Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For setup on page 2, paragraph #5 instructs each player to take "$5 worth of goods". The sidebar illustration implies that money can be included in that $5. (I.e., $1 in wood, $2 in brick, and $2 in coins = $5).

So my takeaway is that money is considered a "good", or "goods". Yet paragraph #2 on the same page, due to sentence structure only, implies that goods and money are considered separate categories. Granted, I may be mistakenly drawing a conclusion based only on sentence structure. But still, I am drawing two different interpretations from the page.

Is money a good, or not?

If I had to play the game right now and was forced to draw my own conclusion, I'd play it that money is a good, based strictly on the sidebar illustration on page 2.

I totally realize this is an insignificant question when put in context with the rest of the game, but when I saw the disparity, my OCD kicked-in and I just had to ask.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation would be that money is not subsumed under the definition of "goods," but that the page 2 paragraph you mention should have instructed each player to take "$5 worth of goods and/or coins."

As you say, minor point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't notice that before, I only looked at the value for the actual goods. You would think that if money was included like that they would have had the coin icon= $1 before the bricks.

Maybe they meant to say: "Each player can take UP TO $5 in goods."

I would also say that Goods does not include money since on page 8 where it talks about where to store goods on your Player Board it specifically only mentions food, wood, and bricks. For scoring extra Money gains you points, but extra Goods does not, and on page 26 under the definition of goods it shows: "Goods: Includes food, wood, and brick."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: Money is not considered a "good" for most purposes in the game, but for setup, the player may explicitly take any combination of $5 as goods and/or money.

I don't have the final rulebook in front of me, but I believe that it is explicitly clarified in the rules for building that money does not count as a good when reducing a building price. And I think it is explicitly stated in the FAQs section at the back. We may have used "$5 of goods" as shorthand.

Edit: and we'll have to make the $5 of goods and money more explicit for setup if we do a second printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I just noticed that the player aid on page 25 also mentions that the starting $5 can consist of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.