Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Hurst
United States
Lancaster County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or is it more of a 2-player / 4-player team type game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely can. How much you enjoy it is up to your group. It pretty much only supports the cut throat method you get in two player, but expanded to three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and it's absolutely fine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah, really? That's rules supported? Must have missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Hurst
United States
Lancaster County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:

It's not expressly stated, but it's also not impossible. Just play it like normal and rotate the first player marker among the three players.

I prefer these games as 1v1 contests. More players makes for more chaos and that's very not fun for me. But some like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

It's not expressly stated, but it's also not impossible. Just play it like normal and rotate the first player marker among the three players.

I prefer these games as 1v1 contests. More players makes for more chaos and that's very not fun for me. But some like it.

If this is the case, and there's no official variant, OP I would be extremely wary if you plan to play this mostly with 3 players. I strongly believe it would not work well. I could see it working ok as a 2v2 game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it works perfectly with 3 players.

I've done 4-players no problem.

It's the same as Magic: The Gathering multiplayer - either you like it or you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

If this is the case, and there's no official variant, OP I would be extremely wary if you plan to play this mostly with 3 players. I strongly believe it would not work well. I could see it working ok as a 2v2 game, though.

What about it wouldn't work from a technical perspective? Set aside preferences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

It's not a variant... it's on the box.

Says 2-4 players.

Pretty sure you could play more players assuming you have enough dice/cards etc. if you wanted. Game plays the same regardless, just more chaos basically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

What about it wouldn't work from a technical perspective? Set aside preferences.

Technically? Nothing, I'm sure. But I think it would tremendously change the tone of the game, and not toward the better. I would expect that if the same group of people played this both at 2 player and 3 player, they they would rate 2 player higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

Technically? Nothing, I'm sure. But I think it would tremendously change the tone of the game, and not toward the better. I would expect that if the same group of people played this both at 2 player and 3 player, they they would rate 2 player higher.

There are plenty of people who enjoy FFA MTG. This would be pretty much the same. Whether or not we like it isn't really relevant. It's a system that works fine. As someone said above, the box is labeled 2-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Briggs
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 4 player game - everyone for themselves at the weekend and its a lot of fun but some cards are way overpowered the more people are there. For example I had silver snake and then played mist typhoon and killed 8 conjurations and allies and added 8 status tokens to the snake with 1 action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, as I've said, it works very well at more than 2 players. The dynamics change a bit, but the game is still very good.

And it also has a very different dynamic than multiplayer Magic, because there's inevitability here. Once your board is full, you're going to be forced to take actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke deWaal
Canada
flag msg tools
It's playable at 3 and 4 players. That said, you're looking at way longer match times (I've played 2-2½ hour matches in 4 player), and the game plays more like a game of chicken: "Don't attack me, I've got something nasty in my hand, I'll come after you." Until someone finally snaps, goes all in, and then gets promptly crushed while they're exhausted. So it's playable, but it doesn't reward strategic play in the same way as 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
There needs to be a great multi-player rule set to promote aggression, and not turtling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
We played a three-player free-for-all Coal-Off at the weekend. For those who don't know, Coal-Off is a casual format where each player gets 30 random cards and 10 random dice and everyone plays with Coal as their Phoenixborn.

Whether by fluke or design, it was very close and heaps of fun. Two of us went into the final round with one or two remaining life, the third player had four (I think).

My only real issue is that it can become difficult to avoid situations where you can't realistically win but whatever action you take is likely to determine which other player wins (i.e. 'Kingmaking').

In my MTG days, I kind of liked the attack to your left format for multiplayer because it helped to address that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kikathumper .
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have fun with 3-player by playing Attack to the left, but cards that target can be player's choice and sweep (e.g. Typhoon) affects everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.