Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this is pure speculation because I doubt anyone knows at this point, but I'm curious if they will re-release the 1st edition contents in future 2nd edition expansions. They clearly state that the conversion kit will be included and will allow you to use more investigators and more monsters. So, do I need to buy 1st edition to have those?

By the way, at least CSI is out of stock on 1st edition. Will be interesting to see if they produce any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering about that too. I've been on the fence with MoM for quite a long time, but I will probably pick up 2nd edition I'm not too familiar with everything in 1st edition (base game + expansions), so I'm also wondering what they'll release, like investigators.

According to FFG's website the base game, Call of the Wild, and Forbidden Alchemy are all awaiting reprint.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As another that skipped 1e, it isn't worth the investment. Well, unless you're interested in One v Many styled play, or hand crafted scenarios with limited replayability (this isn't always a negative -- I play T.I.M.E Stories after all).

The monster and investigators will be included in the conversion kit, which we're thinking comes in the core box whether you want it or not. So having the 1e content will allow you to use the miniatures, but the conversion kit will offer tokens to supplement these if you lack them (33 monster tokens are listed in the components for the conversion kit). The 16 extra investigators will likely be proxiable with the 8 included miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
As another that skipped 1e, it isn't worth the investment. Well, unless you're interested in One v Many styled play, or hand crafted scenarios with limited replayability (this isn't always a negative -- I play T.I.M.E Stories after all).

The monster and investigators will be included in the conversion kit, which we're thinking comes in the core box whether you want it or not. So having the 1e content will allow you to use the miniatures, but the conversion kit will offer tokens to supplement these if you lack them. The 16 extra investigators will likely be proxiable with the 8 included miniatures.

Having actual miniatures for the investigators and monsters instead of proxies absolutely makes it worth it. Besides, you can use the map tiles and have more options during gameplay. 1E stuff is basically an expansion now to the new version. It definitely seems worth it to own, why wouldn't you want more diversity in a story telling/exploration game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got a message back from FF. I asked:

"Hello there! I am very excited to see the release of MOM 2nd ed with an app. As a mainly solo player and/or coop with my wife, it means I will be picking it up. However, as a completionist, it bothers me a bit that I may have to buy 1st edition to be able to play with all of the possible investigators and monsters using the conversion kit. Is that true? Or might those investigators and monsters be available in future expansions for 2nd edition? Thanks!"

Their response:

"Those investigators and monsters may become available later."

That is good to see. I usually have faith that Fantasy Flight will do the right thing, and it looks like that will be the case again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious if they'll take a similar approach to Imperial Assault (own) and Decent (have not played) by offering smaller pack expansions, as well as bigger ones. I'm thinking similar to the Ally and Villan packs in Imperial Assault or theHero and Monster collections in Decent.

Edit: Thanks for reaching out to FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy first edition, and am kicking myself for not getting Call of the Wild. Not sure if it's going to be reprinted now. (Anyone want to sell or trade?)

It is similar in the Keeper vs. players aspect to Descent and Imperial Assault, but is slower paced, with less of an emphasis on combat and more on skill tests, and with a longer and more complicated setup, which is the main thing that keeps it from hitting the table as often as it could. Love the game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:

Having actual miniatures for the investigators and monsters instead of proxies absolutely makes it worth it.

Worth is relational to cost, and that's an unknown quantity (especially with 1e being universally OOP).

With 8 expansions, and the core, you're looking at a significant outlay of cash (again, especially with the OOP nature). It isn't worth it to me given the creatures are already usable out of the box using the tokens. I suspect miniatures will be drip-fed into the 2e game for these creatures as we move forward.

Sarcasmorator wrote:
I really enjoy first edition, and am kicking myself for not getting Call of the Wild. Not sure if it's going to be reprinted now. (Anyone want to sell or trade?)

It is one of the three in the reprint queue at FFG's official Upcoming Product Release page.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:

It is, see my post and link above.

Edit: looks like Enon covered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Zaphod wrote:

Having actual miniatures for the investigators and monsters instead of proxies absolutely makes it worth it. Besides, you can use the map tiles and have more options during gameplay. 1E stuff is basically an expansion now to the new version. It definitely seems worth it to own, why wouldn't you want more diversity in a story telling/exploration game?

While I agree with you largely, the reason against what you are saying is the cost.

Are the 49 extra minis plus a pile of tiles worth the extra $$$?

That's a steep price.

Luckily I already own all that stuff and I was SOOOO happy FFG is throwing 1st edition owners a bone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you guys know, those 1E games have been in the reprint queue for a long time. Forbidden Alchemy has been there since 04/2015. I've been checking that page for months now. So, take that For what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
It is one of the three in the reprint queue at FFG's official Upcoming Product Release page.

Yeah, but it's been there since last year, long before this announcement. Worried it'll be canceled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

Yeah, but it's been there since last year, long before this announcement. Worried it'll be canceled.

I think their statement saying that the 1ed figures may become available in the future seals the fate of 1ed. That along with marketplace confusion make it seem unlikely 1ed is coming back. I'm glad I have all the 1ed stuff - it really is a great game despite the flaws, and we still play it, so I can see bringing it out now and again when someone wants to play Keeper.

Now I guess I'll have to start making noise about bringing Middle Earth Quest back - I think that's last on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Sharp
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, they have removed all Mansions of Madness 1st ed stuff from their "Upcoming" list. It is no longer listed as "awaiting reprint".

Edit: Me know English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
nooo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.