Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't really know about the components of the 2nd edition but even the 1st edition was a box full of plastic miniatures (investigators and monsters), cards, cardboard tokens and A LOT of floor tiles to build the buildings of the different scenarios. And it wasn't even one of those default boxes like Eldritch Horror or Ticket to Ride. It was a thicker one. Additionally the game included a thick extra booklet with all the scenarios. This stuff adds up.

Still I agree with you, 100 bucks is a lot for a game but considering the prices of other recent FFG titles like Fury of Dracula 3rd edition or Star Wars Rebellion this price seems "valid" - in comparison to the other prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
i do agree that the price point is quite steep this time round. especially when elements from 1st edition were supposedly removed and moved to the app. but of course we will know more when the rules/components lists actually comes out, where we can make a better comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the app certainly wasn't free for them to make. It does seem pretty high. $80 was how much the first edition was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100 dollars is the standard FFG price point for large games now.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
actmoon wrote:
i do agree that the price point is quite steep this time round. especially when elements from 1st edition were supposedly removed and moved to the app. but of course we will know more when the rules/components lists actually comes out, where we can make a better comparison.

App developers don't come cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully the preview video and pictures is only showing a subset of the box content. 1st edition had heaps more "stuff", tokens, cards etc.

And where are the puzzles? in the app now presumably?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be $65 online when it comes out, FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reveur 81
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
jhNz wrote:
Well, I don't really know about the components of the 2nd edition but even the 1st edition was a box full of plastic miniatures (investigators and monsters), cards, cardboard tokens and A LOT of floor tiles to build the buildings of the different scenarios. And it wasn't even one of those default boxes like Eldritch Horror or Ticket to Ride. It was a thicker one. Additionally the game included a thick extra booklet with all the scenarios. This stuff adds up.

Still I agree with you, 100 bucks is a lot for a game but considering the prices of other recent FFG titles like Fury of Dracula 3rd edition or Star Wars Rebellion this price seems "valid" - in comparison to the other prices.

From the french publisher : http://www.edgeent.com/jeux/article/les_demeures_de_lepouvan...

Quote:
2 Livrets de Règles, 24 tuiles Plateau, 8 cartes Investigateur et figurines en plastique, 40 cartes Objet Commun, 24 cartes Objet Unique, 30 cartes Sort, 37 cartes État, 40 cartes Dégât, 40 cartes Horreur, 24 pions Monstre et figurines en plastique, 16 pions Fouille/Interaction, 16 pions Exploration/Vue, 22 pions Individu, 4 pions Barricade, 4 pions Passage Secret, 18 pions Feu/Obscurité, 8 pions Mur, 4 pions Porte, 26 pions Indice, 6 pions Identification, 5 dés. Matériel du kit de conversion : 16 cartes Investigateur, 33 pions Monstre, et 4 pions Individu.

2 rulebooks
24 tiles
8 investigators cards + 8 miniatures
40 item cards
24 unique item cards
30 spell cards
37 condition cards
40 damages cards
40 horror cards
24 monsters tokens + 24 miniatures
16 search tokens
16 exploration tokens
22 character tokens
4 barricade tokens
4 secret passage tokens
18 fire/darkness tokens
8 wall tokens
26 clue tokens
5 identification tokens.
5 dices.

+ conversion kit :
16 investigator cards
33 monsters tokens
4 characters tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reveur81 wrote:
jhNz wrote:

From the french publisher : http://www.edgeent.com/jeux/article/les_demeures_de_lepouvan...

Quote:
2 Livrets de Règles, 24 tuiles Plateau, 8 cartes Investigateur et figurines en plastique, 40 cartes Objet Commun, 24 cartes Objet Unique, 30 cartes Sort, 37 cartes État, 40 cartes Dégât, 40 cartes Horreur, 24 pions Monstre et figurines en plastique, 16 pions Fouille/Interaction, 16 pions Exploration/Vue, 22 pions Individu, 4 pions Barricade, 4 pions Passage Secret, 18 pions Feu/Obscurité, 8 pions Mur, 4 pions Porte, 26 pions Indice, 6 pions Identification, 5 dés. Matériel du kit de conversion : 16 cartes Investigateur, 33 pions Monstre, et 4 pions Individu.

