Subject: How do you deal with big sleeved decks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in the process of sleeving my cards, and I didn't realize how fat (particularly the mini card decks) in height it makes the deck. I'm using the FFG brand sleeves. I have all the expansions and thought the decks unsleeved were big enough. How do you guys deal with this? Are you capable of still keeping them in one tall deck? Do you separate each deck into portions? Anything?

And as a side question, with these big decks, how do you store them? I'm thinking of picking up some horizontal decks to put them in, but don't know if some of you guys have better options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barks
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During a game, I keep the smaller cards stashed sideways in one of the smaller boxes. When I have to draw a card, I draw about 20 at once and shuffle through them until I get the appropriate card. Then I shuffle them and add them to the back of the pile. I hope that makes sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
We use those card holders: e-Raptor Card Holders 18L and 18S - now you can play Arkham Horror on a camping table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They get more Flat After a while. So if a Stack is to high I Split it and draw alternatively from each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrick Strauss
South Africa
flag msg tools
StarryAqua wrote:
I'm in the process of sleeving my cards, and I didn't realize how fat (particularly the mini card decks) in height it makes the deck. I'm using the FFG brand sleeves. I have all the expansions and thought the decks unsleeved were big enough. How do you guys deal with this? Are you capable of still keeping them in one tall deck? Do you separate each deck into portions? Anything?

And as a side question, with these big decks, how do you store them? I'm thinking of picking up some horizontal decks to put them in, but don't know if some of you guys have better options.

There are a few threads dealing with thinning of the condition and asset decks.

Found here:

Asset Reserve variant:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1411975/asset-reserve-varia...

Splitting condition deck:
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/131296-splitt...

or

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1589612/thinning-small-card...

In short this is a lovely thing to do.

I'll summarize my solution based on the threads I've read. I've only got up till Strange Remnants - missing UtP and SoC - so this might change for you.

Conditions;
Madness
Illness/Injury
Banes/Boons
Restrictions
Other

Asset Deck;
Weapons - all mundane weapons including trinkets which are non magical weapons
Services + Tasks
Magical - items, tomes and trinkets
Allies/Character

Unique Asset Deck;
Allies/Character
Tasks
Items

Done

Get yourself a nice little vertical card holder and you're golden.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tattersall
msg tools
Long homemade card holders with dividers, running the width of one of the big boxes; 2 for large cards and one for small cards, with a business card holder as an overflow for assets. Maps, rules, investigator and AO sheets and chits in another big box, with chits in 2 plano-style boxes. Accommodates base and all expansions and reduces set-up time. Cards remain in holders until required. Boxes bursting at the seams though and I suspect the next expansion will be another big box. Any hints as to next theme/AO? Would be nice to have something Innsmouth-related.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Orihalcon wrote:
[q="StarryAqua"]In short this is a lovely thing to do.

I'll summarize my solution based on the threads I've read. I've only got up till Strange Remnants - missing UtP and SoC - so this might change for you.

Conditions;
Madness
Illness/Injury
Banes/Boons
Restrictions
Other

Asset Deck;
Weapons - all mundane weapons including trinkets which are non magical weapons
Services + Tasks
Magical - items, tomes and trinkets
Allies/Character

Unique Asset Deck;
Allies/Character
Tasks
Items

Done

Get yourself a nice little vertical card holder and you're golden.

Hope this helps.

This might be the way to go. Thanks. And I'm curious... vertical card holders? I have loads of Ultra Pro deck boxes that open vertically. Or did you mean smaller deck boxes specifically for that card size that exist? I just recently ordered some Max Protection horizontal deck boxes that apparently fit nicely for sleeved mini cards laid on their side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrick Strauss
South Africa
flag msg tools
StarryAqua wrote:

This might be the way to go. Thanks. And I'm curious... vertical card holders? I have loads of Ultra Pro deck boxes that open vertically. Or did you mean smaller deck boxes specifically for that card size that exist? I just recently ordered some Max Protection horizontal deck boxes that apparently fit nicely for sleeved mini cards laid on their side.

Something like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d5/9d/af/d59daf40e...

Basically any type of tray where the cards don't have to lay down flat. Saves quite a bit of space this way.

Deck boxes are awesome too for storage. Depending on how hardcore you go with your tray solution you can just leave the cards IN the tray and store them that way. Seen a few custom box solutions where all the cards remain in their trays and can just be taken out and put down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious, what's the current card count for the biggest deck in EH? Is it even 200+? If not:

(that's less than 500 cards in that stack, after adding another expansion the current deck sits at 564)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Orihalcon wrote:
Something like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d5/9d/af/d59daf40e...

Basically any type of tray where the cards don't have to lay down flat. Saves quite a bit of space this way.

Deck boxes are awesome too for storage. Depending on how hardcore you go with your tray solution you can just leave the cards IN the tray and store them that way. Seen a few custom box solutions where all the cards remain in their trays and can just be taken out and put down.

Would be interesting. But if I follow the advice of separating every trait type from each deck into separate piles, might make that tray difficult. ;p

Dam the Man wrote:
Curious, what's the current card count for the biggest deck in EH? Is it even 200+? If not:

(that's less than 500 cards in that stack, after adding another expansion the current deck sits at 564)

I think the Research Encounters deck would technically be the biggest, if you put each set from every AO together. Otherwise, I would assume the Conditions deck is the biggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
After seeing this thread title, I realised I need to get my eyes checked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koverath wrote:

Mind sees what it wants to see devil ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koverath wrote:

Guess I wasn't the only one that was going to reply "lubricant".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
Unsleeve them

Seriously, how do people play with those things. I just got a game in trade and had to spent the better part of a day pulling those things off just so we could play the game without going insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
zpeteman wrote:
Seriously, how do people play with those things. I just got a game in trade and had to spent the better part of a day pulling those things off just so we could play the game without going insane.

Please note, that going insane is an important concept in this game meeple

Also, I find it easier to shuffle sleeved cards, apart from the fact that it prevents them from being marked (by greasy fingers, unskilled shuffling, or other mishaps). It's also more or less impossible to tell from which expansion the next card will come, because there won't be wear on them (only on the sleeves, and those, you can change).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.