Subject: Bombardment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Orr
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
I hope I am interpreting these rules correctly! I am somewhat new to these types of games and have been enjoying this one quite a bit, but the bombardment rules seem really powerful. I understood it to mean that if I have a stack of three Union units within range of an unthreatened rebel artillery unit, the artillery can bombard every Union unit in that stack, making each roll separately. Historically, that seems to make sense, as the column could be greatly harmed and disorganized under a barrage, but for the game's purpose, it seems really powerful. I just wanted to make sure that was intentional and that I am understanding this right! Thanks for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
co1191 wrote:
I hope I am interpreting these rules correctly! I am somewhat new to these types of games and have been enjoying this one quite a bit, but the bombardment rules seem really powerful. I understood it to mean that if I have a stack of three Union units within range of an unthreatened rebel artillery unit, the artillery can bombard every Union unit in that stack, making each roll separately. Historically, that seems to make sense, as the column could be greatly harmed and disorganized under a barrage, but for the game's purpose, it seems really powerful. I just wanted to make sure that was intentional and that I am understanding this right! Thanks for your time!

Yep, you got it right.

From the quickplay manual, "If the defender's hex is stacked, resolve the bombardment separately against each defending unit."

If you choose to move a large stack near enemy artillery , expect to get a painful smackdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Petruska
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting, I have been working on a synthesis of the standard rules and the QP rules. Having been familiar with the detail from the standard rules I had internalized those and did not catch the change in emphasis in the QP rules for bombardment.

The standard rules unequivocally state: "Each bombarding artillery unit may target one enemy unit; it may select any unit in the stack". There are several other detailed rules for multiple bombarding units and coordination. In that context, I took the phrase from the simpler QP rules of "If the defender's hex is stacked, resolve the bombardment separately against each defending unit" to just mean that when multiple artillery units attack a stacked hex, each attack is resolved independently. However, if one ignores the context of the standard rules, it can definitely be interpreted in QP that a single artillery unit can bombard all units in the hex and resolve each attack separately. I am not sure if the intention was to actually change the rule in the QP version or if the brevity of the QP rules just further glossed over the distinction....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.