Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been debating writing this for a while now. I couldn't decided if what I have to say really matters, just more words on the internet. Still not sure what my motivations are, but it seems I need to say my peace and be done with it. This is probably more for me than anything, but who knows, maybe some interesting discussion will come of it. I'll probably ramble a lot...

I'm sure a lot of you have read this before. I have too many games and not enough time to play...blah, blah, blah. My home life has changed a lot since i found the board gaming hobby. My girls are now teenagers and have really lost interest in playing games. I think this has more to do with them not having the time to play verses not wanting to. I've come to terms with it- fully support their interest in life. I'll miss the challenge. I'm still playing games though. My wife, brother-in-law, and I have been playing every two weeks when he comes into town. We are all enjoying ourselves and playing the same game multiple times. I consider myself very fortunate.

However, I currently have 90 unplayed games and 20 more coming from KickStarter...yes I have a problem (Please don't misunderstand what I consider a problem to be a universal one. Please spend your money however you want on as many games as you want. Do what makes you happy, I will not judge). This "problem" I have been working on correcting for quite a while now, sold off almost twice as many games as I own(current collection sits at 250). As it is, it will take a lifetime to just get the unplayed games to the table. That would be getting them to the table once, repeated plays is another beast entirely.

I really enjoy learning new games (from rules or video). But, man-o-man have I have become so adverse to teaching. I believe this is the main reason for playing games over and over. The other being not wanting to confuse my brother-in-law with too many different rule sets.

With all that be said, what to do? I have curtailed my Kickstarter habit somewhat, but still find those games to be more interesting than what has come out through normal channels(my opinion, please don't hate). The exception to this has been Voyages of Marco Polo. Absolutely the best damn game I own, love it, love it, love it. I also plan on paring down the collection some more though the marketplace.

The title suggest I have made a decision and will stick to it. Lets hope. I am just too damn fickle with the whole thing. One day, sell them all, the next, eventually everything will get played. I don't lack for space, or money, or players even. Could use more time, but I am still playing and having fun.

So what is the point of all this? I don't really know...maybe just wanted to add more words to the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Cooper
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing and good luck!

You'll be back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't worry so much. And play more if you can.

Pete (doesn't see his unplayed games as a source of stress)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unload some stuff. It will make you feel better and in more control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - lots more stuff to worry about it - like the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.

It seems to be normal for people to start asking themselves questions when they spend a bit of time and/or money on something.

Change it if you think it needs changing, but dont worry about it too much if its not a real problem - which it doesnt seem to be for you.

There you go, a few more words for the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the more I play the games I like, the less I find myself shopping for new games. it's almost as if buying is a way to scratch that gaming itch, although playing does it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seththedog,

I just wanted to add my two cents of agreement to your current situation. Different backstory, but my current situation is similar. By the way, based on the thread title, I was expecting something completely different. Or at least somewhat different, more in line with "I'm not buying any more new games; I've got plenty of good games already." Turns out you have not turned your back on new stuff after all. Good for you.

Every old favorite started out as a new game (to you or me) at some point. You didn't name games, but I will. I have included a couple of excerpts from recent posts to serve as illustrations:

1. * * *

Subject: Ever purchased a game without knowing anything about it and loved it? If so I'd love to hear about it!

Theme is my strong/weak point. I am easily drawn towards railroad and pirate theme games. Also empire building (4X) games. For example, two that worked out fine were "Railroad Tycoon" (which I later re-purchased as "Railways of the World") and "Black Fleet". "Railroad Tycoon" was a 'must buy' as soon as I laid eyes on it and, as "Railways of the World", it still gets a lot of play with my gaming group, showing no sign of slowing down. "Black Fleet" is more of a parlour game, but it had a great run with us. Would scoop up an expansion in a heartbeat.

So the point of this excerpt is that I still look for new games as well as playing old favorites. You never know when a game has run it's course and no one wants to play it anymore. Happened almost overnight with "Black Fleet". And some of the Kickstarter stuff looks so good.

2. * * *

Subject: You only get to keep five games, which five?

Railways of the World - A group favorite and infinitely expandable just by making new maps. Scales well for 2 - 7 players. You haven't lived until you play with 6 players on the England and Wales map.

Wizard Kings - We play it as a multiplayer expansionistic empire building game; asymmetrical armies and infinitely expandable just by making new maps. Also scales well for 2-7 players.

