$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 48.42

3,638 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22.9% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
18 
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Mage Knight fanboys: Please, stop... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davin Nisser
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I own Mage Knight. I only play it solo. I enjoy the heck out of it. It is a fantastic game.

That being said, there are other solo games and people may want to hear about them. In fact, sometimes, they specifically ask about them! Despite replies to many recommendation threads, Mage Knight doesn't actually fit into every game category. Please, for the love of all that is Holy, stop suggesting Mage Knight anytime somebody asks about a solo game.

[Random User #1]: I really enjoyed playing Race for the Galaxy solo. I'm looking for another solitaire card game.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight!
[Random User #1]: But Mage Knight has tiles and minis and counters and dice and tokens. I'm looking for a card game.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight has cards...and it's the best solo game EVAR!

[Random User #2]: I really enjoyed playing Descent with the solo app. Are there any other solo dungeon crawlers?
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight!
[Random User #2]: But I'm looking for a game, like Descent, where you explore dungeons and fight monsters and take their stuff and level up.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: In mage knight you explore and there are dungeons and you fight monsters...and it's the best solo game EVAR!

[Random User #3]: I really enjoyed playing Legendary solo. What other solo deck builders are out there?
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight!
[Random User #3]: But I just want to play cards to add cards to my deck so I can shuffle it up and do it all over again, all by myself.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight lets you add a card every once in a while and shuffle your deck...and it's the best solo game EVAR!

Apparently, it is also an adventure RPG, a wargame, a tactical minis game, and who knows how many other categories.

Really?!!!
33 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tumorous snark bomb in 3...2...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow Are you saying that people are giving suggestions without really reading the threads in the recommendations forums? On bgg? Never!

Next you'll be saying people are getting upset over some Kickstarter exclusive
24 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd heard of deep sea divers who can hold their breath for 20 minutes.

But getting fanboys and trolls to stop because you say so? Craaaazy!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean Mage Knight isn't the best everything game EVAR!!!! I feel so Betrayed! angry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played. Never even saw it played. Never even read its rulebook. Never owned. Never considered owning.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar issue with recommendations for Kingdom Death: Monster, and to a lesser degree with Star Realms. I don't think there's a way to stop excited fans from suggesting their favorites, though.

At least there's usually other players pointing out if these recommendations probably don't meet the OPs criteria.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
[Random User #1]: I really enjoyed playing Race for the Galaxy solo. I'm looking for another solitaire card game.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight!
[Random User #1]: But Mage Knight has tiles and minis and counters and dice and tokens. I'm looking for a card game.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight has cards...and it's the best solo game EVAR!

Agreed. When the question specifically mentions a scifi theme, Star Trek: Frontiers is clearly the better recommendation.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Never played. Never even saw it played. Never even read its rulebook. Never owned. Never considered owning.


Your life must be meaningless! I am feeling with you.

Bye
Thanee
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
I have a similar issue with recommendations for Kingdom Death: Monster

+1
The game is OOP and very expensive yet it keeps coming back as recommendation.

Mage Knight on the other hand...
9 
 Thumb up
38.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post the links to the threads that these examples came from?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it amazing that on a site that encourages the childish geeky excitement over fun playthings, someone wants to quash the childish geeky excitement of fun playthings.
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly you don't understand Mage Knight if you still don't think it's appropriate for every recommendation ever.

I recommend playing more Mage Knight.

--

I've definitely seen MK suggested when uncalled for. I feel that happens with RftG a lot too.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. Check this out. The OP specifically said that he and his girlfriend do not like Star Realms, yet a user makes 2 long comments on how they should try Star Realms again:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1610588/deck-building-games... (towards the bottom of the first - and only so far - page).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
Can you post the links to the threads that these examples came from?

I'm not sure that's entirely helpful to call out specific users, butter to do what the OP has done. Yes it makes it more difficult to see if his complain is justified but better not to make it personal.

Icarus599 wrote:
I've definitely seen MK suggested when uncalled for. I feel that happens with RftG a lot too.


