Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't like the idea of using apps with my board games. But I do love Mansions of Madness. So I guess this is the one that will make me abandon my cardflipping, book reading and dicerolling ways.
I wish there was a variant where you could use cards instead. But, oh well. Made a pre-order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
lugiber wrote:
I really don't like the idea of using apps with my board games. But I do love Mansions of Madness. So I guess this is the one that will make me abandon my cardflipping, book reading and dicerolling ways.
I wish there was a variant where you could use cards instead. But, oh well. Made a pre-order.

Let us know what you think of it. It would be interesting to know the opinion of someone who has openly "converted" (considering the amount of app-hate on this site).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure will!
Let me just make it clear that I don't hate apps. I love apps, I just don't like them with my board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lugiber wrote:
I sure will!
Let me just make it clear that I don't hate apps. I love apps, I just don't like them with my board games.

For context, have you played any other app-enabled board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lugiber wrote:
That's one of the things I love in Alchemists. If you need/want to, you have an option to replace the app with a person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also most likely going to make an exception for this game because this is a game, from what I've read, with lots of mystery and exploring. So I'm willing to try it because it will also allow me to play the game solo and still have the satisfaction of the physicality of the board game pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, looking at the pictures, there are still stacks of cards and dice. In fact, there are four more dice than the 1st Edition had. Descent has had an app for a little while and AFAIK they didn't get rid of those things either. This is still a board game, just like Descent and X-Com. All the app does is help facilitate an AI opponent, which is awesome for people like me who have a hard time finding people to play these kinds of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Let us know what you think of it. It would be interesting to know the opinion of someone who has openly "converted" (considering the amount of app-hate on this site).

I was actually admiring how little app hate (or app centric discussion) this announcement has generated. It might be a sign of changing times, though it's likely more a product of a niche community with positive experience (many FFG fans either know Road to Legend or have heard of hype surrounding its versatility). Probably the latter given how much hate I still see being debated on the First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet forum.

To Peter,

Apps, for me, are like taxes -- whether they're good or bad really depends on how much tangible reward their requirement brings. In this case, having a unique scenario experience every time you start a session (aside from the starting tile and ultimate goal) basically is the gift that keeps on giving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
First I agree with the OP. I'm not a big fan of (app required) games. I like to be able to pull a game out and play it. not hunt down a tablet, and hope that it is charged enough to last the game. I do use phone/tablets for background sound, scoring and for One Night Ultimate Werewolf, even though you can play it without the app I never do. I like that option. The game is not broke if I don't have an electronic device handy. That's the way I see this MOM 2.0. I am pretty certain that since I have the original, I can make good use of 2.0 using the Keeper rules from the original (if I need/want to), but for quick games or solo, the app sounds amazing! I see this as an enhancement. You will still have the option to play with a keeper, (maybe not with the new scenarios), but a good Dungeon Master can always wing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
lugiber wrote:
That's one of the things I love in Alchemists. If you need/want to, you have an option to replace the app with a person.

Whether they like it or not! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
I am pretty certain that since I have the original, I can make good use of 2.0 using the Keeper rules from the original (if I need/want to),

Eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

I was actually admiring how little app hate (or app centric discussion) this announcement has generated. It might be a sign of changing times, though it's likely more a product of a niche community with positive experience (many FFG fans either know Road to Legend or have heard of hype surrounding its versatility).

True! The app-hate for this announcement has been much lower that it was for XCOM.

Quote:
Probably the latter given how much hate I still see being debated on the First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet forum.

I'm guessing because:

1) The people who hang around on the FFG forums are more used to it by now.
2) The Martian game is a Eurogame, and their related players are probably even more purist than the AT players over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
lugiber wrote:
I wish there was a variant where you could use cards instead.

Well there is, it's 1st edition! Joking aside I think that's why there's less fuss about this one - the GM-driven version already exists, and one of the big problems with it is the need for a GM. It's an iteration on the design in the only way that really makes sense.

haroth9842 wrote:

That's one of the things I love in Alchemists. If you need/want to, you have an option to replace the app with a person.[/q]
But that person has a really boring time. Have you played it that way? I've yet to see anyone who has.

shadowsclassic wrote:
First I agree with the OP. I'm not a big fan of (app required) games. I like to be able to pull a game out and play it. not hunt down a tablet, and hope that it is charged enough to last the game. I do use phone/tablets for background sound, scoring and for One Night Ultimate Werewolf, even though you can play it without the app I never do. I like that option. The game is not broke if I don't have an electronic device handy.
Is it confirmed tablet only or might it run on phones? If so that'll sort the convenience issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually pretty excited for this decision. As I've played more and more games, after getting into the hobby, I've found that I don't like an all against one style game the same way I like a fully co-op game. Having an interest in Lovecraft I of course researched Mansions of Madness but in the end came away deciding it wasn't the game for me.