Antike - Another group favorite and infinitely expandable just by making new maps. 4-6 players is best.

Wings of Glory WWI - Love the airplanes. Adaptable for 2+ players; asymmetrical aircraft types and infinitely expandable just by making new maps out of thin air. Can also make mobiles out of extra airplanes. Did I mention that I love the airplanes?

Chess - Only 2 players; not expandable; introspective; infinite possibilities.

I put some thought into what games would be on that list, and the major criterion was "did the game have a bright future?". Many games have been put out to pasture, including some that were great fun but are just played out. Spent a lot of time as an adult playing fun stuff like "Magic the Gathering", "1829", "Diskwars", and "Twilight Imperium Armada", but they are not in the rotation any more. Other titles like "Ticket to Ride" and "Game of Thrones" are kind of in Limbo. And I've got a few more to trot out in the near future, some of which were recently Kickstarted (not necessarily by me). Always on the lookout for the next great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Personally for me
I make it a point that if i dont read the rules, i wont buy the game
I must know exactly what i am buying and will also tend to have a rough feel on how the game will play out
Also, this helps me to decide if its easy to teach or at least manageable in most aspects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Just don't worry so much. And play more if you can.

Pete (doesn't see his unplayed games as a source of stress)

I've actually come to find that there is a certain level or a certain type of pleasure I get from owning a game. It's different from playing and doesn't replace it, is just in addition to it I guess.

So yay like Pete says, don't worry too much (you have the money and the space (wish I had more of the latter)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space, .... the final frontier.
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my situation is much different then yours although I fully understand where your coming and support any decision you make. I used to have a large game collection mostly wargames but after I got married my wife who was not a board gamer at all and certainly not war games which she despised convinced me to give up the collection. Now that I am single again I have been re-aquiring my game collection and although I have vented in a different thread about how much money I have spent this year (enormous) the collection for its own sake means a lot to me emotionally. I fully realize there may be games that will not hit the table maybe for years if ever but that doesn't matter because they are there and the fact that they are there means a great deal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people seem concerned/overwhelmed by the number of games they end up accumulating. What is a number that you feel is proper to own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Party Hats wrote:
What is a number that you feel is proper to own?

Its more a journey than a destination
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that I enjoy trading for new-to-me games as much as I like buying new ones. It allows my collection to stay fresh without growing exponentially. Looking at my shelves now, almost half of my games have been acquired in trade. Actually, I just shipped off 2 more today for a math trade and put 9 more up in another one.

Having been back in the hobby now for almost 3 years, I've pushed through the "gotta have 'em all" phase and have really narrowed in on the types of games that I like to play. I went a bit nuts on Kickstarter over the past couple years, but I've already sold 2 that delivered this year without playing them and have 2 or 3 more coming that will get the same treatment. In the past, I'd have my eye on 9 or 10 upcoming campaigns this year. Now, I'm looking at 2 definite and 1 or 2 maybes.

I'd like to say I have a more discerning eye now, but it's probably more that I've just calmed the hell down and realized that the excitement for a new game will wane if I wait a week or two. It helps to avoid backing Kickstarters on day 1 and other "gotcha" days like B&N red tag sales and Amazon's prime day. Unsubscribing to the great deals thread was a Godsend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people get to this point sooner or later. Life just has a way of throwing everyone a curve ball just when we think we have it all figured out. Our tastes change, our jobs change, our income changes, our family and friends change etc. No one should expect to keep buying game after game month after month and have that continue for any extended period of time. There are very few people that have been around BGG for 5 or 10 years that haven't gone through this to one extent or another. You just have to roll with the changes and always make sure you are having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend moving to Rochester, Mn and my wife and I shall be happy to help play those games you have that have been sitting patiently waiting to be picked and played. :)Of course, you'll have to trade in your extreme heat for some snow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
You have 90 unplayed games and 20 more coming in.

You could vow not to buy any new games until you don't have any unplayed games (either play or get rid of them).

Which brings us to the question why you are buying the games if you are not playing them ("it will take a lifetime to just get the unplayed games to the table"). Seems you already have enough and you don't need to buy any new ones.

So do you buy because buying is fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been said many times on these forums, if you feel like your hobby is taking over your life physically and financially, then you need to seek professional help. We can offer moral support, but board game geeks are not the best qualified to create tailored solutions for your family and your situation.