Yes, I've seen it too and may have done it with RftG. I've also on occasion replied and said that I don't think RftG is a good suggestion. I've also had people make recommendations that aren't what I wanted when I'd requested recommendations - however that's not really a big deal.

The trouble is most BGG users aren't qualified to make really good recommendations because they haven't played enough games enough times, and sometimes it's not clear exactly what the person want. How many games would someone have had to have played to make really good recommendations? I'm not sure but probably at least 50 games at least 5-10 times to make good recommendations where the requirement is fairly exact (deck building games) and probably thousands of games to be able to answer some of the less specific recommendations.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
Can you post the links to the threads that these examples came from?

I'm not sure that's entirely helpful to call out specific users, butter to do what the OP has done. Yes it makes it more difficult to see if his complain is justified but better not to make it personal.


My point was that the specific examples sound way too fake.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:

The trouble is most BGG users aren't qualified to make really good recommendations because they haven't played enough games enough times, and sometimes it's not clear exactly what the person want. How many games would someone have had to have played to make really good recommendations? I'm not sure but probably at least 50 games at least 5-10 times to make good recommendations where the requirement is fairly exact (deck building games) and probably thousands of games to be able to answer some of the less specific recommendations.


Ok, so it's settled, from now on everybody only listens to me

Seriously, in a hobby where guys who'd never heard of boardgames 5 years ago have their own youtube review channel it's a miracle if you manage to find the few needles in the haystack who know what they're talking about and have some historical perspective.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mb
zabdiel wrote:
The trouble is most BGG users aren't qualified to make really good recommendations because they haven't played enough games enough times, and sometimes it's not clear exactly what the person want. How many games would someone have had to have played to make really good recommendations? I'm not sure but probably at least 50 games at least 5-10 times to make good recommendations where the requirement is fairly exact (deck building games) and probably thousands of games to be able to answer some of the less specific recommendations.


We know people here aren't reviewers. But, for example, I remember a thread about someone asking for a Language Independent Card Game, someone else recommends a Tile Laying Game that's not Language Independent, and then the following suggestions started deviating from the intended topic more and more.

I think the point would be, don't try to tell the OP what he/she is looking for. If they ask for a light game with no dice, don't tell them they should really try this or that dice game because you know they will enjoy it so much, no really you should try it!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is one reason why I don't ask for recommendations. This community may be excited about boardgames, but they make awful recommendations. AWFUL.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MalCharacter wrote:
I think the point would be, don't try to tell the OP what he/she is looking for. If they ask for a light game with no dice, don't tell them they should really try this or that dice game because you know they will enjoy it so much, no really you should try it!


I don't know - sometimes I think it can make more sense to ignore some of the OP's requests. Some parts are obviously non-negotiable (e.g. "Language Independent") but some parts might be - if I asked for trick taking games that can be played with playing cards then someone recommending the domino game 42 might be ideal if the reason I'd stipulated playing cards was because I didn't want to buy a game and, I already owned a set of dominoes.

Once you get onto "you should really try this or that dice game because you know they will enjoy it so much, no really you should try it!" that's clearly ridiculous...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davin Nisser
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Randombias wrote:
HaNd_SoLo wrote:

[Random User #1]: I really enjoyed playing Race for the Galaxy solo. I'm looking for another solitaire card game.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight!
[Random User #1]: But Mage Knight has tiles and minis and counters and dice and tokens. I'm looking for a card game.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight has cards...and it's the best solo game EVAR!


Agreed. When the question specifically mentions a scifi theme, Star Trek: Frontiers is clearly the better recommendation.


That right there is funny!

DoomTurtle wrote:
zabdiel wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
Can you post the links to the threads that these examples came from?

I'm not sure that's entirely helpful to call out specific users, butter to do what the OP has done. Yes it makes it more difficult to see if his complain is justified but better not to make it personal.


My point was that the specific examples sound way too fake.


Search the recommendations forum for solo or solitaire. No matter what the OP is asking for, somebody will suggest Mage Knight. The first half of each example is true, but the names have been changed to protect the innocent/not so innocent. The second half is just to point out how ridiculous the suggestions is.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
I own Mage Knight. I only play it solo. I enjoy the heck out of it. It is a fantastic game.