The second edition is great as all the GM bookkeeping is done by the app and my friends and I can just sit back and be surprised by what the game throws at us. I feel this is a good use of an app in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
Is it confirmed tablet only or might it run on phones? If so that'll sort the convenience issue.

Not sure about phones, but it will run on a computer via Steam at least.

venrondua wrote:
I'm actually pretty excited for this decision. As I've played more and more games, after getting into the hobby, I've found that I don't like an all against one style game the same way I like a fully co-op game. Having an interest in Lovecraft I of course researched Mansions of Madness but in the end came away deciding it wasn't the game for me.

Ditto here for me as well. Skipped 1e, though I came close to owning it on a few occasions (a buddy even offered to give me the core box for free, but we never connected on that offer, partially due to it being so low on my list).

1. I'm not really into 'one v many' titles. I too prefer straight cooperative experiences (I'm not even really into semi cooperative). The asymmetry is cool, but all too often relegates the owner into the harder position (Dracula in Fury, Overlord in Descent, etc).

2. The bigger issue was the limited replay potential many claimed for the scenarios.

2e fixes both these concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Road to Legend works on my iPhone, so I don't see why this wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
Well, give a try. Playing Descent with the app and still a boardgame for me . The app only gives you some basic informations, you need all other info covered by rules, dices, cards or whatever to play.

By far, it's not a videogame. The app it's only a additional tool for the gameplay.

And in the preview, you can see lots of dices, cards, etc. Hey, you can see a boardgame too, still there !!!! Hahahaha

As a side note, works well on steam, so you can run in any PC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who grabs their tablet, goes to my playlists to play thematic music while playing boardgames?

I go to a friends house for Imperial Assault and plug it into his system so we can hear John Williams score.

For Eldritch/Arkham, I have a great 1920's/horror playlist (thanks to other posters here for that). I will definitely fire it up for this game, so actually using an app isn't a big deal.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:

For Eldritch/Arkham, I have a great 1920's/horror playlist (thanks to other posters here for that). I will definitely fire it up for this game, so actually using an app isn't a big deal.

Jorune

Cool idea. Any word on where that playlist is posted? Arkham forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

Cool idea. Any word on where that playlist is posted? Arkham forum?

I'd give this a listen too. The soundtrack I've used to good effect for Arkham Horror is John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. It is ominous and suspenseful, perfect for Arkham! (sorry for the derail)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:
I am pretty certain that since I have the original, I can make good use of 2.0 using the Keeper rules from the original (if I need/want to),

Eh?

As far as I can tell, second edition doesn't seem to be backwards compatible without using it as a toolbox to create your own scenarios. In other words, I don't think they're going to give you an outline for board set-up, clue generation, keeper action cards, etc.

The tiles (and possibly other components) might make great tools for custom first edition maps if you're into that, but I wouldn't expect to be able to play it without a way to buy the app without completely deconstructing and re-making scenarios by hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Jorune wrote:
Am I the only one who grabs their tablet, goes to my playlists to play thematic music while playing boardgames?

I go to a friends house for Imperial Assault and plug it into his system so we can hear John Williams score.

Jorune

I use the Resident Evil 1 soundtrack for MoM!

I'm hoping the app actually does some of this though. You can really cool things with reactive music - essentially producing a dynamic score for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am willing to give this one a try regarding the app more so than Descent.

MoM 2nd ED. was built around the app in mind. I feel the RTL for Descent 2 was shoe horned in after the fact.

Xcom was the first attempt... so of course its gona get CHANGE-hate by default.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:

Eh?

In other words I could always use the monsters, tiles, and investigators in the original game as well. If I preferred to play a one vs all game rather than use the app. I just think if you have the original set you are going to have a lot of options!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
soakman wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:

Eh?

As far as I can tell, second edition doesn't seem to be backwards compatible without using it as a toolbox to create your own scenarios. In other words, I don't think they're going to give you an outline for board set-up, clue generation, keeper action cards, etc.

The tiles (and possibly other components) might make great tools for custom first edition maps if you're into that, but I wouldn't expect to be able to play it without a way to buy the app without completely deconstructing and re-making scenarios by hand.

That's exactly what I was saying. Since the original game basically had more of a DM/God controller, you can use the new components as add ins for the original scenarios. Not to mention the mini's for Arkham, Eldritch and Elder Signs. This is just a win, win ,win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.