2 rulebooks
24 tiles
8 investigators cards + 8 miniatures
40 item cards
24 unique item cards
30 spell cards
37 condition cards
40 damages cards
40 horror cards
24 monsters tokens + 24 miniatures
16 search tokens
16 exploration tokens
22 character tokens
4 barricade tokens
4 secret passage tokens
18 fire/darkness tokens
8 wall tokens
26 clue tokens
5 identification tokens.
5 dices.

+ conversion kit :
16 investigator cards
33 monsters tokens
4 characters tokens.

Well that's no small amount of stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So the Conversion Kit includes 4 character tokens (I'm assuming to represent the allies from Call of the Wild) but not the character cards for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PretzelTwist wrote:
So the Conversion Kit includes 4 character tokens (I'm assuming to represent the allies from Call of the Wild) but not the character cards for them?

There are 22 character tokens listed in the contents of the 2nd Ed base game, but no character cards for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I spend $100+ on any game, I'll wait for some honest unbiased reviews about it first. There are plenty of other great games on the market that are cheaper. Also, those who have the fist edition may not want to spend that kind of money (same situation as Conflict of Heroes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
grahamj wrote:
Before I spend $100+ on any game, I'll wait for some honest unbiased reviews about it first. There are plenty of other great games on the market that are cheaper. Also, those who have the fist edition may not want to spend that kind of money (same situation as Conflict of Heroes).

I'm not sure that sort of sensible, measured approach has any place in board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
PretzelTwist wrote:

There are 22 character tokens listed in the contents of the 2nd Ed base game, but no character cards for them.

But why would FFG not include the relevant character tokens in the conversion kit list, like they did with the monster tokens?

You very well could be right, but it seems inconsistent, at the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
PretzelTwist wrote:

But why would FFG not include the relevant character tokens in the conversion kit list, like they did with the monster tokens?

What do you mean? The four character tokens *are* listed in the Conversion Kit components list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Anarchosyn wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
PretzelTwist wrote:

"Character tokens" clearly means something different - you use minis for the investigators, and we've seen them and they don't have a token base like monsters.

Perhaps the "character tokens" are to represent NPCs in the scenarios? And the 4 in the conversion kit let you use the CotW allies as NPCs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:

"Character tokens" clearly means something different - you use minis for the investigators, and we've seen them and they don't have a token base like monsters.

Perhaps the "character tokens" are to represent NPCs in the scenarios? And the 4 in the conversion kit let you use the CotW allies as NPCs?

Which was precisely why I raised an eyebrow at what Bleached suggested.

(i.e. I'm skeptical that the 22 character tokens are representative of conversion kit investigators, though I can't rule it entirely out).

grahamj wrote:

It's worth keeping in mind that one of the coolest parts of this game is rather unique: the game ships with 4~5 scenarios, but only the starting tile and goal remain consistent on repeated plays. The map layout, traps, events, monsters, items and puzzles all change every time you restart a particular scenario.

That kind of flexibility mitigates the largest complaint 1e had, namely the short shelf life of any one scenario.

Does that make it worth $100? Well, probably (I paid $100 for Space Hulk in the early 90s, and it had less replayability). Still, I too will wait for a review or two. I still suspect there are more changes under the hood that FFG hasn't detailed yet, and those might be deal breakers for me..

bleached_lizard wrote:

What do you mean? The four character tokens *are* listed in the Conversion Kit components list.

Maybe I misunderstood you -- it seemed you were advocating the 22 character tokens were representative of the 16 investigators in the conversion kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

Which was precisely why I raised an eyebrow at what Bleached suggested.

(i.e. I'm skeptical that the 22 character tokens are representative of conversion kit investigators, though I can't rule it entirely out).

I wasn't suggesting that. I was saying that the base game appears to include 22 NPC tokens, but no character cards for them. So if the base game NPCs don't need character cards, then the Conversion Kit NPCs don't need character cards either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
senorcoo wrote:

Close, 76.94
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Close, 76.94

Yeah, the whole new Asmodee NA pricing structure for OLGS has reduced the discount to 25%.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Close, 76.94

$84.99 pre-order right now. Yeah, good luck with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Close, 76.94

At CSI maybe, but it is indeed $76.94 at Cardhaus.

http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/mansions_of_madn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Close, 76.94

At CSI maybe, but it is indeed $76.94 at Cardhaus.

http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/mansions_of_madn...

Yeah, Cardhaus doesn't even have the suggested retail price being $85

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
MentatYP wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Close, 76.94

Same in Miniature Market site. Outch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.