Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the announcement of Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition (YES!!) being app driven co-op similar to Descent RtL it seems SWIA is the next logical property to receive the fully co-op app treatment. No real question here...just opening the floor to theories and conjecture on how long we'll need to wait for that.

Personally I was shocked MoM got an app before SWIA since it had been out of stock for a while.

Thoughts everyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Intellectual Properties are curious things.

Having an app for one or two of them does not change the assumed fact that FFG does not have a Star Wars license for electronic games. (So they would need to make some kind of agreement with the license holder first.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

Having an app for one or two of them does not change the assumed fact that FFG does not have a Star Wars license for electronic games. (So they would make some kind of agreement with the license holder first.)

Yeah that's most likely the reason it hasn't happened. Hopefully Asmodee can use their seemingly unending resources combined with the success of RtL and the impending success (hopefully) of MoM2 to work out a deal for the license to create an app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

Having an app for one or two of them does not change the assumed fact that FFG does not have a Star Wars license for electronic games. (So they would need to make some kind of agreement with the license holder first.)

Why is everyone so sure about this and that they need that license at all. They have dice apps and the companion app isn't usable without the game as well.
So does anyone have a link to a quote of a FFG employee or one from Disney?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

The argument against the point you present, though, is...a companion app a game? If so, how were they able to get the dice app approved? I guess it all comes down to marketing...

and maybe that's why the apps have all been described as companion apps and not games. Because you still need the physical boards and components to do anything with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkon wrote:
is...a companion app a game? If so, how were they able to get the dice app approved? I guess it all comes down to marketing...

It's an electronic product if the license holder decides it's an electronic product. Because there is no clear transition from a "helper app" like dice roller to "integral part of the game, even if the game can be played without it" or "the app is the game, the physical pieces are just convenience", the line between them can be drawn anywhere.

And that is a big hindrance. You don't spend time and effort if there is a chance a license holder can shoot you down. And certainly you don't want to go to court about what constitutes a digital game and what doesn't, because then everyone loses.

(So, you would want to have it in writing before starting the project - whether a license, or a confirmation that it won't be infringing on the license some other Star Wars licensee is holding.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very excited about MoM 2nd edition. However, ever since the Descent RtL app I've been clamoring for an Imperial Assault app. I really hope this happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
There's also a marketing reason why FFG may be dragging their heels on this one, even if they could get the license. MoM & Descent don't have the Star Wars brand. The app injects new life and content into properties that people may have gotten bored with. It keeps games viable for longer. The companion app is a reason to get out and dust off an old game and buy new expansions to work with the app. My guess is Star Wars products don't need the help because they're Star Wars products and everybody likes Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, do not forget that the app is not the Holy Grail. Yes it makes solo play an option and fully coop play for four people. But, if you have five players, having a human play the Imperial side is always the better option. Telling the app what happened so it can react is cumbersome, and the an AI will never be as good to play against as a human player.

At first, I was excited to have the app, but since I had time to think things over. I play with four friends, we do not actually need the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rinceart wrote:
Plus, do not forget that the app is not the Holy Grail. Yes it makes solo play an option and fully coop play for four people. But, if you have five players, having a human play the Imperial side is always the better option. Telling the app what happened so it can react is cumbersome, and the an AI will never be as good to play against as a human player.

At first, I was excited to have the app, but since I had time to think things over. I play with four friends, we do not actually need the app.

It's sorta tough to say having a human opponent as Imperial is "always the better option." We're talking about competitive, and cooperative here. They will always be two different animals, with differing reasons/desires to play either. Personally I tend to lean toward mostly enjoying cooperative games, but still very much enjoy some competitive from time to time. I've played 5 full D2E campaigns as the OL, and 1 SWIA campaign as the Imperial (I'm the owner, bet you couldn't tell). In fact, I yearn to play another SWIA campaign, it's been awhile.

That doesn't mean I don't absolutely love the RtL app, and VERY much want a SWIA analogue, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Malo
United States
Lake Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a reason why I'm holding on to my copy. I've been toying with selling my copy, because for some reason, it just hasn't clicked with my group. I believe it would go over much better with a real co-op hook to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
SeanLuc wrote:

It's sorta tough to say having a human opponent as Imperial is "always the better option." We're talking about competitive, and cooperative here. They will always be two different animals, with differing reasons/desires to play either. Personally I tend to lean toward mostly enjoying cooperative games, but still very much enjoy some competitive from time to time. I've played 5 full D2E campaigns as the OL, and 1 SWIA campaign as the Imperial (I'm the owner, bet you couldn't tell). In fact, I yearn to play another SWIA campaign, it's been awhile.

That doesn't mean I don't absolutely love the RtL app, and VERY much want a SWIA analogue, though.

I'd like one too but don't see it happening. IA is designed far more as a competitive game, to the point that there's an entire skirmish game in there that's quite popular. I don't see them introducing a third, app-driven, co-operative mode of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
SeanLuc wrote:

I'd like one too but don't see it happening. IA is designed far more as a competitive game, to the point that there's an entire skirmish game in there that's quite popular. I don't see them introducing a third, app-driven, co-operative mode of play.