That being said, there are other solo games and people may want to hear about them. In fact, sometimes, they specifically ask about them! Despite replies to many recommendation threads, Mage Knight doesn't actually fit into every game category. Please, for the love of all that is Holy, stop suggesting Mage Knight anytime somebody asks about a solo game.

[Random User #1]: I really enjoyed playing Race for the Galaxy solo. I'm looking for another solitaire card game.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight!
[Random User #1]: But Mage Knight has tiles and minis and counters and dice and tokens. I'm looking for a card game.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight has cards...and it's the best solo game EVAR!

[Random User #2]: I really enjoyed playing Descent with the solo app. Are there any other solo dungeon crawlers?
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight!
[Random User #2]: But I'm looking for a game, like Descent, where you explore dungeons and fight monsters and take their stuff and level up.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: In mage knight you explore and there are dungeons and you fight monsters...and it's the best solo game EVAR!

[Random User #3]: I really enjoyed playing Legendary solo. What other solo deck builders are out there?
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight!
[Random User #3]: But I just want to play cards to add cards to my deck so I can shuffle it up and do it all over again, all by myself.
[Mage Knight fanboy]: Mage Knight lets you add a card every once in a while and shuffle your deck...and it's the best solo game EVAR!

Apparently, it is also an adventure RPG, a wargame, a tactical minis game, and who knows how many other categories.

Really?!!!


If you think these guys are bad, what about the Scythe fanboys? Recommending the game before it was even produced and after the ks had closed.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
If you think these guys are bad, what about the Scythe fanboys? Recommending the game before it was even produced and after the ks had closed.


This is definitely my pet peeve: people recommending games that haven't been released or are OOP.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
It is one reason why I don't ask for recommendations. This community may be excited about boardgames, but they make awful recommendations. AWFUL.


I find that they are especially bad when the asker is not an active BGG user. When someone says, "Help me find a WP game to complement the other five I already have", that's one thing. But when someone says, "Hey, my brother-in-law picked up Ticket to Ride at Target - what next?", the signal-to-noise ratio is terrible.

(and often without regard to actual availability - although to be fair, this is regional, as we've seen some games that are OOP in the US are still widely available in Europe or elsewhere)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emu Prime wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:
If you think these guys are bad, what about the Scythe fanboys? Recommending the game before it was even produced and after the ks had closed.


This is definitely my pet peeve: people recommending games that haven't been releases

That depends on context, though.

If someone doesn't want a single recommendation for getting 1-2 games straight away and that's that, then it's still fine to recommend something that isn't currently available in retail but that would/could be available by the time the interested player would get to it.

What's more, there are for some of these games options to get PnP copies, or playtest versions that are traded, and such. You can get a playable versions of a fair percentage of games on KS before the official release date.

And as for the recommendation itself, again context. Some (though, yes, just some) people who recommend such games actually played them. Either as play-testers, or at some cons where demos were available, or with PnP copies. The fact that a game hasn't been released doesn't mean that nobody played it.

And depending on what the request for recommendation is, sometimes it can be legitimate to recommend something without playing at all, if it's a good fit. The recommendation in this case has to be very very clear that it's based on theoretical knowledge and no personal experience, but it can still be fine if the game seems like it would be a good match to the requirements (e.g. "I want something like Mage Knight, but SciFi" should get recommendations for Star Trek: Frontiers even when it's just at the press release stage).

Emu Prime wrote:
or are OOP.

Again, it depends.

Some OOP games do come back in print. So the recommendation can wait until later. Having a lower priority doesn't mean not mentioning it is always the right thing to do.

And some games are OOP in some parts of the world but not in others, so while some people won't have the option of (or want to) ordering from someplace else, some might, why make the decision for the person who wants the info, instead of giving them the info to make up their own mind?

Plus, there is a second-hand market for games. Sure, for popular OOP games the prices are higher, but this does mean some people are willing to pay the price. So again why not mention the option, and let the person who asked for the recommendation make up their own mind if they think the price is justified, instead of making the decision for them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.