Subject: 18XX question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nathan palmer
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
I cut the brakes! Wildcard, bitches! Woooo!
I don't play 18XX games, but I'm curious about the genre. Are there any 18XX games where a corporation can own stock of other corporations?

So when one corporation pays out dividends it will go right into the operating funds of a different corporation...

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, these do exist, but it's pretty uncommon. The main one that comes to mind for me is 1841.

Please note it's a comparatively long and complex 18XX title, so I wouldn't recommend that as your first one even if you're used to heavy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
nathan555 wrote:
I don't play 18XX games, but I'm curious about the genre. Are there any 18XX games where a corporation can own stock of other corporations?

Yes, 1841 most notably.

In practice the owning of side-shares and movement of dividends is almost incidental in 1841. More strategically significant is the ability of companies to start and own and control other companies, thus potentially having companies inside of companies inside of companies -- which depends on companies being able to buy/hold shares in other companies, but goes so much further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the matrix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
In practice the owning of side-shares and movement of dividends is almost incidental in 1841. More strategically significant is the ability of companies to start and own and control other companies, thus potentially having companies inside of companies inside of companies -- which depends on companies being able to buy/hold shares in other companies, but goes so much further.

In which case, this is almost exactly how real railroads operated in the timeframe. The current day Union Pacific or BNSF each have over 300 once independent railroads within their present corporate structure, either by direct sale or take-over, or some other chicanery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.