Support:

Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Neat idea:

http://www.autoblog.com/amp/2016/07/25/norway-underwater-bri...

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
It will be interesting if they can pull it off. I wish the article would have given a few more details, i.e. the average width of a fjord. Got to be a ton of engineering issues to deal with, but if they can work it out, it would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's cost effective? That's surprising.

Cool if it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
That's cost effective? That's surprising.

Cool if it works.

Cost effectiveness isn't necessarily their first concern, Norway is comfortably rich, to say the least. But if you have fjords a kilometre deep, kilometres wide, surrounded by mountains of similar height and often made of granite, you got to come up with solutions.

I spend months there each year and it is already impressive to see the network of bridges and tunnels they have. Some of these tunnels have roundabouts and intersections in them, some spiral up inside a mountain to spit you out hundreds of meters above where you entered them onto bridges which then span fjords far beneath them. Some go down and up in steep angles deep below the sea.

It's quite a driving experience but it still takes ages to get anywhere. Count on an average of no more than 60km/h and due to the coastline distances often are much larger than you'd think at first. You're even slower than that if ferries are in the deal and they often are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. It seems like a floating bridge with a lift span would solve the same problem with proven technology and be easier to build and maintain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:
Interesting. It seems like a floating bridge with a lift span would solve the same problem with proven technology and be easier to build and maintain.

The article says that the Norwegian navy wants to be able to pass into the fjords, maybe your solution would not work for them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.