Subject: Wolverine victory in 4 turns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't quite qualify as a session report, as the whole game lasted only four turns.

It was my "Relentless" team with Wolverine. (Each of my 22 teams is named after one of the two Basic Action cards around which each team is built.)

Turn #1: I acquire the 4-cost Wolverine: Formerly Weapon 10.

Turn #2: I acquire a second, 4-cost Wolverine: Formerly Weapon 10.

(I have four on the team -- rather needlessly, as I've rarely had to use more than one. This is the one instance I opted to buy a second one on the second turn just to see what would happen.)

Turn #3: Bag empty. Fill bag. Draw four dice. Wolverine and three energy. Wolverine rolls level 3. I field him. Attack my opponent who has no one in the field. Wolverine is unblocked, so he is 12A, 8D.

Score: 20-8.

Turn #4: Draw four dice. Again -- Wolverine and three energy. Wolverine again rolls level 3. I field him. Attack my opponent who still has no one in the field -- with four character die in his used pile. (I don't remember if they didn't roll character faces on his turn, or if he didn't have the energy to field them; either way, they weren't in the field.)

EDIT: From the photo, it seems that my opponent had 3 character die and one action die. Two of the characters (Deadman and Green Arrow) seem to have been just purchased. I don't know what the other character die is below. I'm guessing it rolled energy, which he used in acquiring one of the other die.

With Wolverine again unblocked at level 3, he is 12A, 8D. Game over.

Score: 20-0.

I actually felt guilty.

While I honestly think all of my teams are good, this has been one of my favorites. Granted, some of them are better than others, but a lot of this game is luck of the draw and luck of the roll. I've lost with really good teams because the dice refused to cooperate (see example, below), and won others I shouldn't have because I got the right draws and rolls while my opponent had horrendous streaks of terrible rolls.

I've only lost once with this team, and that was against my cousin who defeated me with my own "Teamwork" team (consisting of 7 Avengers who each boost each other, and Nick Fury who allows them all to be fielded for free when he's active), and even that was a 1-0 game in which I had two Wolverines, both who refused to roll a character face throughout nearly the entirety of the game.

While this team is good, this time I happened to have the right draws and rolls at the right time, while my opponent had been unable to field anyone to counter my attacks. (Although, that is why I have that Relentless Basic Action with its global, and a few other contingencies to keep Wolverine from being blocked, when I'm able to utilize such.)

Sometimes the dice are most annoyingly uncooperative. Not this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel guilty your opponent didn't field a single blocker. It's possible they rolled poorly. When your up against weapon x don't reroll your sidekicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimABassPlayer wrote:
...It was my "Relentless" team with Wolverine. (Each of my 22 teams is named after one of the two Basic Action cards around which each team is built.).... (Although, that is why I have that Relentless Basic Action with its global, and a few other contingencies to keep Wolverine from being blocked, when I'm able to utilize such.)...

Just in case you plan to play competitively at all, this is essentially the reason why the only two officially banned cards right now are the two cards with the same Global Ability: Relentless and Swords of Revealing Light.

http://wizkids.com/blog/2016/04/15/swords-of-revealing-light...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
JimABassPlayer wrote:
...It was my "Relentless" team with Wolverine. (Each of my 22 teams is named after one of the two Basic Action cards around which each team is built.).... (Although, that is why I have that Relentless Basic Action with its global, and a few other contingencies to keep Wolverine from being blocked, when I'm able to utilize such.)...

Just in case you plan to play competitively at all, this is essentially the reason why the only two officially banned cards right now are the two cards with the same Global Ability: Relentless and Swords of Revealing Light.

http://wizkids.com/blog/2016/04/15/swords-of-revealing-light...

What I don't understand is how is the global on "Relentless" (which either player can use) any worse than Justice League's Deadman: Possessive Talents card, which enables the player who has it fielded to prevent a single character from both blocking and attacking for as long as the Deadman character is fielded.

In my view, that Deadman card is far more egregious than "Relentless" -- particularly when the effect of the Deadman card lasts indefinitely (as long as he remains fielded) and only benefits one player.

At least the "Relentless" global is open for use by either player, and only lasts the one time each turn they pay to use it.

If they're going to start banning cards, they should ban Deadman, too. And then where does the banning stop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I also have Gwen Stacy: Spider Ally on that team -- whose card has a similar blocking ability as the "Relentless" global, but as an ability, not a global, as such limiting its use exclusively to the player who has her fielded. At least the "Relentless" global is available to both players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a lot easier to remove a character than it is to block a Global Ability.

And Gwen is limited to a single use per die per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:

So is the global. "Pay mask. Target character cannot block." Single use, per die, per turn.

The Deadman card is even worse. Just put him in the field, pick an opposing die. That die cannot block OR attack as long as Deadman is in the field. And it's not easy getting rid of a Deadman that stays back in the field but doesn't engage, yet it's ability stays in use for the whole game and prevents not just blocking, but attacking, too. If any card should be banned, it's that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
JimABassPlayer wrote:
pk2317 wrote:

So is the global. "Pay mask. Target character cannot block." Single use, per die, per turn.

The Deadman card is even worse. Just put him in the field, pick an opposing die. That die cannot block OR attack as long as Deadman is in the field. And it's not easy getting rid of a Deadman that stays back in the field but doesn't engage, yet it's ability stays in use for the whole game and prevents not just blocking, but attacking, too. If any card should be banned, it's that one.

After playing a number of games with people who are much better at Dice Masters than I am, I've learned that having a way to remove someone from the field is something you need to consider when building a team. There are tons of cards out there who are very dangerous when they are sitting on the field, doing their special ability, but not blocking. It's a smart idea to always have something to get rid of a die that is just sitting out there. Action dice are harder to remove, but having the ability to do direct damage, or capture, or something, always needs to be considered.

The new D&D set has a card that should be banned (the bard who gives every one of your attackers a ridiculous bonus when you attack), but abilities like Deadman can be worked around without too much problem. They are definitely annoying, but not game breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimABassPlayer wrote:
pk2317 wrote:

You can use the Global as many times as you have a Mask to pay (using the Professor X Global, that can be quite a lot).

You can only use Gwen's ability once per Gwen Stacy die, and then only if you attack with her, *and* have a Bolt to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.