5 Posts

Fields of Arle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Buildings chosen blind because they are face down. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Garon
Canada
flag msg tools
The rules seem to indicate that the buildings should be face down on the game board. Thus, when building them you are choosing blind, not knowing what you will get. This seemed odd, especially when our first yellow purchase was an early cooperage which meant the buyer had no animals and got shafted. I assumed this meant we should b able to see the buildings so checked the rules . . .

But, it seems there is no reason to think they would be face up. In Setup (page 4)it says to determine them randomly then distribute them. All over this section it says things like, "as depicted on the right", "also shown in the illustration to the right", "See overall layout below". In accordance with that, the overall layout image clearly depicts the buildings face down. This same image already has all the other starting tiles set out ready to go. It nowhere says to turn them face up or to place them face up.

My first instinct is to say that obviously they should be face up (well, I guess that's my second instinct since we followed the illustration as a first instinct.), and I'm sure that will be everyone else's response. Certainly, any video I've seen shows them face up, and every one seems to talk as if they choose their buildings. But, I'd rather have the certainty that comes from actual rules. So, please tell me if I missed something or if there has been a rules clarification. Or, even if I've stumbled on to a problem no one else has noticed.

Thank you for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the rules don't say anywhere that you should place the buildings face down. The overall layout image doesn't have any buildings, it just shows the colour-coded empty building spaces.

Why the Overall Layout image is showing just colour-coded building spaces instead of face-up buildings is a good question - perhaps they don't want people to think they should have those particular buildings in use.

In any case, the rules don't mention anything about flipping the buildings face up before building them and what happens if you can't build the building you want, so I'd say it's pretty safe to assume the buildings are face up. The game is certainly much better that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
yah definitely should be face up. That's where all the planning and certain strategies come into play.

I am now curious to play this game with a stack of face down tiles (besides orange) and randomly getting what you get.

I MUST DO IT!

:D

it will be total chaos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
punkin312 wrote:
yah definitely should be face up. That's where all the planning and certain strategies come into play.

I am now curious to play this game with a stack of face down tiles (besides orange) and randomly getting what you get.

I MUST DO IT!

it will be total chaos!

That sounds horrible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
milenaguberinic wrote:
punkin312 wrote:

I MUST DO IT!

:D

it will be total chaos!

That sounds horrible!

yes! But I HAVE TO TRY- Now that I know about this random craziness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.