18 Posts

Near and Far» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter or Retail? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There does not seem to be very much ' extra ' in the Kickstarter edition. Is it really worth the price ( generally here the retail price is the same/ similar to Kickstarter, less if you wait a while. Curious what is driving the Kickstarter need to buy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Turner
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
Roll for the Guru
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like metal coins are the perk for backing (aside from the general Kickstarter 'perks' of participating, helping toward stretch goals, etc...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 things for me:

1. Support Red Raven games
2. Above and Below Kickstarter extras
3. Metal coins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
3 things for me:

1. Support Red Raven games
2. Above and Below Kickstarter extras
3. Metal coins

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Retail price will be $60MSRP and not have the coins, that is a KS exclusive.

As for the push to buy the KS, I would say it's to support the designer and to get the A&B KS exclusives if you did not back it and have the retail version.

For me, I greatly enjoy all Ryan's games and am happy to pay a bit extra (exchange, CAD sucks right now)to support him/help bring one of his projects to life/retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
Retail price will be $60MSRP and not have the coins, that is a KS exclusive.

As for the push to buy the KS, I would say it's to support the designer and to get the A&B KS exclusives if you did not back it and have the retail version.

For me, I greatly enjoy all Ryan's games and am happy to pay a bit extra (exchange, CAD sucks right now)to support him/help bring one of his projects to life/retail.

Ditto. I missed out on A&B on Kickstarter, so I'm happily backing N&F to pick up the extras for one of my favorite games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, I really love A&B and also a backer. Red Raven is amazing, and even more the designer / illustrator Ryan Laukat himself.
But shipping to my country is expensive ($30) and getting this game should be $90 in total exclude tax that I have to pay.
The thing is, if the KS exclusive is only metal coins, it's less than realistic wooden resources the A&B offered (IMO). And the thing is when the retail hit the stores, it's way cheaper than it's KS copy.
So not saying getting KS is not a good thing for A&B but I just afraid that it will be the same thing with N&F and the only difference is just metal coins, which I could satisfy with tokens.
So I'm longing that they can up the exclusive a bit, more exclusive. laugh

PS: Though the metal coins look very gorgeous! In a hard dilemma here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently not backing. I purchased the expanded edition off someone for the KS price + shipping which was a good deal, but would've been less to purchase retail then get the other book here. That aside, I'm all for supporting RRG, but I don't want to pay MSRP for metal coins. If through stretch it includes an expansion or some other bonus from retail, I'll probably get it. Either way, the campaign is doing great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Roy
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
For me, I already have the expanded stuff by backing the last kickstarter, so I don't need it. Metal coins aren't that interesting to me. I'll probably buy it when it's out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Bunch
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
FYI, lots of new stretch goals just added

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
lasttruegypsy wrote:
FYI, lots of new stretch goals just added

Just different colors for metal coins (which I thought it's already that).
Oh turned out its extra coins...

Waiting for more KS exclusive stretch goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
I'm a backer, but only because I'm looking forward to getting the game without delay. Shipping to New Zealand makes it very nearly cost-prohibitive, but because of A&B's limited availability here, I chose to back it.

I do agree the extras aren't particularly compelling... the coins don't do a whole lot for me, but the double-sided town at 300K might, and we still have over two weeks in the project to find out what stretch goals are being made for 380-500K (currently blanked out on the KS page).

Scythe came out cheaper here than the KS backing level, so I'm quietly hoping the extras get exciting enough in the next two weeks to make me not regret waiting to see if it goes on sale here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
Looking at the red raven kickstarter history, ryan has moved away from kickstarter exclusives that are content and towards kickstarter exclusives that are enhancements. I assume this is because of all the complaining you see about people not wanting to buy a game retail that doesnt have "everything" (look at the a&b forum for what I mean). Islebound only has kickstarter exclusive resources (the expansion will be for purchase later) compared to the extra story and mechanics of a&b.

If you don't care about coins, the expanded a&b stuff, or getting it early there is probably no reason to back the kickstarter other than simply to support the company (I assume the 10% kickstarter takes is way less than the discount a retail gets).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love metal coins, and often pay $20-30 extra just to upgrade my games, so I'm always excited when I can get metal games tailored to a specific game. Insta-back for me because of that, and I really like his games.

If you don't care about metal coins, then don't back, as I don't see a reason to otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the reasons that I'd rather back on Kickstarter:

1. As others have said, I get to support a small game designer/publisher that hasn't disappointed me yet.

2. I am guaranteed to get a copy of a game that I know I want anyway but may have some difficulty finding in retail if the print run is small.

3. I often pay MSRP for my games because I like to support my local gaming store, and brick and mortar stores usually sell at MSRP. I live in the US, so shipping isn't that much for me. All things considered, I'm fine with the pricing from the Kickstarter.

4. Since Red Raven doesn't do many Kickstarter exclusives, that means that most stretch goals will be enhancing the retail game as well. If I back on Kickstarter, as opposed to waiting for retail, I'm helping Red Raven produce an even better game for everyone. Personally, I prefer this model over a bunch of KS exclusives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reasons to back KS projects for me is that more money goes directly into the pockets of the people laboring to bring a game to me.

I.e. Ryan makes more $$$ and he makes more games, and I like that. I rarely back games from unknown designer/companies any more. Too much risk, burned too many times.

To be fair, I'm not holier than thou about it. I buy a lot of games from OLGS, too. But if you want to support a small company with limited means and its brilliant designer/owner/artist all-in-one, back this project. It'll cost you more, but it will insure that Ryan makes $$$ and can keep doing wonderful things for our hobby, pushing the boundaries of game design in ever-new territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am torn, but have decided to back the project. It means the game gets delivered, and it helps get stretch goals for everyone, and helps the designer to boot. Metal coins are nice too I guess. Thanks for all the honest responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very wise!

I would be willing to bet (roughly $77, according to my pledge level) that you (and I, and 4,982-ish others at the time of this posting) will have a great deal of enjoyment from the game.

But, if not, the BGG marketplace can always be used to help another RedRavenGames convert get the game they are looking for. I was recently able to pick up a KS version of Ryan's Islebound here for what I consider to be more-than-the-KS-price-but-still-quite-reasonable amount and couldn't be happier. As Ryan's games such as Above and Below and Islebound continue to get out "into the wild", there will likely be more fans looking for his games. A possible City of Iron 2E expansion and a 2nd Edition of Empires of the Void are rumored to be in the works as well, meaning even more games and more exposure!

I think (for whatever that is worth!) you made the right call and I thank you for helping the campaign to grow so we can all enjoy "moar stuff". It's been a pretty fun ride so far, really looking forward to playing the game!

~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.