Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Haltom
United States
St. Matthews
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm looking to start collecting and painting, and hopefully playing Bolt Action. Some of the users here whose opinions I respect have rated the game highly and after watching numerous videos on the many different systems, BA looks like the one I would enjoy most.

For starters, I think starting out in 28mm is a no go for me for financial ressons. I've been looking at the Old Glory 15mm line, the Plastic Soldier Company 15mm and 1/72 lines. I can get started for about 40 bucks or so with either scale, buying just one box each of infantry for Germans and Americans, and have plenty of models for about 4 full squads apiece.

I probably won't have anyone to game with, except for some friends, and I want to have two different armies ready to go. From what I've read, either scale will work just fine for the BA rules, but I'm wanting opinions on the pros and cons of either scale.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't too many cons on going to 15mm or 1/72 scale. You should be fine.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How sharp are your eyes? In Bolt Action, it's important to distinguish what weapons the individual figures are carrying. I stuck to 1/72 because it's easier for me to see (and paint) the details.

On the other hand, 15mm would give a better sense of proportion to measurements along the ground. It's simply a matter of personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Building squads, this site is helpful: http://boltaction.easyarmy.com
Then you know what to buy.
But I would go for 28mm since there are most players doing that. You could have trouble finding opponents for 15mm or 20mm (1/72)!
But if it's just you and a friend playing, go with what you like. Don't forget you need houses, trees, hedges, roads, rivers, bridges, fences, hills and so on.

But get the rule book - version 2 is coming soon and read it. Learn how to build your armies. Learn how much each unit cost, find out what you want in your army, buy it and paint it! Play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolt Action can be played with any scale of miniature, but first I recommend looking into what scale of figures other players near you might have collected and go from there.

If you plan to collect and paint all the figures yourself, then the scale you pick is what you think is best for you (visually and budget).

I have played Bolt Action with 15mm and 28mm scale figures. At first we (my gaming club) played BA with 15mm figures because that is all we had at the time. With 15mm figures, you can use centimeters instead of inches and play with a smaller game table if space is an issue. However, for us space was not an issue, so when we played with 15mm figures we used inches. Since the ranges in BA are scaled down for game play, using inches with 15mm figures gives a better visual of actual ranges.

That being said, the big advantage of playing Bolt Action with 28mm figures is that most other Bolt Action players have 28mm collections, so more players means more figures available. Also because BA is a skirmish game, visually 28mm figures work well with the game.

We (my gaming club) did get some 1/72 plastic figures from Valiant:
(http://www.valiantminiatures.com)
These figures are nice and they stand 25mm from bottom of the feet to the top of the head, so we were thinking they will be good for BA, so we ended up getting a few packs. However, not long after that there was a sale on 28mm BA figures, so we also pick up some of those as well. We ended up assembling and painting the 28mm BA figures first, and the 28mm collections kept growing to the point where the Valiant figures have not been started yet. Also, when new players joined the club, they already had some 28mm BA figures, so that was a plus side to starting with the 28mm figures first.

I strongly recommend going with 28mm figures if there is any chance that you might meet up with another player that plays BA and has BA figures. Otherwise, I recommend the Valiant Miniatures. If you go this route, be sure to get 1/72 and not 1/76 scale model kits when you look for vehicles. There is a difference. Sadly, some of the older 1/76 kits are now marked 1/72, so be careful. A little research can go a long way here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Haltom
United States
St. Matthews
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone knows of a U.S. seller of these Valiant minis, I'd appreciate it. They look great, but i am only seeing them on eBay and they are charging full retail plus shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grafikchaos wrote:
If anyone knows of a U.S. seller of these Valiant minis, I'd appreciate it. They look great, but i am only seeing them on eBay and they are charging full retail plus shipping.

Be warned, they are significantly larger than 1/72 scale, and will not match well with other miniatures and vehicles in that scale. I'd recommend Plastic Soldier Company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Haltom
United States
St. Matthews
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that on Plastic Soldier Review. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kubik
msg tools
mbmbmb
Correct me if I'm wrong but Warlords offers free shipping on orders over 50 bucks. I could be wrong but I think this applies to all shipping including international.

I looked over the Valiant Miniatures, they are pretty poor quality, I'm surprised there is any interest in them at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.