If you feel like your hobby is not out of control (denial much? ), then you obviously just need a vacation from boardgames. Start with taking a week off BBG (heresy!). No checking news or any other aspect of boardgaming. You can still meet and play, but no outside boardgame related activites. Then increase from a week to 2-3, and then maybe a month.

You will find, when you come back, that a lot has happened, but you will have missed nothing. To give you an example, i can go to my local game store and buy a copy of blood rage, you know that game, the game every one was salivating about, and was a kickstarter, therefore had limited availability. .. that game, is there on the shelf, waiting, from a year ago. Same with Pandemic Legacy...

My point is, that we can live perfectly fulfilling lives without all of these games, and it could be an opportunity for you to find a different hobby (as long as it is not golf), or invest in family time more heavily. You say you have teenagers. I can't imagine this to be an easy period ( i have no children mysef so I won't comment with any sort of authority), but it could be an opportunity to invest time discussing university/apprenticeship with them. I am sure this would keep you occupied for a while.

Taking a time off from BBG and boardgaming does not have to be final either. Anyone who invest a lot of time and effort into work and/or hobby knows that it is possible to "burn out". This may be what is happening to you.

Still, more words written, more opinions given. Not sure you will even read this, but that is my two pennies.

All the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
I find the more I play the games I like, the less I find myself shopping for new games. it's almost as if buying is a way to scratch that gaming itch, although playing does it better.

I think this is where I'm heading, I hope. It's just so damn hard to not to keep looking for another game I have never heard of. I don't belong to a Cult, honest. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1ee2rn wrote:
I recommend moving to Rochester, Mn and my wife and I shall be happy to help play those games you have that have been sitting patiently waiting to be picked and played. Of course, you'll have to trade in your extreme heat for some snow.

Great Idea! Do you have room for 4? Of course, I could leave the kids with their aunt...

I have in the past tried joining some games groups. The groups were great, but their proximity to me was not (I live a bit out of town). This has only gotten worse as my daughters extracurricular's become the focus. Maybe when their off to college I'll have more time to play?

I'm not sure why owning games stresses me out. I have been thinking about different hobbies and maybe that is what I need to do. Take a break from here and go clean my garage (I have been trying to gear up to make Crokinole boards)...it's just so damn hot outside.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seththedog wrote:

However, I currently have 90 unplayed games and 20 more coming from KickStarter...yes I have a problem (Please don't misunderstand what I consider a problem to be a universal one. Please spend your money however you want on as many games as you want. Do what makes you happy, I will not judge). This "problem" I have been working on correcting for quite a while now, sold off almost twice as many games as I own(current collection sits at 250).

250 - 79 expansions = 171 games
...with 90 unplayed? surprise

Yes, I know, saying that you should buy less or play more won't help. (Doesn't help me with my 160-24 Ratio, either) But you should really consider to be more selective what you buy...or get rid of something.

Not every game is new or diverse enough that it's worth owning. Try to narrow it down to either games you like where you want more or really new stuff. I had some purchases that tought me that the initial hype didn't last long enough and that I'd rather play some games I already have more often.

TLDR: slow down + be more selective (plus some meaningless chit chat)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
Seththedog wrote:

However, I currently have 90 unplayed games and 20 more coming from KickStarter...yes I have a problem (Please don't misunderstand what I consider a problem to be a universal one. Please spend your money however you want on as many games as you want. Do what makes you happy, I will not judge). This "problem" I have been working on correcting for quite a while now, sold off almost twice as many games as I own(current collection sits at 250).

...with 90 unplayed?
With another 20 unplayed Kickstarter games coming in. Which puts his unplaced games at over half his collection. Personally, I'd start watching what I buy if the unplyed games hit 10+%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
Seththedog wrote:

...with 90 unplayed?
With another 20 unplayed Kickstarter games coming in. Which puts his unplaced games at over half his collection. Personally, I'd start watching what I buy if the unplyed games hit 10+%.

I don't know, close to half my collection is unplayed right now, but that's also because I buy most of my games for the year at the one convention I attend that year. Basically, I buy in bulk and then spend the next 12 months getting all my new games played. I like to get through all the new stuff so I can figure out what I want to keep and what I want to get rid of (if any). Some games I try before I buy but most of my games I buy without getting to try them first. While not for everyone, my strategy has worked pretty well for me so far.

EDIT: Grammar and clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're supposed to play them?!? I thought it was all about fondling them and whispering how much you love them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of a journey is not to arrive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.