Daniel E
Germany
Hattersheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
Omnomnom
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow gamers,

i´m constantly looking to tweak my collection to get games to play for my wife and me. I am more of the board gamer, but she also likes them. Problem is, i can´t keep my taste for epic-space/fantasy-with-thousand-expansions-or-even-better-lcg games in check and keep buying games i´m selling or trading after half a year. I want to play games we both like, so i turn to you and try to explain, as best as i could, what we both like about games:

We both like:
- Ticket to Ride: Europe - She really likes it, could play it all the time and i´m almost always okay with it
- Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game - Both like the theme, also like the "New feel because of expansions" feeling
- Tokaido Deluxe Edition - The artwork and the flow of the game is really good for us
- Mysterium - Not a 2-player game at it´s best, but we really like it.
- Small World
- We are both gut-feeling players and not hardcore number crunchers.

Her tastes:
- Likes the all classic card games like Poker, Romee, and so on.
- Doesn´t like those 3 to 13124 hours epic games like Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) or something like this
- Doesn´t like the deck-building and tweaking aspect of LCG/CCG
- Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn wasn´t that good in her opinion

My tastes:
- All collect, sort, expand, tweak related
- The bigger the box, the more components, the better (ameritrash is probably the right description)

So, as you can see in my collection or the games i mentioned, we tried a lot of different games. So almost every genre is welcomed, maybe we missed some really gems.

Feel free to ask my all you want and i really appreciate your help!

Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders Duel might be the best 2 player game of all time
Patchwork is todays go to wife/girlfriend game
The Mystery Rummy series is a favorite of my wife
FUSE is one we have played a bunch lately
The Game of 49 another one we enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
Jaipur, and/or Splendor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Addleman
United States
Aurora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My favorite two player games are currently Patchwork and 7 Wonders Duel. I know those don't really fit your big box and more components criteria but I prefer smaller games for two players so those are the two that instantly came to mind and definitely worth a look anyways.

As far as bigger box games have you tried something coop? Maybe Eldritch Horror? If not I've heard Keyflower is very good with two.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dryden191 wrote:

Does she like the game play of those kinds of game? If so a deck builder or tableau builder (like RftG) or something like Blue Moon Legends (which I haven't played) might give a similar feel without the deck construction aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dryden191 wrote:

Her tastes:

My tastes:
- All collect, sort, expand, tweak related

These two things sound like they might not be compatible. I wonder if finding an outlet for that which isn't a 2p game to play with your wife could work. I have no idea what for that'd take though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
7 Wonders Duel might be the best 2 player game of all time
Patchwork is todays go to wife/girlfriend game
The Mystery Rummy series is a favorite of my wife
FUSE is one we have played a bunch lately
The Game of 49 another one we enjoy

+1 to the above suggestions

My wife loves TTR Europe so it sounds like they may have similar taste
Patchwork
7 Wonders Duel
Jaipur
Splendor
Dead Man's Draw (if you can locate a copy)
Agricola (shorter version is All Creatures Great & Small (if you can locate a copy))
Additional Map for TTR: Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland
Rummikub
Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
I note that you have a copy of Hive and Imperial Settlers, How does she feel about those games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk (third edition)! It has a big box with lots of stuff, you can spend lots of time painting the figures, but a lot of the scenarios play in an hour, and the rules are simple.

Ok, that's sort of a long shot recomendation, the theme might be too much for your wife...but it has a lot of 'gut feel' play.

My wife an I enjoy Jaipur,Splendor, Kahuna, and Raptor.

Also fun, but maybe too 'thinky' is Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, which has two very nice expansions that add a TON of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Abel
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
How about Blue Moon Legends? The box has several pre-made decks. She can pick one up and learn it and never change if she doesn't feel like it. You can learn each of the others and combine and tweak to your hearts desire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure I can put my finger on good reasons for the following suggestions - there isn't a single reason anyway;

Lanterns: The Harvest Festival

Koi Pond: A Coy Card Game

Quadropolis

Kodama: The Tree Spirits

Backgammon

Timeline: Diversity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul plus Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Delikowski
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of good suggestions above, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Diamonds. Very much like a classic card game, but with a twist. It's a small-ish box but there's a bunch of parts to it (like 110 "diamonds") haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Wade
United States
Alabaster
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Me and the Mrs. Really like Lords of Waterdeep. It scales really well from 2-5 players. You can add a sixth player with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel E
Germany
Hattersheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
Omnomnom
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

first of all: Thank you! So many nice recommendations, i will try to reply to everything said, sorry if i miss something:

- We haven´t played Hive yet, but Imperial Settlers was a hit.

