it felt as if it was impossible to make a strategy from the beginning. But I was so wrong..... It's BRILLIANT!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is YINSH. I would also recommend TZAAR and DVONN.
Originally ZERTZ was my favorite, but it allows/requires very deep move analysis, so that for me it is more work than fun to play.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KivasFajo wrote:
My favorite is YINSH. I would also recommend TZAAR and DVONN.
Originally ZERTZ was my favorite, but it allows/requires very deep move analysis, so that for me it is more work than fun to play.

Michael

Zertz is my favourite, but Yinsh is by far the most accessible of the bunch. Dvonn is a good third place. A new title gets added? So Punct is doomed? \o/

It depends far more on what type of game you'd like than anything else, as each game is slightly different. Dvonn has the positional attack/defence of Chess, Zertz has the sacrificing and forced plays of.. Chess. But it feels more like Checkers. Yinsh has its own character, too!

If you only get one, try Yinsh. If you'd like to try more, there's no set order, but Yinsh is usually everyone's #1 or 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BoredGameGiik wrote:

I like them all, but I think my pick for just one might well be Zertz, not so much because it's a better game than the others but because it's quite a bit different to just about anything else. You're not playing one set of pieces against another, which is quite rare in an abstract.

(I also like Tamsk for its uniqueness, but it Officially Doesn't Count any more...)

Pete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Facharbeit Strangelove
msg tools
I would suggest to give thought to Dvonn as well. I completely underestimated the game until I played it once against a complete stranger. After three moves I started to understand that he was already putting me under pressure and that it was not only about building nice colored stacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.