I'm not so sure that argument holds water. I think the only barrier to an IA app is possible licensing issues. Both physical and digital things require development time/resource, but publishing and selling a digital app is vastly cheaper than physical product, especially things that include miniatures. Even if they go with the "first taste is free" method of RtL, they'd see insane returns on an SWIA app, if RtL's resulting D2E sales surge is any indication.

I fully expect to see future RtL campaigns/content for appropriate pricing (5-10 bucks per thinger) and will buy all of it. And I already own all of the physical stuff, for people who don't yet, they're getting those people to buy more of it just to facilitate more variety in the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's sorta tough to say having a human opponent as Imperial is "always the better option."

What I mean is that an A.I. will never present you with the same complexity and challenge as a human player does. A human player can do lots of things that an app simply cannot (or with much difficulty).

For instance, our Imperial player held back a little while we were still learning, and we suspect he even let us win a few missions at the beginning. Once we got more accustomed to the game, however, he began playing "hardcore," giving us a level of challenge we all enjoyed tremendously. Most of this came from his ability to adapt his strategy step-by-step based on our moves and being able to think ahead (sometimes several rounds into the future). This level of reaction and complexity can hardly be expected from an app. Our Imperial player even makes up narratives along the missions and acts (a little) like a dungeon master in role playing games.

Now, I am not saying that an app would not be welcome. It would be great! Hell, I might even give it a try in solo. But given the choice between playing a campaign with five people, one being with the Imperials, or playing with four against an A.I., I would always go with the former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rinceart wrote:
Quote:
It's sorta tough to say having a human opponent as Imperial is "always the better option."

What I mean is that an A.I. will never present you with the same complexity and challenge as a human player does. A human player can do lots of things that an app simply cannot (or with much difficulty).

For instance, our Imperial player held back a little while we were still learning, and we suspect he even let us win a few missions at the beginning. Once we got more accustomed to the game, however, he began playing "hardcore," giving us a level of challenge we all enjoyed tremendously. Most of this came from his ability to adapt his strategy step-by-step based on our moves and being able to think ahead (sometimes several rounds into the future). This level of reaction and complexity can hardly be expected from an app. Our Imperial player even makes up narratives along the missions and acts (a little) like a dungeon master in role playing games.

Now, I am not saying that an app would not be welcome. It would be great! Hell, I might even give it a try in solo. But given the choice between playing a campaign with five people, one being with the Imperials, or playing with four against an A.I., I would always go with the former.

Sure, that's a given. That context just wasn't in your original post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is apparently different that most here, in that a major thing keeping IA from actually hitting the table is that no one wants to play as the Imperial. We mostly want to just have fun, and odds are good that whoever is losing isn't having fun. Our first campaign that was the Imperial player, who was the owner of the game and would have gotten rid of it had the rest of us not wanted to continue as much as we did. We have not started a second campaign, or any of the expansions (which he purchased anyways).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The imperial player just needs an attitude shift. Win or lose, you're having an experience together. If you lose, at least the majority of players are winning, and if you win more than your share you can help the rebels more than you have.

You're always welcome to play against me in Play By Forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
The imperial player just needs an attitude shift. Win or lose, you're having an experience together. If you lose, at least the majority of players are winning, and if you win more than your share you can help the rebels more than you have.

You're always welcome to play against me in Play By Forum.

Yeah, generally I agree. The Imperial player was very down on the game, and getting crushed for 2/3 of the missions wasn't helping. I forgot we did a quick one-session Twin Suns campaign, and I played the Imperial. The wins were evenly split, and everyone had fun. Despite that, we would have had more fun had we all been on the same team. My group played, almost exclusively, Arkham Horror for years- the same group of guys primarily played co-op video games together for years before that. We bought heavily into X-Wing, tried liking it, failed, then found the co-op campaign and loved it. It's just the way our group is made up.

And, I appreciate the offer! As is I probably already spend too much time on "unapproved" web sites between 9AM and 5PM... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
And now Doom is announced and doesn't have an app, it's a 1v many crawler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
And now Doom is announced and doesn't have an app, it's a 1v many crawler.

After I saw that the theory of FFG using apps to reinvigorate a waning series now makes the most sense to me. Pretty good strategy it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
I don't see an app anytime soon. I look at it as one of a few possibilities.

1. Road to Legend didn't create any additional demand for Descent Product. If this is the case they may not bother with IA.

2. Road to Legend DID create additional demand. If this is the case then let it play out. They are already selling IA product quickly. Use the app to move other product.

3. They are already selling IA product about as fast as they can get it on shelves. No need to boost demand

4. They are not legally allowed.

Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really hope this happens. I held off on descent because I personally feel that IA had more theme that I would interested in.

The solo Variant with RAEV is very well done and have been using that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't played any game with a companion app yet.

That said, I don't see how it could work for Imperial Assault - how would the AI make sound tactical decisions and adapt to the rebel playstyle? If it did just 'home in on nearest enemy and attack', that's be pretty dumb. Would you have to input every rebel action into the app so that the AI knows what's going on? Why even have the physical components at that point?
Also, 4p as opposed to 5p is a straight up negative in my book.

I'm not a fan of the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VINDICATION!! Co-op companion app just announced by FFG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.