- Patchwork and 7 Wonders Duel are on my "Will give it a shot" list
- Mystery Rummy is something i will definetly look at
- I not sure about FUSE. Space Alert wasn´t a hit and Escape: The Curse of the Temple is more like "Mew". Or is Fuse much different than those two games?
- She already plays Splendor on her tablet, so maybe we can take it to the table.
- Jaipur seems like a low risk - high reward investment
- Eldritch Horror: I would love to play it, like the Lovecraft setting, played a lot of Arkham Horror. But i don´t know if she like those dark and grim setting. And if she just looks past it and plays it for the mechanics, then we could already play something else.
- I first need to do some more homework on Keyflower, but it looks interessting
- Dead Man's Draw is already on the list, but we can´t get a copy.
- We already tried Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small and it didn´t work out
- Not sure about Stone Age, but i will do some more research about it.
- Because in the grim, dark future of Space Hulk (third edition) there is only war, i don´t think the seeting is her cup of tea.
- Kahuna looks like another low risk - high reward investment
- Raptor: Need to do some reading, but looks good.
- I already thought about Blue Moon Legends, it goes on the "will give it a shot" list
- Need to do more homework on Koi Pond: A Coy Card Game and Lanterns: The Harvest Festival, but i like the optics.
- We already own Quadropolis but the jury is still out on this one.
- I almost backed Kodama: The Tree Spirits, should have done it. I looks awesome and could be a hit.
- Timeline: Diversity seems to be Anno Domini with pictures, so maybe sometime.
- Been dancing around Istanbul for quite some time, but it didn´t really grab me. Maybe i´m to influenced by some negative reviews i´ve seen, but will reconsidere it.
- Diamonds looks nice, will look after a version
- Lords of Waterdeep is a name i have often seen here in the recommendations, but never realls looked after it, will do some research.

So, thanks to you all again! Really nice recommendations and i am still open to suggestions. If you have some questions or more recommendations what my wife likes to play so you can look after those for yourself, ask here or shot me a pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, I`m in a somewhat similar situation with my GF, we both have a tendency to prefer euro games but of a different kind (I`m towards the heavier spectrum, she`s toward the lighter). My thoughts regarding some of the mentioned games:

- 7 Wonders Duel and Patchwork: definitely give these a try, I`m very glad I got over my prejudiced view towards light games and bought these because we both REALLY like them (esp. 7W Duel)
- Eldritch Horror: my GF also doesn`t like grim, horror stuff but that hasn`t stopped her from playing this (it`s not her favourite game by far but that has to do more with the long playtime and the randomness). I can`t compare this to AH since I haven`t played that but EH feels much more like an adventure thriller kind of experience, not horror. You can also play up the ridiculousness and humour of most of the situations your characters get into (but I generally find everything Lovecraft to be ridiculous instead of unsettling). What ARE dark and grim are some of the illustrations on the back of condition cards, but you could read those to her (and it`s more fun that way also).
If you do decide to try this I suggest you be careful, since you are experienced with AH and other ameritrash games you probably will always see better moves than her at least for the first few games...in my opinion, instead of always trying to improve your partner`s decisions it`s better to just let them play, even if that means losing the game, it`s just more fun for everyone (some level of discussion is recommended of course, it`s a co-op). Fun to play solo with 2 or even 3 characters too.

- Keyflower: I`m definitely in the minority here, it`s a good game but I just don`t see why it`s so universally loved. It`s fun at first, but not enough variety for me (OK, in some games you`ll collect wood for points, in others stone, sometimes blue meeples and sometimes sets of every color meeples...but that is not variety in my book). And with 2P you lose the interactions for bidding and worker placement you get with 4P or more...and that`s the coolest aspect of the game. For similar medium-light euro games that work much better with 2P I suggest Orléans or Deus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel E
Germany
Hattersheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
Omnomnom
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked into Orléans and it looks really nice.

What do you think about the replayability of 7W and PW? Geeting stale after some games?

About Eldritch: Maybe i will try it, at least i can solo it. What is a realistic playtime for a normal 2-player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmm....for PW I can only speculate because we`ve only played it 5 times. I believe there is more to it than it seems at first. The balance between money (well, buttons) and filling up your board, rushing to the end to get all the bonus pieces or going slow and methodical etc...these make us wanna keep playing it (plus I feel like I still need to learn to beat the game, nevermind my opponent, because in most games I finished with negative points shake) . I suppose after 15-20 games or so it will rarely hit the table but that`s still a good investment.
Re 7W: there is some variability in the game with the wonders (you use 8 out of 12 I think) and the special power tokens (5 available each game out of 10) and the way the cards come out but it will start to feel same-y I guess. I played it 13 times and can`t wait to get the chance to play it again, so in this case same-y does not equal stale for me. I`ve seen rumours of an expansion coming out later this year, which can definitely help with replay value.

Re EH: actual playtime with 2P - from 1h30m to 2h or a little more if you win (generally if you play badly it ends faster). Plus if you don`t use an efficient storage solution setup easily takes 10-15 mins (tons of components and a whole lot of card decks to shuffle). If you really get into it and play often, I suppose you`ll rarely go over 2h including setup.

edit: have you considered Legends of Andor ? Haven`t played it, but on my wishlist for some time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.