Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope we can all appreciate what a challenge these rules were to write. We tried to stay brief without a lot of repetition that could get in the way.

I will be recording videos as soon as I get my main set back but in the meantime I thought I would start this FAQ.

General Questions:
Which roles are easiest to play?
I think the Knight is easy to play though winning with her requires some mastery. The Dragon is probably the easiest. The Thief isn't too bad but you need to know the flow of the game well to learn to stall long enough to steal the victory.

During setup it says to split the remaining piles into 3 decks to even shuffle the Crystal tiles. At this point there will be 26 tiles before crystal or vault which is not divisible by 3, does it matter which pile is short a tile?
By tradition I short the center stack. If anyone can tell the difference, they should be playing poker or blackjack for a living. As long as they are close it should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved for Knight questions.

Is the Knight required to do anything when she enters a new Tiles?
Yes she is required to:
Explore the tile.
Resolve Event Tokens
Attack Goblin Tribes (and her Strength needs to be higher)
Attack Surface Dragons (and her Strength needs to be equal to or higher than armor)

She may move past the following:
The Thief
Underground Dragon
Treasure Tokens
Crystals
Dragon Gems

Why can't I keep moving after Encounters are out even if I have moment?
I think we are going to write it so that your turn is over when you are out of Encounters since in theory at 0 movement you can spend a bunch of Encounters in the same space. Being in position to attack the Dragon in the late game is very important. I wanted to force a decision whether to explore and gain stuff or loiter in the middle at the end of the turn in to get ready for an attack.

Can the Knight use the Ancient Map to move through a wall that leads into empty space? does this force the cave to play a tile there for the Knight to go on?
No the Knight cannot do that. You could use a bomb to accomplish the same thing since it would create a new edge. One time during play testing we ended up with a complete Cave in 5 tiles. This is why in all Cave-less variants you place Tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved for Goblin questions.

Why are all of my tribes stuck off board scattering over and over?
When there is overpopulation it is an event for all of the Tribes. No matter how much you overpopulate all Tribes are capped at 4 population and only one Tribe needs to scatter. A Tribe that scatters still has an action and can return to the board. You can also spend rage to avoid overpopulating one per tribe.

On the player board it says the goblin tribes can only use their special when revealed, but in the rules makes no mention of this, which is correct?
They need to be revealed.

The goblin secret Trap says +1 strength +1 perception and implies the ability to ignore a Dragon attack. To my understanding none of the dragon attacks care at all about strength or perception of goblin tribes, what does this card do?
The strength and perception help the Goblins defend against Knight and Thief. If the Knight or Thief successfully strike the card is discarded. In addition if a Dragon attack hits a Goblin Tribe the card may be discarded to ignore the attack.

If the war card has me draw monsters but all my tribes already have monsters do I get to keep them in my hand? Can I play monsters at anytime or only during the draw monster phase? Example I have a monster in hand and a tribe scatters after an attack discarding the monster on their slot, can I play the monster from hand on that tribe the same turn?
Monsters all get played immediately. Discard whatever you don't or can't play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the Dragon eat Goblins when there is no Goblin player?
The Dragon can't eat Goblins in this situation. In the Knight vs Dragon game the Dragon starts with 2 Cubes moved down already and with the power Slither the Dragon can move the other 2 out. The Dragon doesn't need those 2 to win though.

Does the dragon ignore walls using the wing power if he is underground or do you use the player board rules strictly and he only moves 1 over walls regardless of underground status?
The Dragon ignores walls completely while underground and can move 1 or 2 spaces per Move/Wing card. Once the Dragon surfaces he needs Wings to cross walls and he can't move in the Dark.

Does Scorch reveal the tile the dragon is standing on, or only the ones surrounding it.
Surrounding is the 8 spaces around the current Tile. Scorch has not impact on your current tile. It used to hit all 9 tiles but it was a bit overpowered.

The Dragon can only remove a pride cube for Gems or not moving once per game unless he chooses to use the Slither ability correct? Can he move a cube from Prides(events)to Pride(don't move)?
Yes and yes. This was as intended. The two one cube Prides are a little bit easier so making them have a cost (cards) prices them correctly.

The dragon turns says do these actions in this order, [Move+Powers, Pickup Treasure, Place Gems, Refill Hand] does this mean I can only pick up treasure after I'm done moving and using powers, or if I use wing and fly through a treasure can I pick it up on my way?
Those parts of the Dragon's turn are discrete. The Dragon will need to stay on the treasure or swat them into a pile and end his turn there. He was simply too powerful otherwise. Pulling off 2 or more treasures in one grab is a huge coup. I think I've only seen 3 treasures picked up a handful of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved for Cave questions.

Can Past Plunders can place multiple treasures on the same tile? Or on a tile with another player or token?
I scanned the rules and the rules for placing a treasure are there but it is not repeated on the Cave’s sheet. I agree with Kyle it should follow the restrictions. If you consider that an errata that’s fine. I will for sure add it to the board if we do a reprint.

Clumping up the Treasures would probably be a really bad play for the Cave anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved for Thief questions.

When the Thief pickpockets the goblins what does he do with the Secrets card he takes?
Just discard the secrets cards.

Can the thief climb through empty space using the impassible terrain mode of his climbing ability or is this only for the terrain tiles variant. Example there is a tile then a blank space then another tile in a straight line.
No. That sounds neat though, try it get back to us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved for Variants questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Tsao
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi!

I was wondering if you had recommendations on which roles are easier to grasp with those with less gaming experience on a first play. I have a mixed playgroup with those newer and more familiar with boardgames in general, the difficulty setting is an AMAZING inclusion in the game, but was wondering if there were mechanically simpler roles a group that's entirely new to the game. Thanks!

