Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: When is a survivor too busted to be useful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
My first play through 4th year. Been trying really hard to avoid severe injuries but some inevitability slip through and even when a survivor lives, I'm not sure whether to just replace them with a fresh unused character. One has a destroyed back: -2movement and can't use any weapon with 2+strength!

Sure, I can deal with that so long as I'm fighting lions and antelopes, but it looks like future monsters are going to have a lot more toughness to crack through. Should I ditch him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how many spares you have.

Generally, unless they've got some nice stats, abilities etc. or there are simply no alternatives, I'd ditch ones with...
-movement penalty
-speed penalty
-restricted ability to use survival
-restricted ability to use armor

less likely to be ditched, probably only if there's nothing redeeming:
-other negative stats
-annoying disorders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it depends on how many other survivors I have. If I have enough to easily replace the severely injured, I do so. The severely injured then usually do dangerous settlement events if the rewards aren't survivor-specific.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Some innovations allow you to heal certain severe injuries, too, so keeping them alive might allow them to return to fights later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Use them as intimacy farms until you get Family. Even with Protect the Young you can still get bad rolls.

There are also events that have some bad roll chances where they are good throw aways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep most of mine with severe injuries just get left at home and used in dangerous situations, hopeless fights or when something comes along and kills X population.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
They are useful as long as they can make babies sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I love to boil the crippled alive in the Sun Pool in a People of the Sun campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
t3clis wrote:
Oh, I love to boil the crippled alive in the Sun Pool in a People of the Sun campaign

Nothing better than Papa Poots' Stewed Vegetable Soup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
emodiu5 wrote:

Speaking of which,can newborns be sent out immediately on the following hunt? I didn't see anything against it but wonder if I missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The actual duration of a "Lantern Year" is unknown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't ditch him. He's lucky!

I've had survivors that just won't die. They fail every single possible roll unless it would kill them. Just send him out there with fist and tooth. He will be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken C
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
esin wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:
They are useful as long as they can make babies :sauron:

Speaking of which,can newborns be sent out immediately on the following hunt? I didn't see anything against it but wonder if I missed something.

I like to think the comic in the back of the rulebook explains that particular weirdness! The protagonist in there falls asleep as a young girl trapped in a strange box and wakes up as an adult... so there must be some kind of weird thing aging the settlement's children into adulthood...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaz wrote:
esin wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

I like to think the comic in the back of the rulebook explains that particular weirdness! The protagonist in there falls asleep as a young girl trapped in a strange box and wakes up as an adult... so there must be some kind of weird thing aging the settlement's children into adulthood...

I like to think that the nominal attention given to childhood in Kingdom Death is deliberate and allegorical. The glossing over of maturation and becoming adults is because the universe of Kingdom Death is harsh and unforgiving. There is no place in it for innocence or warm childhood memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Grothe
Canada
Longueuil
flag msg tools
How desperate are you? Any banged up survivor can become a light in the darkness at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.