Excited US Backer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Duggan
Japan
Itami
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmb
In a 2-player game, for example, Knight vs. Dragon. How does the dragon eat goblins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jacobs
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
When the Thief pick pockets the goblins what does he do with the Secrets card he takes?

On the player board it says the goblin tribes can only use their special when revealed, but in the rules makes no mention of this, which is correct?

Does the dragon ignore walls using the wing power if he is underground or do you use the player board rules strictly and he only moves 1 over walls regardless of underground status?

The goblin secret Trap says +1 strength +1 perception and implies the ability to ignore a Dragon attack. To my understanding none of the dragon attacks care at all about strength or perception of goblin tribes, what does this card do?

Does Scorch reveal the tile the dragon is standing on, or only the ones surrounding it.

Can Past Plunders can place multiple treasures on the same tile? Or on a tile with another player or token?

During setup it says to split the remaining piles into 3 decks to even shuffle the Crystal tiles. At this point there will be 26 tiles before crystal or vault which is not divisible by 3, does it matter which pile is short a tile?

The Dragon can only remove a pride cube for Gems or not moving once per game unless he chooses to use the Slither ability correct? Can he move a cube from Prides(events)to Pride(don't move)?

Can the Knight use the Ancient Map to move through a wall that leads into empty space? does this force the cave to play a tile there for the Knight to go on?

Can the thief climb through empty space using the impassible terrain mode of his climbing ability or is this only for the terrain tiles variant. Example there is a tile then a blank space then another tile in a straight line.

If the war card has me draw monsters but all my tribes already have monsters do I get to keep them in my hand? Can I play monsters at anytime or only during the draw monster phase? Example I have a monster in hand and a tribe scatters after an attack discarding the monster on their slot, can I play the monster from hand on that tribe the same turn?

The dragon turns says do these actions in this order, [Move+Powers, Pickup Treasure, Place Gems, Refill Hand] does this mean I can only pick up treasure after I'm done moving and using powers, or if I use wing and fly through a treasure can I pick it up on my way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the questions. I put them in their relevant places with answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timbob1907 Tim
msg tools
mbmbmb
Will Vast be available in stores? If so when do you hope it will generally be available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can the dragon target and affect the knight while the dragon is still underground?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
Can the dragon target and affect the knight while the dragon is still underground?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
timbob1907 wrote:
Will Vast be available in stores? If so when do you hope it will generally be available?

I have 120 games heading into distribution in the EU, 200 in Asian countries, and 120 in Australia/New Zealand. I only have handful in Canada and 0 in the USA. I will have a direct order link up as soon as the street date of 8/20. You can still pre-order from me for Gencon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Duggan
Japan
Itami
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmb
2 Goblin Questions:
If a goblin moves through 2 light tiles NOT in consecutive movement (i.e. move from dark to light to dark and light to dark to light), does the goblin tribe lose any goblins?

In your Goblin video, you said "if you are overpopulation, you cannot place the monsters." Does this mean that if you reduced any tribe population due to overpopulation, you cannot play a monster card that turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
deadtotoro wrote:
2 Goblin Questions:
If a goblin moves through 2 light tiles NOT in consecutive movement (i.e. move from dark to light to dark and light to dark to light), does the goblin tribe lose any goblins?
The population loss when moving is based on the total number of Lit tiles you pass through, whether they are consecutive or not.

Quote:
In your Goblin video, you said "if you are overpopulation, you cannot place the monsters." Does this mean that if you reduced any tribe population due to overpopulation, you cannot play a monster card that turn?
I haven't had the chance to watch the videos yet so I don't know the exact context of the statement - Patrick will have to fill in what he meant.

However, after drawing War cards you do need to resolve overpopulation before placing monsters. The reason is that if the Bones Tribe overpopulates and has to scatter, it directly affects the number of monsters you're allowed to have in play, which can prevent you from placing the new one(s) you were supposed to gain from the War card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
If the Cave player has a crystal in hand, they must place it. Is there any way for other players to verify that they do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
If the Cave player has a crystal in hand, they must place it. Is there any way for other players to verify that they do this?
No, there is no specific way to verify that.

It requires some degree of honesty/responsibility on the part of the Cave player to follow the rules, but the same applies to virtually every game in existence, even ones where players are encouraged to lie or cheat.

It's also worth noting:
1) With nine crystal tiles in the stack and a hand limit of three for the Cave, even if the player does try to cheat they will still be forced to place some of them at some point, particularly during opposing player turns when they won't have as much control over where those tiles go.

2) Placing crystal tiles and getting other players to reveal them puts more crystal tokens into play, which helps the Cave player by letting them draw more Omens each turn. If that player hoards crystal tiles and tries to rely solely on treasures for extra omen draws, they're going to have a very hard time keeping up with any of the other players. The one or two treasures they'll place each round may not even be on the map anymore when their next turn comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Furr
msg tools
Can the Knight move into a dark tile without exploring it? In other words, can the Knight wander around in the dark like the other characters?

Sometimes we've wanted to reserve an encounter for a specific tile, and shortcut through the dark to get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wffurr wrote:
Can the Knight move into a dark tile without exploring it? In other words, can the Knight wander around in the dark like the other characters?

Sometimes we've wanted to reserve an encounter for a specific tile, and shortcut through the dark to get there.
No, the Knight must always reveal (and encounter) dark tiles when she enters them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the sample round in the rulebook, could the Bones tribe have taken an action (for example, its Special Action to recruit an extra monster, given that it has population 2)? Wondering why it didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
In the sample round in the rulebook, could the Bones tribe have taken an action (for example, its Special Action to recruit an extra monster, given that it has population 2)? Wondering why it didn't.

Since the Bones tribe isn't revealed, it can't use its special action. This is missing from the rulebook, but is stated on their player board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a Dragon vs Knight 2 player game, what are the monster tokens used for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.